Bug Reports

Superb MOD I like it a lot. The only bug I found was choosing Austria in "Single Player", "Continents",... It crashed. I start the game again and chose this time another country and it worked.
You're the second person to report this, so thanks for the report. Unfortunately I can't reproduce it, nor do I get any errors at all when selecting Austria. There is however a glitch that occurs sometimes with one of the Austrian leaders, it throws a python exception sometimes when trying to view the leaderhead (but then corrects itself imediately), but that's all, and achilleszero can't find any problems with the model, also this is rare, and just seems to be a "touchy" issue. My only conclusion is that some video cards simply can't handle rendering the Franz leaderhead, and causes a crash, but this is an excedingly rare bug and limited to very few users so it seems to be machine specific. I don't think we can logically do anything for it. BTW, out of curiousity, does it crash every time you select Austria, or was it just a "freak" occurance?

I had a CtD when selecting Sweden in the World War Wolf scenario.

I'm having a recurring hang-up. On the AI's turn immediately after this save, there seems to be some kind of endless loop - seems to never finish, at any rate, though, up til now, there hadn't been any long wait times before.

Attachments

• QuickSave.Civ4SavedGame
    545.9 KB · Views: 69
I'm having a recurring hang-up. On the AI's turn immediately after this save, there seems to be some kind of endless loop - seems to never finish, at any rate, though, up til now, there hadn't been any long wait times before.
Thanks, I knew there was still an AI logic issue that could cause a hang related to city defense. Needed another instance of it occuring, I will forward this to jdog. I'll also fix your save for you so you can play on, I'm fairly certain it will be being caused by a single unit in a city (I just need to locate it, which can take a while).

Unfortunately I've lost my old debug dll, and need to build a new one. Achilleszero, do you have a copy of a 0.9.6 debug dll lying around? I deleted it from filefront and don't have a copy, and I'd rather not have to build one from scratch if I can avoid it.

I'll look into this. Thanks for the report.

Thanks, I knew there was still an AI logic issue that could cause a hang related to city defense. Needed another instance of it occuring, I will forward this to jdog. I'll also fix your save for you so you can play on, I'm fairly certain it will be being caused by a single unit in a city (I just need to locate it, which can take a while).

Thanks, that would be great! :goodjob: I've got an interesting game going and would like to continue! Could you please PM me the file when you've got it?

I'll just post it here. It will likely take a couple of days, but no longer. If achilleszero doesn't have a debug dll for 0.9.6, I'll have to build a new one, which takes a while on this computer, and I'll also need to track down the offending unit, which can take a bit itself. That is assuming that this is the same bug I've seen before that caused a hang, which was related to AI city defense, if it's a different bug it is possible I wol't be able to fix the save, but it's very likely I can, I've been able to fix the save for all other hangs that have been reported at least.

@Dragonlord

That save isn't recognized by BtS, it just doesn't show up on the list of saves I can load. The icon looks different as well, so something is wierd, it actually looks like a Vanilla civ save game icon, not a BtS one. Also I opened it up with Notepad++, and the header says it's a FFH save. So I can't check it out, and even if I could it wouldn't load because it would say the mod was wrong.

OK, I looked at the WBSave file in a text editor, and I see this for Sweden:
LEADER_FRANCISI

This is the same issue that's been reported for the Austrian Empire crashing. That's been reported twice so far, and I know that the Francis Leaderhead is touchy, ie I can get python exceptions when viewing him. But on my computer it instantly corrects itself and apears fine, just seems a bit touchy. What must be going on is some Graphics Cards cause a crash when trying to render him, but it apears more prevelant then I originally thought. I'd really like to know, does this happen every time you try to play a game as Francis, or is it random (try setting up a custom game and selecting Francis as your leader, and see if it crashes every time or not)?

Achilleszero, could you take a look at the Francis leaderhead? Something is wrong in it, and it's causing crashes for some users. If it's not fixable, do you have any ideas? I mean we could drop him in the next build, or cut Austria or whatever you want to do. But I'm not comfortable with having a leaderhead that causes crashes for some users being in the mod.

I say just cut Francis. Ive been looking at all the LH's trying to improve and/or add shader versions, and there are funky things going all with alot of them. I never get any errors in-game, but the nif structures themselves are suspect. Turning the routine procedure of adding shaders into an impossiblity. Its most likely blender thats doing it, and I can usually fix these things by using my program. But it doesnt always work because sometimes the LH mesh is so discombobulated or put built wrong, that the best thing to do is build it from scratch (which I can not do). Also I thought Franz was also once reported as doing this same thing? Either way I say cut whoever is fouling up. That will open the doors for another leader.

Any word if a Debug DLL will be available from the Rev guys any time soon?

