Building a true "colonial empire."

Mouthwash

Escaped Lunatic
How would someone (on the Earth map) create a colonial trade empire? Something like the British or Spanish empires at their height. I've always dreamed of doing it without cheap tactics like taking all of Europe.

I did a game like that a couple months ago.

Great Lighthouse + Astronomy rush, then proceed on colonizing all of the American coast. Cities should pay for themselves as you found them, and become really juicy once you chop a tribunal. You might want to transfer your capital to the new continent to diminish colonial maintenance later on when you expand deeper into American land. Then proceed on conquering the Old Continent once your huge empire's production kicks in.

I did a game like that a couple months ago.

Great Lighthouse + Astronomy rush, then proceed on colonizing all of the American coast. Cities should pay for themselves as you found them, and become really juicy once you chop a tribunal. You might want to transfer your capital to the new continent to diminish colonial maintenance later on when you expand deeper into American land. Then proceed on conquering the Old Continent once your huge empire's production kicks in.

Not just the Americas, but in Africa, Asia, or Australia as well. Colonizing is much easier if you double all ship movement speed in notepad, which I do.

Anyway, GLH rush gives you a nice expansion potential as long as you keep building em cities on the coast.

I feel like beelining Astronomy once you get Currency and Calendar. But then, it depends a lot on the map, on lvl difficulty, on your initial position, on religious blocks and so. Code of law is also huge in this kind of game where you expand very far from home, but i feel like you should be able to get it somehow from other AIs while you go for a quick galleon monopoly.

If you're interested in it for the roleplaying purposes, I'd recommend you try the Rhye's and Fall of Civilization mod (it was bundled with BtS, so you should already have it). Netherlands or England can have some fun Unique Historic Victories along those lines.

But on the default Earth18 map... block out a couple cities in Europe, get Astronomy fast, send settlers out. Build Forbidden Palace to keep down colonial upkeeps, switch to State Property as soon as it becomes an option.

I'd probably play as England and claim the British Isles and maybe Scandinavia if possible. Build the GLH and settle the African coast while beelining astronomy (don't know whether it's quicker to lib astronomy). Then you can start settling the Americas and Australia. Build the Forbidden palace in America to get rid of colonial maintenance, maybe chop it out in some forest heavy place. Then just avoid corporation until you get communism.

Alternatively you could also turn of vassals which will eliminate colonial maintenance.

hmm, an interesting topic, I believe mad scientist actually did this as King George in his Next generation RPC's, and TMIT did a lets play on this with Bismark (it was on a terra map, but basically the same thing your talking about). Maybe you should check those out.

Played an Earth game as England on monarch with no civilizations in the Americas and it's absurdly easy. I settled Scandinavia, took Paris and built the GLH. I libbed communism before I had chance to build the forbidden palace on the east coast of North America (even though I had a great engineer ready). I've almost finished settling the coastline and the first AI's have just recently teched astro, they're a whole era behind. I even managed to get a few cities in Morocco, South Africa and Australia.

Challenge: Build a national wonder on every continent - NA,SA,Europe,Asia,Africa,Australia (extra-hard: plus Japan).

hmm, an interesting topic, I believe mad scientist actually did this as King George in his Next generation RPC's, and TMIT did a lets play on this with Bismark (it was on a terra map, but basically the same thing your talking about). Maybe you should check those out.

I actually did a shadow writeup on king george also, committing to the western hemisphere even earlier than mad did :lol:.

Ormur said:
Played an Earth game as England on monarch with no civilizations in the Americas and it's absurdly easy. I settled Scandinavia, took Paris and built the GLH. I libbed communism before I had chance to build the forbidden palace on the east coast of North America (even though I had a great engineer ready). I've almost finished settling the coastline and the first AI's have just recently teched astro, they're a whole era behind. I even managed to get a few cities in Morocco, South Africa and Australia.

How does one start an earth18 map without Inca/Aztec/America in the new world?

EDIT: The OP reminded me of an England Earth-18 Monarch map I played about a year ago where I refused to allow myself any more than 6 cities in my possession at any given time. Capitulates and Granting Independence to colonies ftw. Up to that point it was my best Earth18 game.

I just went into world builder and removed the starting units. It didn't cause any trouble but maybe they still count against the 18 civ limit and thus prevent colonies from being spun of. I think a more proper way to do it is outlined in the King George game thread by mad scientist.

I ended up with the whole of the Americas apart from the extreme furthest north and south. Founding 50 cities meant I ran out of proper English city names. I fell back on naming them after famous Englishmen, especially those that really have colonial cities named after them (Darwin, Wellington, Stanley)

Have you guys tried this kind of game with the mod Legends of Revolution ?

The Empire stability concept makes it really more challenging and realistic.

Top Bottom