- Quechua = Potatoes + Llamas
- Tupi = Parrots + Corn
- Venezuelan = Oil + Corn
- Wayana = Fish + Squash
- Xavante = Parrots + Bananas
- Yaghan = Seals + Clams
- Yanomami = Mangoes + Corn

Thanks! :goodjob:

I would have gone with Myth of the Moa as a requirement as getting both resources in the same city is not that likely.

Yeah this may be a very bad idea. I think there will be virtually no cultures before the Great Farmer, who will have only one task: planting the second resource requirement for a city that has one, and all the desirable cultures will be built this way (and of course this is way way too late for many of them).

If a city had a one-in-ten chance of having the one resource to build a culture, the chance is now one-tenth of that again ie. 1 in 100. If this was for 'obscure' cultures it might be fair enough, but it is for all cultures. You would have to add ten times as many cultures before a civ could have as many cultures as it does now, and that would still mean that early cultures would not be buildable (on average) until there were 100 cities in the game, so not until the renaissance. Furthermore there can be no competition for cultures, beyond competing for the only city site in the world where it can be built:rolleyes:.

If this is to solve the perceived problem of: how do we put an infinite number of cultures in-game without any civ hogging too many of them, well it's a terrible solution to something that isn't really a problem. While I feel that additional cultures are good for the game, they don't add any actual new element to gameplay so I think they are getting too much priority as it is.

Soonish there will be a Myth for every animal and since animals are approximately regional they could be used. Eg China could require Silk and Myth of panda and peacock for instance. Although we would use Song of animal rather than Myth as the former is available in all cities where as the Myth is only in one city and that will probably be your first city or your science city.

Soonish there will be a Myth for every animal and since animals are approximately regional they could be used. Eg China could require Silk and Myth of panda and peacock for instance. Although we would use Song of animal rather than Myth as the former is available in all cities where as the Myth is only in one city and that will probably be your first city or your science city.

I like this idea. Note if I did it you would only need Silk Resource + Panda Song since requiring 2 myths would be overkill.

However this would mean if you started on the wrong side of the globe you would be kinda screwed.

Or second requirment should be add only to classical or later era cultures?

Some have those too.

So that could be good then...
Prereqs of:
1) A terrain or feature
2) A map resource
3) A tech
4) A myth
and possibly
5) A manufactured resource as well

Many have 1-3 already (#1 and #3 all have I think.)

@TB

Also coastal or not coastal. But not every culture need that or a terrain and/or terrain feature.

The alternative would be making a new regional culture like "Mediterranean" which could siphon off European, Middle Eastern and African cultures.

Civs that would get this would probably be like ...

- Byzantine (Maybe?)
- Egypt
- Carthage
- Greek
- Roman
- Spanish
- Portuguese

River or not river too...

Shouldn't most have one of either:
Terrain
Feature
River
Coast

as a prereq? Something to help define the environment a bit better?

River or not river too...

Shouldn't most have one of either:
Terrain
Feature
River
Coast

as a prereq? Something to help define the environment a bit better?

Oh I forgot river/no river. There are a lot of civs where it just doesn't make a difference. For instance the United States is so vast that we have all types of terrains that it would not make sense. However the US has a civic restriction of Democracy. The only other civic culture is the Confederates with Confederacy civic. I was also thinking of having Papal as a culture and have it require Theocracy.

Can we use latitude for requirment?

You could but some terrain and resources already cover that indirectly. And if we use the animal myths, that probably would play a factor too.

Be careful with distinguish cultures by myths - they are usually too easy to get. If you had two cultures that require Jade in vicinty and Myth of the Panda, and the other Jade as well and Myth of the Peacock, then it is more then likely you will have them both in your Jade city. Especially if you still want to change it that you get myths by simply fighting an animal instead of subdue it.

What about more complex restrictions like:
- Killing XXX units [of a type] (iE Spartans)
- Must be a conquered culture (East Germany)
- Must be / have a Vasall
- Build / have XXX Units of a type (iE Ships for England)
- At least XXX cities (russia maybe)
- At least a pop of 50 (highly populated city states)
- Income / tourism / crime etc of XXX (Dubai (income/tourism), an anarcy state for crime) etc.

IMHO, cultures should be a) rare and / or b) develope to give them more meaning. We have like what... 50-100 cultures? And how many more are planned? Mostly, you have less then 10 or even 5 leading civs that grab most of the cultures and hoart them. At one point you just build cultures just because you can't. Not much immersion. At least that's my impression.

IMHO, cultures should be a) rare and / or b) develope to give them more meaning. We have like what... 50-100 cultures? And how many more are planned?

Listed here we have 221 and requested are 81 new ones. So 302 in total. Note that Neanderthal and Ceta Sapiens do not require regional cultures so really its more like 300 human cultures.

So if we assume we have 10 big and competetive civilizations, you'd have 30 cultures in each of them. I think that's a lot and completely devaluates cultures. Your first 3 cultures might be interesting to get, but after that it's just another culture wonder.

Top Bottom