Bye for now, Civ 6 - It was nice getting to know you

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 and 4 both had serious divergence from each other and from 1 and 2. Stacking in 3 is not relevant to 4, where being in a stack was a liability due to collateral initiative (you could, if you got whaled on by a stack, get it eliminated over the course of 2 turns by a significantly smaller force with no realistic counter-reaction between them in civ 4). The reason is the change to how siege worked in 4 compared to 3. Civ 2 was similarly very different...losing EVERYTHING when you lose once on defense is a pretty crushing disincentive unto itself and might have been a good model with more modern UI controls.

The frustrating thing for me, reading through threads like this, is that players make wrong assumptions about every model. 1UPT is "slow" in civ 5 and 6, but this is not the fault of 1UPT. It's a serious fault of the design teams for those games, but there is nothing in principle dictating 1 UPT has to be slow, that ranged/mounted has to dominate it to alpha-strat degrees, or that city management has to be an input-laden chore. The civ 6 design team left it that way, but blaming 1UPT for that doesn't give it a fair shake.

Movement rules, # movements per unit class, temp stacking similar to when a new unit is produced in a city with a garrison, production rate, relative strength per era/city, functional cycling, accurate displays, accessible information...these are things that can be incorporated into a 1 UPT model. The support unit/other layer concept with attaches is reasonable too. 1 UPT can be made tactically deep and viable. So can stacking or limited stacking.

If the game doesn't do it, doesn't offer interesting choices frequently, doesn't care about rote inputs, then yes it will feel slow...and the difficulty introduced by hidden rules is the kind of fake difficulty that has no place in this franchise.
I appreciate the explanation, thanks.

And I agree completely on the separation between <problem areas> and the attributed cause people like throwing at it. I want these flaws to be discussed in more depth instead of just arbitrarily deciding that one thing is the root cause of it all and following the logic backwards to justify it. Only then can progress actually be made; irrelevant of Firaxis actually making the ingame changes.

We have a modding community which we're all pretty proud of I think, and ultimately we discuss these things because we want to, and not because they might eventually make it ingame in some form. That'd be ideal, of course! But it isn't the primary goal when someone makes a thread, in my opinion.

I really don't understand why Firaxis still go 1upt while it's clear they don't want to code AI to deal with it properly. Might as well go back to Mupt in this case. At least the game would be challenging and AI threatening.

I have to agree here. I personally love 1 UPT, I think it makes warfare much more engaging than MUPT did....but it is signficantly harder on the AI. And that's not a little problem, that's not something you take a few days and code out, its a big deal. Now in my perfect world I would take a 1 UPT game with a great AI to back it up....but game companies have shown they don't have the will to do that. And I get that....its business, you shouldn't spend time coding if it won't help your sales that much.

But if you aren't going to work the problem, you need to design the game to reduce it, and MUPT as was shown in Civ 4 is much easier to make competitive.

I still honestly find it unbelievable that some people actually like stacks of doom more than 1UPT. I mean yeah okay, the AI is more challenging like that, but that is literally only because the system is terrible. There is almost no strategy or tactics whatsoever involved with stacks. All you need to do is to have enough units and of the right type. It turns the whole combat part of Civ into a game solely consisting of macro, but no micro whatsoever. That's a whole dimension lost. A game being harder doesn't automatically make it better. If that's what you want, you're better off playing something like Battletoads instead. If we're comparing a system which is good but easy versus one which is bad but hard... I'd take the former any day of the week. No contest. Don't get me wrong, I loved Civ IV back in the day as well, but 1UPT was probably the best change that ever happened in Civ's history and I can't even imagine going back to stacks after experiencing the difference between them. If there's anything that could actually make me not want to buy Civ VII if that ever comes out, it would be going back to that. Instead of just giving up on the current system, I'd rather remain patient and hope that they actually manage to make the AI more competent at using it, because that's really the only downside to it
/endrant

