C2C - Tips and Tricks

Thanks for all the help! Trying to take it into account and watch my city maintenance - if I get hit with Mugging during my expansion, it just cripples my economy. Any information on whether obsolete wonders still count or is it safe to build Bull Leaping without ancient man's endeavours meaning I can't build a secret base millenia later?

They still count, but the limit to how many you can build goes up with each cultural expansion of the city (eventually it's about 8/8 I think)

Oh! I didn't know that. That's good to know! Thank you!
Haha, I've been playing on and off since Rise of Mankind's early iterations and I still come back to find things I never knew. I should probably read the C2C Civilopedia and see if mentions more things I've missed.

In my recent game I try to have a non-stop GA. It is enough to have European culture, a city next to Copper (or whatever is necessary for Culture (Spartan)) and Iron Working (for Spartan Warriors).

1. Conquer your entire continent and leave big pieces of land unsettled or with Barbarian settlements only (it would be enough to block AI access to this areas). Destroy any emerging Civs here.
2. Build Culture (Spartan).
3. Build as many Spartan Warriors in your main military city as possible (15 - or more with Unlimited National Units). They start with Heroic I, so you need to promote them to Combat IV/Heroic II (should be possible with a good city with enough GG and buildings, some civics may help).
4. Send your Hero II units to hunt animals and Barbarians.

Each victory = IIRC 5% chance to trigger a short (4-turn) GA. A next victory may make it longer, as well as some Great Wonders.

S.

Has anyone ever managed to setup a multiplayer game of C2C using the lobby or direct connect IP? My friend and I got it to work way back version 20ish, maybe 26 or 28 can't recall. We tried it with version 32 and it wouldn't show up in the lobby. :rolleyes: :sad:

No Game Ranger we got it to sort of work, but not in the gamespy lobby. That is depressing lol

Gamespy is severely out of date, I'm not sure they even provide any service.
For Direct-IP connections it should be sufficient to open port 2056 (udp and tcp) in the router of the hosting party (a simple search with router model and 'port forwarding' should lead to some results)

I wish Firaxis would update civ 4 at least the MP part of the game

What are the advantages and disadvantages of moving the Palace to a more centrally located city? Am I losing anything? What happens to palace-specific buildings?
Thanks!

Tip: you can investigate goody islands without naval units by using subdued birds. Most birds can't come close to unexplored territory, but if your land units explored all the way to the coast line this shouldn't be a problem.

I also found that a subdued Secretary Bird can explore the map on its own. It can even cross oceans and make contact with overseas civilizations before you can build catamarans or even rafts. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature. It is an extremely valuable unit to subdue.

Birds can also be used to keep an eye on the enemy. Park one over a peak near an enemy town to get visibility of that town. Best to use a high-strength bird species to prevent other birds from killing it.

I also found that a subdued Secretary Bird can explore the map on its own. It can even cross oceans and make contact with overseas civilizations before you can build catamarans or even rafts. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature. It is an extremely valuable unit to subdue.

This is a bug. The bReveaMap value is wrong.

I couldn't find generic question thread and I didn't wanted to create new topic just to ask one question, so forgive me if it isn't a place to ask such question, but some resources (stone, gold, copper, clay...) aren't highlighted after toggling "reveal all resources". I've just invented sedentary lifestyle, could it be a reason?

I couldn't find generic question thread and I didn't wanted to create new topic just to ask one question, so forgive me if it isn't a place to ask such question, but some resources (stone, gold, copper, clay...) aren't highlighted after toggling "reveal all resources". I've just invented sedentary lifestyle, could it be a reason?

We don't know why but if you zoom all the way out on the map and back it should turn them on, I think:blush:

It didn't. Tried to zoom out, tried to restart game, tried to toggle off and on - still nothing.

Yes, both F11 key and mouse roll. Neither of them helped.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot, already fixed it. -_- Sorry for wasting your time.

Repost from another random advice thread, sans neat bold action!

Promotions
Combat1 opens so very much in terms of non vanilla choices, like the basic terrain specialty promotion lines.
Each rank gives:
Double Movement in the specified terrain
+20% Attacks against the specified terrain
+50% Defence while in the specified terrain
Immunity for the specified terrains damage if damaging terrain is activated (Arctic and Desert currently)
The 4 flavors are:
Arctic: Tundra->Permafrost->Ice
Desert: Desert->Dune->Salt_Flats
Rugged: Barren->Scrub->Rocky
Wetland: Lush->Muddy->Marsh

Combat2 opens up Fieldsman line for grassland and plains, forging mounted troops into the holy terror they really were in the steppes until matured gunpowder weapons arrived.
Fieldsman 1
Double Movement in Grassland
+15% Defence Grasslands and Plains
Fieldsman2
Double Movement in Plains
+15% attack into Grasslands and Plains
Fieldsman3
+20% Attack and Defence in both Grassland and Plains

The Double Movement for Hills and Forest were taken out of the Guerrilla line and Woodsman lines respectively and then placed behind Combat2 as Hillsman and Forestry

Off the beaten track of combat promotions, enter the Dance (and I assume Music) of the Entertainers

If still in the Caveman era, build a Dance Hut and pop out a Story Teller. What you now have is a mini great person to build dance based city buffs.... who knew?

When the event log shows that citizens have built Demand for a Crafts Hut, what it's really saying is that people are seriously angry (unhappy based on population) until you build said Crafts Hut. When you first see this, it's nothing major, but as the cities grow, having the population demanding multiple buildings is a sure fire way to wind up past the happy cap for the first time.

Cheers!
-Liquidated

One of the most powerful religions is Andeanism, mostly because it is one of the few religions that offer science bonus on the temple (not just on the monestary, which comes later and goes obsolete at Modern Physics). IIRC the only other religion to offer that bonus is Bahai, which comes much later.

If you own a tile, even if it is ocean, you can connect your cities over it. If the ocean is narrow (and you don't have RCS on), you can often connect to a neighboring continent via a well placed coastal city. The effect is really strong on maps without sea tiles.

Edit: If you manage to reach the TH era :), make sure you have graphite. Until the beginning of TH, graphite is not at all an important ressource, only needed for pencils (which you can do without), and even then lead is a viable alternative. And graphite is extremely hard to come by (stone and coal in the city vicinity), so until TH there is usually no reason to bother.

But in TH, the following ressources require graphite:

• Graphene
  • Liquid Metal Wares
  • Shockwave Engines
  • Novus Chemicals
  • Levitation Generators
  • Superstrong Alloys
  • Cybernetic Chloroplasts (sp?)
  • Nanogenerators
  • Nanobots
  • Nanoactuators
  • Digitized Membrane (via Antropomorphics Lab)

You might just call TH the Graphite Age.

While settling a Great Hunter gives you 5 :food: , you should still consider going for the unit, especially if you play with the combat mod options and are still in prehistory. There are three important reasons for it:

• Sabretooths are now extremely dangerous, being almost as strong as elephants but very well hidden. For quite some time, Great Trackers / Hunters are pretty much the only unit capable of defeating them.
  • Great Hunters have a rather good chance subduing great sloths, which can give you mapinguaris (sp?). These units are very powerful and very big. Train them and give them bully promotions!
  • The Great Hunter unit itself is a very strong unit but consisting of few people. With a few bottleneck upgrades you have a very capable fighter.

Of course, these reasons are mostly valid only with the CM options (not counting uncut), but at least the mapinguari units might still be a good idea if you don't have powerful mounts.

Top Bottom