1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

C2C Options

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Sea Tunnels are in the BUG options under the Caveman2Cosmos screen, far right at the bottom. You may need to scroll down to see it. Latest SVN, I just checked. There may still be the problem that you have to turn the option on to show obsolete/unavailable worker actions to actually get the button. A save game showing that issue would be useful. If you have one please post it in the bug thread for me to look at.

I prefer City Limits and thought they were still in there and scaled to map size and game speed. However I may be playing on the default of both and so I would not see what you are reporting. personally I would prefer much harder limits similar to the one we have before Tribalism.

2. TrippedOnACloud

TrippedOnACloud Warlord

I was under the impression that scaling city limits from civics to map size was moved into the core (always on) at some point, assuming the city limits are on in the first place. I pretty much only play Large PM310 maps though.

If anything I feel the limits aren't harsh enough, but that's coming from a deity/nightmare player, so take that with a grain of salt.

3. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I don't know what's going on with scale city limits but tunnels was never a game option. It's a BUG option. IF it's not there it's because it's automatically on by default.

4. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

You have your answer about Tunnels from the Bug thread.

Scale city limits is still in the Options list afaik. But it might have been hidden. Just go into the Options xml and change the visibility of it (for showing up in the list) by changing the current value. Either replace the 1 with a 0 or vice versa till it shows up in your list for a game set up.

JosEPh

5. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I hope not! Do not want any City Limit of any type On and hidden by default.

JosEPh

6. TrippedOnACloud

TrippedOnACloud Warlord

You misunderstand, I'm saying that (I think) the scaling of the limit is on/hidden by default, not that the limit itself is. That is, currently there is an option to have or not have the city limits from civics. If there are limits, they are scaled by default.

I haven't had a chance to check the files or ingame yet though, so I could just be talking out of my ass.

7. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Now that rings a bell in the memory. I believe I might've felt there was no reason, if you had city limits on, to NOT want it to be properly scaled. Thus the option was unnecessary as it should be always true.

8. Flinx

Flinx Prince

Thanks to JosEPh_II i found the hidden option and immediately activated it. Thanks again.

For tunnels i will give information asap i hit the technologies to build it.
    That may take a while on SVN 9338 since i just hit Tribalism.

9. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Be warned ls612's City Limits by Scale have not been looked over or balanced since he left modding C2C.

JosEPh

10. MacCoise

MacCoise Prince

What exactly does Size Matters Uncut do?

11. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

It cuts out the "Size Matters" feature that makes unit have different starting :strength: than they have without size matter.
    One example, pigeon would have 1 :strength: with "Size Matters Uncut"; and something like 0.04 :strength: with the proper "Size Matters" GameOption.
    No unit would start with a decimal number strength when trained on "Size Matters Uncut"; they might do that on "Size matter". I'm not sure if they can even get decimal number strength through merge/split or combat quality upgrade promotion.
    I would call it "Size Matters Gutted/Limited/Trimmed/Diluted".

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

They can. It changes nothing about the math of the system except to force all units to start at the original core mod combat strength. The difference is that on normal SM, the 0 point where the strength of the unit as defined on the underlying unit info is the strength of the unit in the game is objective. It assumes rank 5 on each of the three Size category types or at least a total of 15 of all of them will give that zero point and any rank adjustments from there will increase or decrease the unit's strength (and many other things) and this variation from the total of 15 can be assigned in the original unitcombats established, thus a unit may start with less or more than 15 total size ranks and thus start modified as soon as trained or spawned or however it is introduced into the game.

UNCUT assumes that you want the same game balance between units to start with as the core mod, so it makes the 0 point PERSPECTIVE as opposed to universally OBJECTIVE (15). So when a unit would start the game with 14 total size ranks based on the established unitcombats for that unit, the 0 point for that unit is 14 rather than the objective 15. Adjustments up and down still act the same thereafter.

This means criminals and canines and other units that commonly start off with a rank less than the standard total 15 ranks will still start at the str they were given for the main mod. Thus on SM alone you'll have a Thief coming out with 2 str whereas on Size Matters Uncut you'll have him coming out with str of 3.

Most of the units that are programmed to start with a number other than 15 total ranks are units that cannot merge or split. This includes bandit units that start off with 16 total ranks, a rank HIGHER, and thus stronger and more capable immediately but don't ever get to merge so it's designed to balance them against other more military units and give them a more fighting chance. Criminals and explorers tend to start off a rank lower because they rely on invisibility and aren't intended for direct clashing with large military units but can still be very useful against stragglers and weaker civilian units.

There's reasons for all the units that start with an offset total rank value from 15 but some prefer that those units that got the adjustment didn't so uncut was designed to appease those voices. I suppose Toffer is correct that I should give it a more negative connotation in the term since its not how the designer (me) would suggest to play Size Matters.

13. MacCoise

MacCoise Prince

I would love to get into SM but it still intimidates me and the above doesn't help! ...whoosh

My biggest issue is that I think the unit as created should be the minimum size

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The above wasn't written for the unfamiliar. It was a detailed answer for those who grasp the mathematics in the system.

It's much easier to understand if you just play it. And I would advise against playing the uncut version as there are game balance factors built into the core SM option that are discarded in uncut.

The minimum size for a unit's group volume is Solo. One dude. If you had to produce all of your units in increments of one individual, you would end up spending a maddening amount of time merging into larger groups. Furthermore, it's not even all that realistic that you would train men one at a time. Much of advanced military training is learning how to act as a part of a larger group, in unison.

15. Timekiller

Timekiller Chieftain

How do I get the "auto end turns with no decisions" to actually do something? It seems to have no effect, and after having restarted a few times due to poor choice of map generators, the novelty of repeatedly hitting end turn while building berry bushes and bug gatherers has kind of waned. :p

16. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

It might be bugged. I don't know. I never use it. I don't know where it would function in the code either.

17. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

It works as designed. But if Any animal, Barb or Neanderthal unit is in the city's visibility range it stops it for that turn. Same for if you have any unit out exploring, hunting. or fighting. If you are isolated and no animals around you it works. I use it all the time. Will only really be of use at the start of the game if you lose your starting ST or keep it at home till you are ready to hunt or explore. More noticeable on the slower game speeds than the faster.

18. Timekiller

Timekiller Chieftain

Oh, so that's it! Thanks for clearing it up.

19. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I use it all the time and it is the one thing I wish someone would turn into a mod so I could use it when playing other mods.

It only gives you control when you have a decision to make and that will change depending on your game options and game play. I don't send out any units until I get Tracking so I fine the option very useful up to that point as all I need to decide is what to build and what to study.

20. majaczek

majaczek Warlord

Something changed in Developing Leaders
    Is it still possible to have Developing Leaders and starting Leader Traits?
    Because it seems for me that Developing Leaders now forces "No Starting Negative Traits" and "No Starting Positive traits" both