1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

C2C Options

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I proposed it and implemented it in my modmod 6-8 months ago. It was easy to implement, though I think I made barbarians play settler and other AI's play chieftain. It did of course require some rethinking and reworking of all the modifiers throughout the difficulty line. I'll probably resume work on the modmod in about 2-3 months, when it gets more refined, I would expect some discussions about what parts of the modmod might tricle into the main mod.

I think it used to be replaced by almost all housing after and including stone huts.

2. Noriad2

Noriad2 Emperor

I think this is terribly convoluted. Why not make a new Deity which is the same as current deity+nightmare, and a new Immortal which is the same as current Immortal + half of Nightmare (i.e. up 1 level) and then permanently delete the nightmare option altogether?

Not a very high priority change but it removes fluff and thus potential confusions from C2C. Streamlining is beneficial for its own sake. "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

3. tmv

tmv Emperor

I think that has never been a principle of C2C. :)

OTOH, I think that would break savegames again (I'm rather certain you'd be changing an enum), so that might be an idea to do when savegames are broken anyway.

Then there is the problem of finding a fitting name for something beyond a deity - I think that would be a non-trivial problem.

Lastly, I've read somewhere you cannot just continue the difficulty progression beyond deity, otherwise your first citizen could be :mad: directly after founding the city, so you have to "change the direction" - I think it would be less intuitive if you packed all these levels in a single line of progression.

4. Noriad2

Noriad2 Emperor

No need for new levels, just put more difference between the current ones.

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Not sure if I agree or disagree with previous statements you've made here (on the fence) but this I disagree with. The current difficulty gradiation is very measured and would be disrupted greatly by this sort of approach. Better to add a few more levels.

If Nightmare Mode also made the AI play at Settler level (so it plays as well as it does on non-Nightmare and is not equally hindered as the player) then it would make a lot more sense to me the way this setup works.

6. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

:crazyeye:

Dont quite understand, sorry?

7. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The AI normally always plays at Noble level.

On Nightmare Mode, Noble level is 2 levels harder as all levels are.

Thus on Nightmare Mode, the AI's game is made more difficult as well as the player's.

Therefore, it would make more sense to adjust the AI to play on Settler level when playing Nightmare Mode so it's game isn't made any tougher while the Player's game is.

8. strategyonly

oh ok, never thought of that, but thats why i gave them a bigger lead in the techs, so basically make ALL the AI stuff listed (only) not the other stuff listed, at the settler level for ALL all the way up???

9. Noriad2

Noriad2 Emperor

Which means there should ideally be 2 versions for the AI: one optimized for normal mode, one optimized for nightmare mode.
    I think it is easier to just make nightmare mode non-effective for anything below Immortal. So the AI always plays on the same difficulty. Which makes bug reporting, balancing and fine-tuning much easier.

10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

No... there's a way to make the AI play at settler level rather than noble. It's not in the handicaps xml but somewhere else. Where the AI is set to what level it plays is the file that should be option replaced so that it makes the AI play at Settler rather than Noble when Nightmare mode is on.

Anyone happen to know off the top which file this is in?

Alternatively, just make Noble and less the same as normal play and make sure folks know that to experience Nightmare mode pretty much requires you play at higher than Noble, which you should be anyhow really right?

Giving them more bonuses and such is not necessarily a bad thing for the Nightmare Mode - makes for more reason for it to BE a nightmare mode.

11. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I think it is in the global XML.

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Good to see you Toffer! You are sorely missed on this project!

13. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Thanks :), I'll hopefully be back working alongside you all soon enough.

Osk21 likes this.
  14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

15. strategyonly

I completely agree here, but take ur time, rather be ready than half ready and . .. .

16. Flinx

Flinx Prince

We had an option which scaled civic limits according to the world size.
    When did it get lost and why?

17. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Iirc, when we stopped supporting Immense and Gigantic Maps. Also iirc it was decided that the Option was no longer needed, ie redundant.

The Other Civic Limits is still a choice. But the # of cities per level was changed.

JosEPh

18. Flinx

Flinx Prince

A pretty short-sighted decision.
    Now you get e.g. unhappy persons after settling 12 cities in monarchy.
    For all map-sizes.
    I remember setting the limits was based on a normal map, so for smaller maps the threshold of 12 was lower
    and for bigger maps it was higher.
    I still play games on huge maps and with 12 cities in monarchy you run pretty fast over the threshold.
    I can't believe this was intended, abandon immense or gigantic maps or not.

19. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

What version are you playing? Please when you have a gripe or observation Please Please tell what version you are using. It makes a Big Big difference on how you will get answered. Because you seem to be playing with an older version and not with the latest SVN or even the last v36 crime Patch.

And to boot older saves from different v36 updates or even official v36 release from over a year ago are now Broken with the latest SVn or the last V36 crime update.

Your observations can also be because of an outdated User settings Folder too.

More info on your set up is Always needed.

JosEPh

20. Flinx

Flinx Prince

As always i´m on the current SVN.
    And with this, there is no option scale city limits nor tunnels.
    So my wish to have both options back is pretty easy to get, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure that the options provide a lot of choices some of the developers don't use.
    I'm fine with that. But i can't see the need to remove options without an obvious reason.
    So again, please add them back.