1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

C2C - Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Strategy and tips' started by Hydromancerx, Jul 1, 2011.

1. charlesb96

charlesb96 King

You should also not be able to change transport vessels while at sea. Imagine trying to move a tank brigade, or even cavalry, from one ship to another, while in the middle of the Atlantic. Loading should only be allowed in ports or to/from land.

2. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Ships should also go a lot further than they do. After all even sailing ships could get from Europe to Australia in months where as in the game it can take 50-100 years!

3. BlueGenie

BlueGenie Emperor

Well land units could get from west Europe to east Europe in a month too, how long does that take in the game? *grin*
    Moving scales are hard to set exactly right, if not impossible then very close to it.

Cheers

4. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

It depends upon where you are in the game too. Is each turn years or months? The same turn can chnage depending upon what year you have reached in the game.

5. charlesb96

charlesb96 King

Time is just subjective in regards to movement. One fleet can take 3000 years to circle a continent. I don't think ANY ship can survive 3000 years at sea. Same for units, building, everything. Don't look at the calendar as years gone by, but just turns gone by.

6. Ari Rahikkala

Ari Rahikkala Chieftain

Coyote runners are hilariously powerful. 7 base strength in an era when 4 is common and 5 is new and shiny, with two moves over any kind of terrain. I should bring them up in the balance thread, really. And all you need is an American native culture and a city with stone - get Masonry, build the Toltec culture, and you have access to a unit that will literally dominate the game for millennia. Add poison tips for more bang for the buck - they're easy to get, just pay attention when your hunters bring you live snakes.

Here's one thing you shouldn't do in the prehistoric age: Start with infrastructure that gets you cash, then build a bunch of clubmen, upgrade them to spiked clubmen, and go conquer your nearest neighbour to get a new city long before tribalism (or two neighbours for two cities). The reason you shouldn't do it is that you'll then quit the game in the ancient era when you realise you're so far ahead that there won't be any challenge left. (The first time I tried this I thought that revolutions would kill me, but with a capital connection, happiness management, a proper garrison, and no stability-lowering buildings, it's really pretty easy)

Here's something I haven't tried yet but that I'm curious about - is retreat chance capped? Because if it isn't, I'm pretty sure you can found the Troll Rider Corps by putting together Flanking 3 horsemen with a noble. Pillage and ransack anything and reliably slip out when attacked! Well, I think so anyway. I tried to do it with a bandit rider but street crime turned out to be below the standards of my nation's bluebloods.

I'm not sure, but I suspect that very early on, it's mostly best to use your one citizen to work a high-hammer rather than high-food tile, and to only worry about commerce if you have a specific tech you really need to get to. There's so much food-producing infrastructure that the hammer-heavy start should get even with the food-heavy start pretty fast, and then it makes sense to stay on the hammer-heavy because the extra production from a food tile would just go to waste. And as mentioned before, in the time it takes to grow one population point on a food tile you can work a hammer tile to raise an army to go grab yourself another one.

You probably should also save your free gatherer for a stone tool workshop rather than improving a food resource, just to enhance the hammer-heavy strategy. That's not something I've done yet, though, there's always just something so tasty in sight when you get the gathering tech.

Speaking of wasted food, is that mechanism documented anywhere? I don't worry about it too much because the gameplay implication is so straightforward - basically, you can't grow fast, so try to keep your food production consistently reasonably high and grow steadily instead - but it'd be nice to know if there's some way to affect it that I wasn't told about.

Waste to Sea doesn't look like much until you dig into it a bit and find out that the garbage dock removes all unhealth from population, a la BTS's National Park. Granted it's pretty much all downsides beside that, but when I got it, my cities tended to be at ridiculous unhealth levels (on the order of -5 to -10) and have a long way to go till the happy cap - so if you've got a lot of coastal cities (but ones that don't actually use the water tiles since Waste to Sea makes them worthless), that civic can be pretty damn neat.

7. wolfensoul9

wolfensoul9 Warlord

Yes, coyote runners are just one of the many culture units that are, as I would put it, whargarblnowIwin.

Koas are another, simply requiring fish in the radius, and boat building, to get a seven strength 20% city attack unit with shock. I mean, holy cow. And there are so, so much more.

Were culture units meant to be so stupidly powerful? Well...not all of them are good. Boomerang thrower...yeah...

And yeah, waste to see is a high stakes choice. If you have alot of coast, I'd almost always recommend against it, it has some crazy good bonuses...

8. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Yes, it's capped.

9. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Revolutions, the option, has not been adjusted for he Prehistoric period as far as I know.

10. Taxman66

Taxman66 King

V27:
    Check your unhappiness level after settling your first city. Depending on your traits & starting difficulty if you only need one happy it is probably worth researching Language first. You get the happy even if you don't activate the civic.

11. WimpyTheWarrior

WimpyTheWarrior Warlord

I agree the Coyote Runner is a fine unit, but I've been able to counter Coyote Runners with Megafanua, notably the Buffalo Rider. Not quote as mobile on the offensive but a defense of Buffalo Riders will blunt a Coyote Runner attack.

