C3C Boli's Epic World 0.2

Boli

Warlord
NB: If you(admins) think that it should be moved please do so, but as I didn't create the map I just modified it with cities/units to make it more playable I thought this was the best place... even if you do start off at 4000BC

-----

This is really a map rather than a Scenario, but using the XXL World map by Aeel, I have devised a way that will hopefully play a more "real" civ world map game rather than a fair one. Some civs are SEVEARLY limited and I would recommend against them. (Native Americans, Aztecs, Mayans Incas & Africans)

Remember this is an EPIC game, as in one that will take a while to work through even with the fastest computers but IMHO well worth it... though of course I would say that.

Realism on the map is NOT an issue, I am catering to beliefs that have doged us since we started learning history, like: Russia is big, England is a Navel power as to is Japan. This will hopefully "play" more like the real world with a colonisation of the new world.

Of course this game WILL hit the 512 city limit, but you should see some colonisation action later in the game the large but undeveloped Dark Africa and the Wild America's should be wide open for conquest.

Here is a screen shot of one of the test game that hit 512 cities and I think it works distribution wise.. (sorry I havent uncovered all the map yet)

The timescale isn't set up correctly yet and you'll find yourself hitting an Industrial era at the end of the "dark ages" but I'm still working on that.

Features:

Every playable civ starts with 1 city at size 4, culture 10, containing a palace, and a starting position on this city plus additional bonuses detailed below. (this was inicially done because I had problems with civs starting where they should be)

Civ Bonuses

* Britain, Scandinavia, Carthage and Japan all start with a free Galley and Curragh
* Egypt, Starts with and Additional city with the Pyrimds in
* Germany Starts with an Additional city (The Rhur) with Irons works in
* Greece: Athens stars with size 6 with: Harbour, Library, and a wonder(The Acropolis) A unique wonder that only gives Culture nothing else
* France and Arabia each have a second city (Size4, Culture 10, courthouse) containing a settler and worker
* Portugal and Spain are in a locked alliance (Iberia) Spain given a second city (Size1, 0 Culture) and Portugal given Curragh
* Russia and China, Start with an additional 4 settlers and China with an additional city
* India, Korea, Persia, Ottomans, and Hittites each start with two additional start positions (two stacks of a Settler/worker) in their city radius
* Mongols start with the only "Pure" start point, but have their Kesish price lowered from 60 to 45
* Rome, has an additional city all connected by road to resources and to each other and two legionaries
* Only Greece, Rome, Britain, Portugal, Spain, Scandinavia, Carthage and Japan can build Curragh and Galleys, everyone else has to wait until they research a Caravel to sail.

NONE playable civ rules

* NONE playable civs are modified to only build settlers and their unique units and should stay WELL down in the tech ladder also.
* Native Americans and Africans each start with 4 cities one start point
* Aztecs and Mayans in locked alliance
* Incas start with three cities but cannot build settlers; they are the only one able to build workers
* Mayan Javelin thrower enslave results in another javelin thrower
* Aztec start with the Player civ model of a Culture 10, size 4 city at the start all other non playable cities start with only size 1, 0 culture cities
* Africans, Aztecs and Mayans have their golden age triggers removed

Main Rules

* No-one can build a city on a desert or Tundra
* New Citizen: “Navvies” can be built when industrialisation is discovered; they act as engineers but only produce 1 shield
* Colours have been altered, as to closer resemble civ2 colours, Barbarians are (and should always have been) RED.

Version 0.2 Updates

OK after a playtest a few things needed altering

* The Chinese Rider was available to every civilization in the game, this really upset the balance of play... it has now been removed so only the Chinese have access to their Unique unit, (How they all got it in the first place is a mystery to me)
* Minimum Research time taken down to a more realistic 1 turn (rather than 4), this will hopefully split the scientific advancement further apart when everyone starts to get large empires, and it will also allow people to catch up on science.
* A Golden age now last 50 turns making them doubly important when they happen
* All Spaceship parts have had their prices doubled… I really underestimated how big empires can get.
* Forests will have to be cleared now to allow a city… this should stop people building useless cities on the forested tundra in the north
* Jungles and Forest will also have to be cleared to allow an airfield.
* Engineers now produce 3 shields each
* Scandinavians and Persian colours swapped to cause less clashes with between the Scandinavian and the Germans
* Numidian Mercenaries now upgrade to Musketmen and not Pikemen as I have previously specified Renamed as Lybian Mercenaries after I found they were attacking Numidians.
* Barbarians can no longer build Galleys
* Stealing World map available to Diplomats instead of Spies… this precedes the ability to trade maps but the cost is increased to 15 to represent the difficulty in earlier times
* Time it takes for Pollution to be cleared up is halved - no one likes their cities to turn into orange blobs for 200 years!
* Ottomans (already relocated to Southern Russia) are renamed the Kurgans
* Russian “build often Science” option is turned off… they were too powerful with it.
* To represent the problem represent by forests in building new cities, Russia and China gain two additional workers
* Terrain relaxed around the hymilayan region to help China along
* Mongols given Horseback Riding as a free tech and four horsemen: this should curb the Chinese
* Korean and Hittites 2 additional starting locations removed, they have not become “none player civs” but their difficulty has been increased Hitties should provide a good “buffer nation” between east and west before they get swallowed up
* Spain and Portugal’s position strengthed by modifying terrain
* The Sarahan hills are now mountains and no one is able to settle on them
* Turkish Terrain lowered
* Rome now has FOUR Legions not two
* Arabia has a few more plains instead of deserts
* Germany has a more advanced infrastructure (roads and a couple of mines)
* Britain has an additional Settler and London now connect to the sea, hopefully they won’t become the backwater they were in the last game
* Japan no longer has a galley but two additional workers instead

A Few Notes:

Greece worked better out than I planned with their high initial culture they were arrogant to everyone, but they never expanded far. I hope this trend continues even with the slightly modified rules

The Spain-Portugal alliance worked against them with the harsh terrain of Spain... the terrain has since been relaxed and thus shoudl offer a better game in the west

Any more feedback would be much appreciated.

~ Boli

mao@badpoo.co.uk

File: http://www.badpoo.co.uk/mao/zip/boli_xxlworld-0.2.zip

Estúpido otário(just joking)

New version 0.4 out many, many changes

The least of them being the tech tree now has doubled needing twice the science to research it, and the biggest thing you can spot will be the lines of barbarian huts keeping the civs apart at the beginnig of the game.

When I update/redo the readme file I'll post it up here. I would like any feedback if anyone have tried this or the earlier version I've playtested it a bit but I would allways appriciate some additional feedback.

file: http://www.badpoo.co.uk/mao/zip/worldmapxxl.zip

Wow it sounds great but I don't think my comp can handle a map that size. Espically if I get to the Modern Age.

To tell you the truth my computer can't handle it either so I just end up brousing the web between turns :D... I'll have to admit though on the time one of my playtests got into the modern age things got a bit hectic.

- but if you want scale and TRUE world wars with world powers... *grins*

~ Boli (still working on a readme)

I will try the 1.0 version !

What is the size of this map ?

Its taken from Aeels giga map... 360x305... and the 1.0 version will come out as soon as I playtest each race. (and right the ruddy read-me).

It is bascially the same as the full release will be but there will be a couple of things I still need to feel out. (whihv is why it is still a beta).

~ Boli

What ? 360x305 map :eek: ??? My PC will die !

I will perhaps abandon :(

Top Bottom