Bugs 2.1 The Gauntlet Revisited

In 1650, despite having half our income in his pocket already Haniibal extorts our entire treasury which costs us the granary at Istanbul....

That's very bad news. We lose our settler factory. :( Did we also lose a worker or unit?

crap, we lost the granery? ok, now whats the plan? bede, any new towns (ours or others)? looks like i finish the new granery and try to build troops to stop this nonsense.

Greetings all! I'm happy to be here, and hope to improve my play a little while not being too much of an anchor. :)

Unfortunately, :sad: my copy of C3C isn't due in until Friday. :cry: I gave them Grahamiam's name and everything, but they still wouldn't rush it... So please skip me until then, or if you'd rather have a different player, then let me know and I'll step aside. I hadn't realized this would start so fast, as I've been waiting to see Bugsy's SG list get down to 2 as he had indicated...

ok, roster update:

Team 2.1
grahamiam <- UP
Microbe <- on deck
Gozpel
Bede <- just played
RowAndLive <- waiting for UPS

RowAndLive, whether you want to play or not is completely up to you. I'm sure we'd all be glad to have your company and we've really just started. this is demigod on a cramped map so expect a tough game.

if you used my name then expect C3C in 4 to 5 months :D

No units lost, just the granary.

Bursa was building warriors waiting to get to a decent spt for archer training.

One new town on the east coast, and a settler trapped in the marshlands as I misread the map

Had a message last night from Amazon that they now won't SHIP until the 29th. :sad: Given that, the skill level, and my total unfamiliarity with C3C, it is only fair to the team to allow for a more experienced player, not to mention one who will actually be able to contribute. So please remove me from the roster. I shall lurk, though, and try to be ready for BUGS3.

Thanks to all for the opportunity! :)

RowAndLive said:
Had a message last night from Amazon that they now won't SHIP until the 29th. :sad:
see what happens when you use my name :D

RowAndLive said:
Given that, the skill level, and my total unfamiliarity with C3C, it is only fair to the team to allow for a more experienced player, not to mention one who will actually be able to contribute. So please remove me from the roster. I shall lurk, though, and try to be ready for BUGS3.
Thanks to all for the opportunity! :)
ok, getting too far "in-over-your-head" would have probably been more frustrating than fun. hope you enjoy all the new gizmo's in C3C. it really does change things :)

looks like things will be ok for me tonight so I will play and post later.

Preflight check: Yikes, looks like were getting out expanded here. Move Settler NE. gonna settle on the BG as I see no other feasible choice.
Maximize research to get and switch to Philosophy to be done in 19T. we will grow into it and it will do ok. Wake the warrior in the Great White North and start moving him south.

China up The Wheel, IW, and Myst; Carthage up The Wheel, IW, Myst, and Math

IBT: A warrior moves into

T1: 1475BC A warrior auto moves into Beijing so I lower the lux slider and shave 2T off Philo. Settler and Warrior move into position.

T2: 1450BC Found Izmit -> spear. Philo down to 12T due to pop growth and new town. Shave another 3T off it by changing the tax collector in Iznik to a scientist and placing the new citizen in Bursa onto the silks

IBT: Portugese complete the Oracle

T3: 1425BC Carthage now up MM as well. China up MM and Math and has a lot of gold. Hopefully we get Philo 1st.

IBT: Silks connected. Ederine warrior -> spear; Iznik curragh -> worker

T4: 1400BC Dingy goes 2T east to look at the island, lower lux slider so we don’t lose so much money

IBT: Istanbul granary -> warrior (MM for growth and to fill the granary; Uskudar worker -> worker

T5: 1375BC nada

T6: 1350BC our dingy is being chased by a barb galley. Looks like he’s gonna get caught in 2T

T7: 1325BC Move dingy 1T south and fortify, hoping for the best.

IBT: dingy gets dinged but survives; Istanbul warrior -> settler

T8: 1300BC Warrior fortifies in Istanbul, waiting for the settler. Dingy moves on his way. Philo in 2T due to some roading.

IBT: Hannibal asks us to get our warrior out of his land, ok

T9: 1275BC

IBT: Philosphy -> CoL (no one has that); Bursa barracks -> spear; Edrine spear -> spear.

T10: 1250BC Well, someone got to Philosphy 1st but our local antagonists haven’t. I’ll leave the trading up to Microbe but I feel we should try to leverage the Wheel and IW at least (Carthage and China will give us Wheel, IW, and 11g). Also, we should stay on to CoL or Lit. Change now because we haven’t invested any gold at this time.