Anyway, as far as the other stuff OP mentioned, I somewhat agree but all of that is easily fixable with mods, so it's not really an issue. There are numerous mods out already which rebalance religious beliefs and make it more important, and the new patch already made the religious units less spammy. There are ones which tune the exact % a eureka/inspiration boost gives so you can lower that if you want. I don't really see why units embarking is a problem considering that every turn in Civ represents years or decades so it doesn't seem very strange that a camped-up unit squad could have time to chop some trees and make some simple boats out of them in the earlier eras, or have some inflatable dingies or amphibious vehicles with them in the latter ones, etcetera, not to mention that Civ has never been very realistic to begin with so idk why you'd be hung up on this particular detail of all things. And I don't agree at all that Civ VI lacks urgency; Civ V definitely did but here you have new decisions to make all the time even when you're at peace due to how district management and policy cards work. In fact I used to play Civ V on epic most of the time but I've resorted to standard more so in Civ VI just because relatively speaking Civ VI takes more time due to how many things you have to do all the time. Though I will agree that it feels a bit like you don't have to min/max everything perfectly in order to win, but that's more related to the AI's weakness than the gameplay design. The AI+ mod is definitely a step in the right direction for that part at least. And a unit hard cap? That... might increase performance and reduce turn times, but for gameplay it'd be awful. It makes no sense for a game as large scale as this. Supply limits are understandable in RTS games like Starcraft, Age of Empires etc but not so much for turn-based ones if you ask me. Can't say I like that idea very much

^^^^ Oni, pretty much nailed everything I feel about on this. The Ai+ mod is a good start. I also prefer BIG maps so the YAMPGC is also a must have mod. Other things I like modded are the Warmongering which I think needs adjustment but that is just me.

^^^^ Oni, pretty much nailed everything I feel about on this. The Ai+ mod is a good start. I also prefer BIG maps so the YAMPGC is also a must have mod. Other things I like modded are the Warmongering which I think needs adjustment but that is just me.

That post gave a disingenuous representation of stack combat, just like 1UPT is often treated.

I have to agree here. I personally love 1 UPT, I think it makes warfare much more engaging than MUPT did....but it is signficantly harder on the AI. And that's not a little problem, that's not something you take a few days and code out, its a big deal. Now in my perfect world I would take a 1 UPT game with a great AI to back it up....but game companies have shown they don't have the will to do that. And I get that....its business, you shouldn't spend time coding if it won't help your sales that much.

But if you aren't going to work the problem, you need to design the game to reduce it, and MUPT as was shown in Civ 4 is much easier to make competitive.

Civ 4 AI, especially pre-BTS, had egregious bonuses. It wasn't just stacking. It was tactically quite bad but could overwhelm you.

There are quite a few things that could have made the AI more functional from a design perspective in civ 6. De-emphasizing ranged (big AI weakness, significant balance issue anyway), scaling up distances between cities, making chokes more rare are some examples. Something as simple as "infantry = backbone of army" + AI bonuses + AI emphasis on infantry tech would make overcoming the AI much more difficult, even if its tactical ability remained awful. Wars without significant positional or tech advantage would tend to stalemate. That might not be fun, but it would make the AI more effective.

In addition to misrepresentations of the gameplay of the models, there are pretty significant design flaws present in civ 6 that overshadow the 1UPT vs MUPT discussion that are somehow getting lost in favor of trying to sell one or the other.

That post gave a disingenuous representation of stack combat, just like 1UPT is often treated.

Civ 4 AI, especially pre-BTS, had egregious bonuses. It wasn't just stacking. It was tactically quite bad but could overwhelm you.

There are quite a few things that could have made the AI more functional from a design perspective in civ 6. De-emphasizing ranged (big AI weakness, significant balance issue anyway), scaling up distances between cities, making chokes more rare are some examples. Something as simple as "infantry = backbone of army" + AI bonuses + AI emphasis on infantry tech would make overcoming the AI much more difficult, even if its tactical ability remained awful. Wars without significant positional or tech advantage would tend to stalemate. That might not be fun, but it would make the AI more effective.