For my tastes the early OP UU is the Impi, because it comes so early in the Tech Tree. Admittedly it will need help to take out cities, but Impi with 5 XP, Bamboo Armour and Poison Tips are not too hard to make. Their mobility will decimate workers and infrastructure, and with some promotions, surround and destroy, and your early general you can have a go at the AI capital. The Impi stay useful into the Classical Age, by which time the AI units are strong enough to kill them even in the woods.

EDIT: But my dream of seeing a Pygmy rush has yet to materialise. The potato resource with jungle is just too rare. <<sigh>>

12. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Deity

If there are plenty of animals and you got a well promoted Hunter (also against Neanderthals), use a great commander to walk with the Hunter. This way you can get insane amounts of XP for that GC. I'm about to research Ironworking now and have a GC with ~400 XP!

13. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

You are right. To reform this, it has been thought of limiting the XP GG can get from barb units.
    Also, as I just reasoned, the max amount of XP per field commander should be defined by the era the player is in:
    prehistoric max 50 xp ancient max 100 xp, classic max 200, medieval 300, renaissance 400, industrial 500 and modern and the following eras no limits. would also benefit the charismatic trait a bit more, as it has lower xp limits for upgrades but is pretty useless later on imho, this way it would be good throughout the 6 first eras ;)

14. WimpyTheWarrior

WimpyTheWarrior Warlord

Get the March promotion for early Recon and Hunters

The March promotion (heal while moving) is especially valuable for your early units that are uncovering the map. (usually Recons and Hunters). The ability to clear the map while wounded speeds up discovery, and you can also move to safe terrain while still healing. The Combat III pre-req will also help your remove units when then invariable blunder next to powerful enemy units.

The trade-off is a loss of subdue percentage for your Hunters. It can be frustrating when you spot a juicing new animal like a Mammoth and your Hunter has a poor capture percentage.

15. Crocutrax

Crocutrax Chieftain

Here's my own little gem(s) of wisdom (for v28)

When building your first naval units to explore the seas or the coastline, if it has any cargo space, build a canine unit and upgrade it with the Track Scent promotion line and load it on the ship. This will improve your ships line of sight, allowing to not only reveal more, but also detect barriers and threats earlier. Most early ships boast at least cargo space for one unit including rafts. While it can also be done with other units canine units are the cheap to build and can get +visibility range much easier than recon units or mounted units.

In a modern age start, three resources stand above all others.

Oil (or Oil Products) - Vital for most wheeled and tracked units, most ships and almost all aircraft in the form of Oil Products, in addition it is one of the two requirements required for Chemicals, which is absolutely vital for a great deal of the science producing buildings. Alternatively, the Shale Plant can act as a supply of oil products as long as you have the necessary resources close and a source of Copper/Copper Wires

Copper - Vital for any sort of electricity generation used for most factories and several other buildings. Without it, a great deal of buildings are unbuildable unless you manage to trade for Copper Wires and its a very difficult route to tech to reveal Fiber Optic Cables when the majority of buildings you cannot build. Alternately however being able to build Culture (Steampunk) is an excellent way of getting access to power without Copper.

Sulphur - Required for Chemical Plant which provides chemicals (as in the modern age chemicals is one of the preq. for paper) needed for most science based buildings.

Having all three of these resources allows to get a massive advantage on your rivals, so building forts on distant resources like this will give you early access. Other resources that are great for developing up in a modern age start include Stone, Iron and Coal

16. Debellatio

Debellatio Chieftain

There`s a way to run a safer espionage:

If you have an open borders agreement, put your spies on ships, go to a city and leave them on the ships, they wont be caught, but they wont collect points to make the missions cheaper.

Question : I had really often revs in the same two cities, usually the barbs just appeared
    outside, but once they took the two without a fight (they didn`t bribe the cities). How is it possible to
    avoid this? (Besides improve the condition of my citizens;))

17. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

Hate to say it but that sounds like an exploit.

You can click on the little revolution bar inside the city to make a payment to the citizens. Also certain units have 'city is less likely to revolt' in its promotion.

18. Debellatio

Debellatio Chieftain

Yeah, the same with the worker selling.

I put about 10 watchmen with the promotions, and the citizens in those cities would rather get rid of me entirely.:)
    Its just annoying, that they can just take my city without consulting my forces, but anyway, that doesn`t happen so often.

19. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

Usually you get an ultimatum, rejecting terms will mean a revolution and these cities will come under attack etc. I did experience what your describing once and I felt it was something related to viewports, and how sometimes pop-ups are opened and closed really fast (under a second). So like the ultimatum appeared and somehow the game had decided that I accepted the cities to become independent (which I was really pissed about). So it was just a matter of me loading the auto-save a few times and I managed to reject terms from memory. Or they just never revolted on one occasion, can't remember.
    Maybe i'm wrong and revolutions just function this way (sometimes not giving you the ultimatum) whereby cities sometimes just automatically become independent , i'm not sure.

20. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

Here's another little tip to quickly quell resistance in a city you captured early on in the game when you maybe dont have enough money to bribe yet: whilst conquering a city you often receive captives (military/civilian) - use them to rush-build national wonders that are available early on like microlith workshop, national horse trainer and such. Building one of the national wonders the normal way would often take too long before the city revolts but using the captives gives you the bonus in no time, I think the bonus is equal to a big bribe.

Also, what I think works is leaving a captive in the city giving you the +4 happiness bonus "we have a celebrity in our midst", but I'd liked to have that confirmed.