I said Franz, but I meant Francis I. Francis is the cause of this bug. Also it's your call on cutting him or not, as you're setting up the leaders in the next major update with new art, but it's going to be hard finding a good looking leaderhead to fill the open slot. As far as the debug dll is concerned, I really have no idea. You can look at how that's going in the RevDCM forum, jdog claims he has a working one, but neither Aforess or I can build one, so I don't know.

@Dragonlord

That save isn't recognized by BtS, it just doesn't show up on the list of saves I can load. The icon looks different as well, so something is wierd, it actually looks like a Vanilla civ save game icon, not a BtS one. Also I opened it up with Notepad++, and the header says it's a FFH save. So I can't check it out, and even if I could it wouldn't load because it would say the mod was wrong.

Oops - sorry, guess I uploaded the wrong file by mistake. I'll try again this evening when I can get back to my own PC.

Interesting.

I reported random crashes earlier and couldn't find any pattern to them. But, now I remember that at least 2 out of 3 games where I had crashes included Austria. Then again, no save, so feel free to ignore this.

Oops - sorry, guess I uploaded the wrong file by mistake. I'll try again this evening when I can get back to my own PC.

All right, here goes, hope I get the right one this time... ;-)

Searching again, I see I had the wrong directory the first time... sorry, stupid mistake!

This time I gave it a distinctive name, that made it easier to find.. :D

This is definitely the right one...

Attachments

• LoR Carthage Hang.CivBeyondSwordSave
    333 KB · Views: 49
Well Dragonlord, this is a weird one. Almost thought there was nothing going on, because the hang wol't occur using a debug dll. As a last resort I checked it using a standard dll, and it hung. That really shouldn't happen, as all the AI logic code and anything that could cause a hang is exactly the same with a debug and final release gamecore, the only difference is a debug version has asserts enabled (warnings to tell a programmer something has gone wrong in the code). Also I can't track it to an individual unit, as cycling through the civs also doesn't reproduce the hang, usually this works because it allows me to isolate the offending civ and then narrow down on the unit, but nada, I'm at a loss.

However I was able to play on due to the debug dll, and no hang happened afterward, so I think this save should be fine. I just pressed enter, so I have done nothing but advanced you past the hang. Hope that helps, I'll pass along your save and all the information I can provide to jdog, but it's unlikely he'll be able to find anything since the behavior of this bug is so strange.

I always get the strange ones... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the fix Phungus - I'll give it a try this evening. If the hang recurs, I'll get back to you.

Edit: Your fix worked just fine. No more hangs... very strange.

I've been playing a crash prone game myself that seemed to be tied to diplomacy, and Austria is playing (although it seems like more than just Austria causing it). Never been able to recreate, but going from maybe 2-3 crashes in very end-game to 5+ and before I even got to the middle of game (including some from BC). Art errors are annoying to deal with.

Also, I do not know where the fault (revolutions, BTS, or something else) lies, but if you hit enter you'll go to war, but no war declaration. Any ideas? Never seen anything like it before.

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-1325.CivBeyondSwordSave
    694.1 KB · Views: 47
Can't find anything wrong with that save. Now that we know the Francis I leaderhead can cause crashes on certain systems, he'll be removed in the next update. You can try updating your video card as well, that's all I can think of. Save seemed fine to me though.

Hi phungus,

I have repeated CTDs with my recent game and hope you can help. Unfortunately, the crash pop up gives me no details what causes the crash. More strangely, not only this file crashes when Im trying to load it, but also the autosave from half an hour earlier. Do you got any clue what might be the reason? Im playing the Persians on a standard map, on emperor.
The game went quite lucky for me up till now so I would be sad if I wouldnt be able to continue...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Darius.CivBeyondSwordSave
    619.6 KB · Views: 43
I see nothing wrong with that save, played through a few turns, and no issues. Your issue sounds like an LSystem bug. Once we finally straightened out all the main art bugs in 0.9.6 and released 0.9.6c there were a couple more issues with the art in the full release, specifically there was an LSystem bug that was corrected in the most recent update. That's why there are versions 0.9.6c+, and the current 0.9.6c*. Anyway, reinstall the current release, as I think you have an older version, or patched with the wrong version (there was a patch available up until recently, one for the Enhanced Graphics, and one for the standard Full, if you installed the wrong patch, ie installed an enhanced grpahics patch on a standard full install it would cause this crash, specifically with the behavior you describe). If the issue persists, let me know if you are using the enhanced graphics add on, as I suppose there may be an LSystem bug in there, and I'd like to know if there is, but my money is on the fact you're not updated to 0.9.6c* or installed an incorrect patch, eitherway reinstalling with the currently available 0.9.6c* build will fix your problem.

Top Bottom