In addition to misrepresentations of the gameplay of the models, there are pretty significant design flaws present in civ 6 that overshadow the 1UPT vs MUPT discussion that are somehow getting lost in favor of trying to sell one or the other.

Even something as simple as moving ranged units into being a form of support unit that can attack could potentially have alleviated a lot of issues, and it feels like it wouldn't take a lot of effort to get the AI to manage that properly (although I'm sure would open up a host of other issues).

And yeah, the stuff like missionary spam blocking units in some ways just makes the 1upt issues even worse, as is some of the AI priorities (basically, the AI seems to build a load of units early, but they seem to rarely build units later in the game, even while being invaded). If we just had an improved AI, a lot of these complaints overall would vanish.

I still honestly find it unbelievable that some people actually like stacks of doom more than 1UPT. I mean yeah okay, the AI is more challenging like that, but that is literally only because the system is terrible. There is almost no strategy or tactics whatsoever involved with stacks. All you need to do is to have enough units and of the right type. It turns the whole combat part of Civ into a game solely consisting of macro, but no micro whatsoever. That's a whole dimension lost.
Well, okay, fair enough, but currently the AI is doing what it would do to create stacks of doom, it just can't stack them.

I mean, I don't see a force of combined arms--infantry, artillery, ranges, cavalry--come dance around my border for 50 turns before finally declaring a surprise war. If the have knights, that's what I see a mass of. If it's missing some iron and/or horses, I might see a mass of crossbowmen instead. The way they've implemented strategic resources in this game isn't doing 1UPT any favors in the tactics and strategy department.

Key quote:

"In Civ 5, every unit needed its own tile, and that meant the map filled up pretty quickly. To address this, I slowed the rate of production, which in turn led to more waiting around for buckets to fill up. For pacing reasons, in the early game I might have wanted players to be training new units every 4 turns. But this was impossible, because the map would have then become covered in Warriors by the end of the classical era. And once the map fills up too much, even warfare stops being fun."

From this essay:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonshafer/jon-shafers-at-the-gates/posts/404789

And to boot, my understanding is that maps are overall smaller than those in Civ V.

Anyone familiar with a board game called Titan? You recruit stacks of monsters and march them around looking to crash into weaker stacks. But the twist is that when you do so, you pull out a map specific to the terrain you're fighting in, and then you decompress the stacks and fight with them 1UPT style. The best of both worlds?

Something as simple as "infantry = backbone of army" + AI bonuses + AI emphasis on infantry tech would make overcoming the AI much more difficult, even if its tactical ability remained awful.

One thing I always thought Civ 3 (I think it was 3) did that I liked was having an offensive and defensive value. Right now the reason horses are so strong is because there is no real downside to the speed. When horses had terrible defensive values it would lose badly to even a swordsman who attacked them. Spearmen would decimate on the offensive. So in Civ 6 if horses would get beat on the defensive by melee then you'd have to be careful with how you use them.

EDIT:

And to boot, my understanding is that maps are overall smaller than those in Civ V.

Anyone familiar with a board game called Titan? You recruit stacks of monsters and march them around looking to crash into weaker stacks. But the twist is that when you do so, you pull out a map specific to the terrain you're fighting in, and then you decompress the stacks and fight with them 1UPT style. The best of both worlds?

So basically go back to Civ3 mechanics.

Compared with what we get now, IV had brilliant AI..
after beating deity dozens of times (which took months and months of learning process, not like now with winning the highest diff on release day), i still got killed by some rather well planned attacks now and then.
I still could not win some games cos AIs got too big, advanced and so on.

That's all you can ask for imo.
And nopes, that did not require several expansions.
IV Vanilla deity was very very difficult. Warlords probably even more so.

t's just one big steaming pile of poo ... buggy, rushed, imbalanced and totally underwhelming.

Firaxis have their work cut out for them fixing it this time around.