Also, I have not selected a build for Edrine yet so you can chose what you wish. Maybe a temple to help out with our culture or start the archer craze. Same deal with Bursa.

*hides eyes* G-man your PM box is full. Since R & L has dropped, do you have room for Gengis now that he is back? He'll probably pipe up here in the thread.

*runs away with eyes covered and runs into the wall* :wallbash:

roster update:

Team 2.1
grahamiam <- just played
Microbe <- UP
Gozpel <- on deck
Bede
<open>

i'll add the next player once they request to join.

preturn: I switch Edrine to settler (not against rule as grahamiam didn't set it).

I sell Philosophy to China for Iron Working, Wheel and 11g. We have absolutely no resources. We are screwed. Without being able to upgrade we will only be able to build useless units.

Philosophy to Carthage for Mysticism + 31g. Map Making is just too expensive.

I raise sci to 100% to get CoL in 12 turns and fire our scientist in Iznik.

The turn was rather uneventful so I'll just skip most of the boring turns.

1125BC: pillage a road connecting two Chinese towns.

Found some fishing towns.

1000BC: IBT our curragh is killed by barbs!

We can build FP now. I set Bursa to FP this turn but you can change.

CoL is in 3 turns. We have to trade for Map Making asap (we should have done so with Philosophy). Then build galleys in all our costal cities and expand to those nice islands around us. That will be the game breaker.

I left a settler unmoved. We can move it to SE for another fishing town in the deserts.

I think this start is as bad as the original one.

well, looks like bugs wanted to keep the variant as tough as possible. i'm definitely getting my fill of archers lately :lol:
hopefully we can get MM soon with CoL and then settler that nearby island. that is, if it's worth settling (haven't looked at the save). does china and carthage have iron/horses?

roster update:
Team 2.1
grahamiam
microbe <- just played
gozpel <- UP
Bede <- on deck
<open>

Ok, I got it. Those islands looks ok and we really need more towns.

If the last roster spot is still open, I'm game. Looks like a real challenging start, nice and cozy, but I really like the variant, as pre-builds are (IMHO) the human's biggest near-exploit. Version 1.22, correct? I probably wouldn't be able to play until Monday, so however that fits me in the rotation, if that's OK?

ok, thanks Justus. glad to have you aboard :) this is definitely "nice and cozy" :lol:
roster update:
Team 2.1
grahamiam
microbe <- just played
gozpel <- UP
Bede <- on deck
Justus II

Pre-turn - There is really no good spot for the settler where he is, so I send him south.

Change the sliders a bit, to get CoL still in 3t and earn 2gpt for a turn.

975bc - Luxes 10% and science down to 70%.

Change Iznik to settler as pre-build for galley.

950bc - Science down to 50% and CoL next turn.

925bc - We learn Code of Laws -> Lit in 11t at 90%.

CoL and 13g to Cartage for MapMaking and Maths.
China gets CoL for 62g.
Both the other civs knows Construction, we might get it with help of Literature.

Istanbul settler -> settler.
Whip galley in Iznik for 20 shields.

Konya founded -> galley

900bc - Cartage kicks our warrior out of their territory.

Iznik galley -> galley. Load settler and warrior in galley and send it to the island.

875bc - Our galley 2/3 survives barbgalley.

China completes the Pyramids! Carthage starts the Lighthouse and China MoM.

Edrine archer -> archer.

850bc - Byzantines completes MoM. Cartage starts ToA.

Another barbgalley shows up and the chase is on, send the galley south.

Carthage knows Polytheism.

Sinop founded on island -> worker

Uskudar worker -> galley
Whip galley in Izmit

825bc - Izmit galley -> galley

800bc - Portugal completes the Lighthouse.

Move galley into a trap and it will be attacked next turn.

Istanbul settler -> settler

775bc - Galley survives with 1 hp to spare.

Load another settler-pair into a galley

750bc - Another stupid barbgalley threatens our latest galley, have to land settler.

Lit in 4 turns, try to get Poly for it, China doesn't know that yet.

Next settler to the island should secure the horses way down to the SE, we can build 5-6 towns on this island.

what, no welcome for Justus the new guy? :lol:

tough map and barbs stink but what can you do? :) glad to see horses are in reach on that island nearby.

Team 2.1
grahamiam
microbe
gozpel <- just played
Bede <- UP
Justus II <- on deck

@Justus: we are using v1.22f, sorry for not mentioning that. Monday should be fine, lets Bede look over the situation carefully :)

Top Bottom