[GS] Campus District-less Scientific Victory... Can it be done??

Would it be possible to win a SV without building a single Campus District

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Then how to deal with captured campuses?
Pillage them all before capture or do not capture... however the OP said without building, nothing about not capturing.
30 pop cities are roughly the sane limit apart from the odd city that you can pump higher.
So 8*30=240*.5=120 science. You would have to rely on a lot of pillaging to make up the shortfall or take all cities so you have say 50 cities to get 500 science.
It is possible but as Lily hints you cannot remove campi and so have to frig with natural play to avoid it.... but the simple maths is yes if playing ultra violently. Playing peacefully turning off all other options it would be a long old game.

If you pillage, then you'll get sth. around 100 science per pillage (If you follow repair and pillage cycle in free cities you will set sth. like 100 Science per turn per free city) . Actually you don't need self generate science at all.

Good point.

If only there was some way to instruct your CS ally to do the campus district pillaging (or instruct them to do anything, really). Never paid attention to it, but I assume pillaging with levied units gives you the pillage reward, rather than giving it to the CS you got the units from.

fun thread... IMHO, you'd accidentally trigger another VC before achieving this (like...culture ?) but hey this should be fun ;-)

Maybe activate SV as the only victory condition ?

Or if conquering, raze every city and don’t capture capitols. If they flip on loyalty to free, reject them from joining.

You'd probably also want to focus on Religion to help you gain science. I've recently started getting a religion again in games. It's a little extra work, but it has its benefits. I'm not sure how many more games I'll play where I focus on it though.

Then how to deal with captured campuses?

That would depend on how rough you like it daddy...

See I am of the self-hating kind, full of existential dread and filled to the brim with grade-A catholic guilt, so I would either have to raze those cities, or refrain from capturing them entirely... If I don't get to suffer like buddy jesus, I'm simply unable finish the job... as it were....

But pillaging those districts... See now there's not an issue in sight.

I say, leave the cities, take the science by force.

Got 0-campus 304 SV with Peter on 7 seas, deity.
Spoiler :

I had a lot of space with glorious tundra for peaceful expansion. It seems I have never played Peter before, so I was taken aback with those +6– +8 Lavras with Dance of the Aurora. I also managed to scrape up for Golden Medieval for mass settling with Monumentality. I took wats for some trickle boost of science and also Cross-Cultural dialogue, its share in my science output was somewhere around 10%. I could not lay my hands on Hildegard, she went too early and was too expensive to buy, whelp.

Peter's Grand Embassy stopped being useful somewhere around mid-game, as I caught up with the Netherlands. I had with them the only Research Alliance throughout the game and all my trade routes went to them.

Mostly peaceful game, but I culture-bombed one tile from Kupe, and that probably provoked his first DOW. I only pillaged one his city on the border including campus. Second time he declared because I converted the Dutch, and this time I took and kept his border city, having pillaged the campus again and then leaving it unrepaired. Dutch Utrecht flipped to me, it also had campus, so I had to pillage it while it was a free city, then again left it unrepaired. There was a third war with Kupe when he declared on Wilhelmina, and then I pillaged another campus and razed his cities on my landmass. So grand total of science pillaging is 4 pillaged campi.

I have bought or got Goddard, Leaky, Sagan, Kwolek, Korolev and von Brown.

At some point I started just to put cultural people to sleep, also sold some of my books and art to avoid CV.

I was Suzerain of 4 CS (Cahokia was first, those Mounds are awesome!), so International Space agency card was very useful to boost up late science. Spies were also doing good job stealing eurekas, until I got the tech lead for the last third-to quarter of the game, and the positioning of future era techs wasn't very fortunate, so the end was a bit of slog. Bought all spaceports with Moksha and sent out 10 Lagrange satellites.

I ended with 76 techs on par with Phillip II, runners-up were Wilhelmina and Monty with 54 techs, quite a gap. Phillip got lots of land and became a monster, choking all his neighbours. We also ended up dividing the world religion wise - his Catholicism dominant in 58 cities, my Eastern Orthodoxy in 55, 4:4 on converted civs, all other religions dead.

This is very very easy with Macedon, from encampment you can get more science than from campus before rationalism, just do some maths :)
It is the most obvious choice for non campus SV, I am surprised you did not take it into account in your very first post

+ additional Eurekas for techs with difficult requirements

This is very very easy with Macedon, from encampment you can get more science than from campus before rationalism, just do some maths :)
It is the most obvious choice for non campus SV, I am surprised you did not take it into account in your very first post

+ additional Eurekas for techs with difficult requirements

Hmm, yes indeed, Macedon's UB passed me by, thanks for that :goodjob:

Top Bottom