Unpopular opinion, but shared by many others.
We have much lower expectations by now, cos games are usually rushed out.
And still, Civ 5 & 6 stand out as really bad money grabs for me.
There are always those who are easily impressed, but real fans of this series..for them it's heartbreaking what they release under a name that once stood for A++++ quality.

after beating deity dozens of times (which took months and months of learning process, not like now with winning the highest diff on release day), i still got killed by some rather well planned attacks now and then.

I don't know Civ 4 was released back in 05. This site was around, but not as useful as today. Players are much better at these kind of games. With that said I think people are getting better at Civ faster than the computer AI is.

I appreciate the explanation, thanks.

And I agree completely on the separation between <problem areas> and the attributed cause people like throwing at it. I want these flaws to be discussed in more depth instead of just arbitrarily deciding that one thing is the root cause of it all and following the logic backwards to justify it. Only then can progress actually be made; irrelevant of Firaxis actually making the ingame changes.

We have a modding community which we're all pretty proud of I think, and ultimately we discuss these things because we want to, and not because they might eventually make it ingame in some form. That'd be ideal, of course! But it isn't the primary goal when someone makes a thread, in my opinion.

Production is absolutely slower in more recent games. A lot of it has to do with the forbidden subject (Mod's orders), so I'll avoid that (though it does leave me without a way to say "why"). But even the most basic glance at tile yields/production numbers can tell you this. In Civ V, a mine provided +1 production to start. In IV, it provided +2. Both were boosted by later techs, but generally a given tile would always provide more production in IV than in V. In III, it was +2 on a hill/mountain or +1 on flatland. Buildings were mostly a wash between those systems, all providing %-based bonuses to production. Yet, Mechanized Infantry cost 110 production in III, 200 production in IV, 375 production in V and a whopping 660 production in VI.

Now, VI has tile yields that compare to III/IV's due to quicker upgrades (mines getting improved yields with Apprenticeship and Industrialization, IV's comes at +1 with a railroad on the tile), but its buildings do not provide %-based modifiers unlike in III/IV/V. Trade routes help, but enough to make up for more than 3x the cost? I don't think so. III's was the lowest of all, but some production would be lost to corruption so it's hard to directly compare (though there were plenty of ways to eliminate or reduce corruption). In Civ III, a factory provides 50% production in the city, doubled by a power plant. In IV, it's 25%, and again doubled with power (IV had very powerful resource tiles that had higher base yields than were found in III, so the actual production numbers are closer than it seems at first). In V, factories provide only 15%, and nuclear/solar plants also provide 15%, with the weakest tile yields out of the three. VI again has powerful tiles, but no %-based modifiers on factories. Now, in VI, you can overlap factory/power plant zones to significantly ease production woes, and this should be acknowledged. I personally think it's problematic because in order to get a decent rate of production you need Industrial Zones/Commercial Hubs everywhere (assuming we're not going into a gold-based buy everything strategy, which can be accomplished along with trade routes), which leads to a stale, singular playstyle, but it does work. As long as you do that very specific thing. Otherwise, it doesn't really even out.

Next, consider resources. In III, iron provided a simple +1 production. In IV, it provided +1, but that increased by +3 with a mine (so a flat grassland mine would be 2f4p). Most resources follow this pattern, receiving large buffs when improved in IV, which explains why stuff costs more in IV compared to III--cities with production resources are specialized towards production in a big way. V returned to "the old way" of a simple +1 bonus from an iron resource, though the Forge could provide additional production if you invested in it (of course, that additional production comes at an up-front 120 production cost that didn't need to be paid in past titles). The end result is that a tile, on average, would always yield more in IV than in V. III and V were similar in yields, but costs were much lower in III and %-based modifiers were much higher. So while V returned to "the old way" in terms of tile yields, it increased costs rather than decreased them. It also made buildings less powerful rather than more powerful.

Does that help any?

I don't know Civ 4 was released back in 05. This site was around, but not as useful as today. Players are much better at these kind of games. With that said I think people are getting better at Civ faster than the computer AI is.

I was posting here back when Civ III was new. How exactly was it not as useful?

It really has nothing to do with people getting "better" at the game. I've beat Civ V at deity and regularly played it on Emperor. Yet whenever I go back to Civ IV I still struggle to get by on Prince. The AI in Civ VI has serious problems at the moment. I've had the AI declare on me and move nearly a dozen units up to my city... and then proceed to dance around every turn instead of attacking. Meanwhile I manage to bring up reinforcements and pick off the attackers one by one with virtually no resistance--attacks that should have easily overwhelmed me and been able to next march on my open capital. Civ V was nearly this atrocious on launch and the AI got some tweaks along the way to make it more competitive. I'm hopeful Civ VI will receive the same treatment, but the way it is now is seriously broken.

This site was ever bit as "useful" for Civ IV than probably for any iteration of the series. I guess I'm getting tired of the "old" versus "new" debate. I don't mind stacks. I don't mind 1 UPT. What I DO mind is not having a complete game. This game (Civ 6) has SO MUCH POTENTIAL to be the best of the series -- but omg what the heck is with software development these days -- be it games or tax software, people who make such incomplete releases are mind-numbingly incompetent. Misspellings and so forth (and let's not get started on the quotes, that's another thread). I think every software package seems to be released in alpha mode these days....

Production is absolutely slower in more recent games. A lot of it has to do with the forbidden subject (Mod's orders), so I'll avoid that (though it does leave me without a way to say "why").

WHAT?!? Forbidden subject... Now I wish I paid attention to these forums a little more over the years.

EDIT:

I was posting here back when Civ III was new. How exactly was it not as useful?

Well I can only speak anecdotally but it seems like the theorycrafting now is much better. /shrug just an opinion.

I think every software package seems to be released in alpha mode these days....

This I would sign, but with two expansions the game will be great for sure! I guess the game till medieval age is already good.

They should not have let the railway age out for an expansion. This huge gap in the techtree kills the game fun because you just jump from medieval age to modern age. Pikemen and Tanks did not fit in an army together like it is at the moment.

Now its time to wait for the modding tools:p

Well, when college students are taught, as I was today in class, "Every software project is late," I'm not sure you can blame the companies for the current state.

For those grognards (like me) who pine for 'the good old days when software wasn't released buggy', might I point out... Master of Magic? Released in 1993--so 23 years ago--it was unplayably bad in v1.0. In fact, for years after that I would see the 'final version' of almost any strategy game was v1.31.

I mention MOM because it is directly based on Civ for its primary mechanics and is also one of the most beloved 'old games' out there, especially in the 4X genre.

So, no, I don't believe that computer games were any 'better' back in the old days. I do think that they were simpler, and I do think that many stupid decisions are made both back then and today about releasing unready code, but that is not what makes a game good. Even back in 1993. (And we won't talk about the 80s.)

There are always those who are easily impressed, but real fans of this series..for them it's heartbreaking what they release under a name that once stood for A++++ quality.

you should speak only for yourself, you do not determine who "real fans" are nor is it cool to misrepresent what are in fact varied opinions

5&6 should simply not be part of the Civ series, they are different games created for hype and should have their own name. Like Colonization.

Then all those silly arguments would not exist, seriously 1upt in Civilization what a mess..20 years ago we already enjoyed building stacks, and now some peoples who are here just cos of the big media hype around Civ 6 want to tell you that change was the best ever lol..

Then you would be wrong. I've been here a long time and I think 1upt was the greatest change in the Civ series since the introduction of the tech tree. But I am an old traditional wargamer and after playing many PC versions of wargames, I found the tactics (for self and AI) to be among the best in Civ5 (i.e., the standard is relatively low) - even with its complexities (compared to straight unit counts and types of old wargames). And not to mention that it was an incredible amount of fun with those units - they had character instead of being generic counters. Even though Civ4 was my favorite at the time, I could not have imagined ever going back to it once I played Civ5 - like once you get a bigger screen (TV, PC monitor, etc.), you can't go back to smaller.

So again, you are wrong in asserting that only newbies are attracted to that. Take it from a real old timer, 1upt was what I had wanted in Civ ever since I started playing 20 years ago but did not know it was possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom