• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Canada Mod - Deluxe Edition

CanuckErrant said:
What? Battleford's not in there? Heck, the only reason Regina is Saskatchewan's capital is because the CN owner and his cronies wanted the railroad to run along land they owned so they could make more money - that's why Regina is the only provincial capital not along a major waterway.

Heck, Battleford was capital of the NWT for a number of years, back when that meant "everything west of Manitoba and east of BC"...

If you reeeeeaaaaaally want I can add The Battlefords in on the next version. I love that part of the country, by the way. Always stop there on my way back to Edmonton from Ontario.

Wyz_sub10 said:
If you reeeeeaaaaaally want I can add The Battlefords in on the next version. I love that part of the country, by the way. Always stop there on my way back to Edmonton from Ontario.

I would, thanks. And not many people know that Battleford actually has one of the largest weapons collections in Western Canada, over at the Fred Light Museum. :)

Incidentally, if you want a replacement image for the Canada Corps thumbnail, I have a few gleaned from war posters that might do better after some resizing.

Hooray! The Canada mod is great!
Having different leaders is wonderful, and the UU is very useful too.
It's all I play these days :)

CanuckErrant said:
Incidentally, if you want a replacement image for the Canada Corps thumbnail, I have a few gleaned from war posters that might do better after some resizing.

That would be excellent. If you could email it to wyz@canadatrack.com I'll get it into the next release.

5cats,

Gald you like it! Thank you for the feedback.

Averdris said:
Are we going to have the Avrow Arrow in the Canada Mod? I'de love it if we did! Diefenbaker was an idiot for scrapping it. F!@%#ing farmer!

This Thing was way ahead of its time... look at the cars they dont belong

Well, I'm going to stick to only one UU in order to ensure that the mod is balanced with existing Civs. LAnkou's SuperCiv, for example, only includes new civs with 1 UU.

You may be happy, though, with something I've been toying with. But it's a way's off, though.

This is my first post here but I have to say that I love your mod. But I'd also like to add a little bit of constructive criticism. In the future it would be great if the First Hussars could be included as one of the names for a Canadian Corps. The Hussars were Canada's first cavalry regiment and have 34 Battle Honours ranging from South Africa, the Somme, Vimy, Caen and the Rhineland. Utilized as light infantry and cavalry during the Great War, the Hussars fought with distinction; a tradition that they continued during the Normandy Landings when they became the only allied unit to both acheive and surpass all of their objectives. In fact, their unit made it nearly 30 km inland (the most headway gained by any allied unit that was involved with the beachhead aside from the paratroopers) and were ordered to halt the advance because of logistics. Aside from these honours, the Hussars also experienced their own disaster when an entire squadron of DDTs was annihilated by Hitler's 22nd SS Panzer regiment. That event is remembered somberly as, "The Black Day of the First Hussars." Currently based in Sarnia and London, Ontario, the regiment has undergone the unfortunate transition from armour to reconaisance and the squadron that was lost during the Normandy Landings has (respectfully) never been replaced.

Secondly, the idea of the Canadian Corps as Canada's UU has serious historical issues. During the Great War nearly 70% of the troops who went over with the First Canadian Corps were first or second generation Canadians; this implies that most of our soldiers were recent immigrants and that more established Canadians were much less enclined to fight Europe's war. The scenario that can now be painted is one of recently-arrived European Canadians returning home to fight a war while more established Canadian families preferred to tend to their farms and stay out of Europe's fight. Witness the domestic upheaval over the Draft and the low recruitment of rural English and rural/urban French Canadians as examples to support my argument.

It is for this reason that I feel that the proper use of the Canadian UU is the peacekeeper. Following the establishment of the United Nations and Canadian push for peacekeeping initiatives, we were leaders in this department for nearly two decades. Even today that legacy lives on in the form of Canada's "moral reputation" as a peacekeeping, not peacemaking, society. Given the fact that we have some of the world's best trained soldiers I feel that a moderately balanced Infantry unit with a high defensive value (to discourage attack) would be appropriate. Just my opinion but otherwise keep up the good work.

Nice post Carterfield. I hope he considers this and perhaps makes changes.

...unfortunate transition from armour to reconnaissance...

I was in the reserves in British Columbia, we were armoured recci but they changed to just reconnaissance with the stupid jeeps. I resigned because of it.

Witness the domestic upheaval over the Draft and the low recruitment of rural English and rural/urban French Canadians as examples to support my argument.

Finally someone agrees with me. I miss living in the east, out west its to new with immagrants that don't understand and don't care about original Canadians. I always get rascist remarks about 'go back to France', sorry if my family was in Canada for 13generations. Not bashing immagrants I'm dating one, so don't get offended. I just wish for respect.

I guess I am doing something wrong. I have installed this mod a few times and nothing. I have two HDs - C: and D: my civ4 is on D:\games\civ4. I have installed this mod and extracted it with winrar under D:\games\civ4\mods\canada, and also ..Canada\mods\assets... and still nothing. No Canadian flags or anything. What do I need to do next?

Mm

I apologize if someone already mentioned this but I didn't feel like reading every post as the thread has gotten quite lengthy, but...

I think the Mounty WOULD be the best UU for Canada because it (or rather the RCMP) played a large role in distinguishing Canada from the US. In the earlier years of these nations, Canada and America took different approaches to protecting their citizens. The US granted its citizens the right to bear arms and then left them to protect themselves but Canada formed a national police force to protect its citizens (the RCMP). While local police forces were formed in the US, their effectiveness varied. Because Canada has enjoyed the protection of a national police force for a long period of time, Canada has developed into a more pacifistic/peaceful nation than America. Today Canada is primarily known for its peace keeping efforts and is recognized as a relaxed and accepting nation.

On that note, I don't believe the Mounty should have any combat bonuses. I don't think Canada is looked back upon and seen as a Military power. Instead, the Mounty should provide some other type of bonuses more fitting to a police force. Here's my UU suggestion...

Mounty (Replaces Calvary)
Special ability (maintains calvary's stats) but also includes...
Option 1: Mounty adds +1 Happiness to the city it's stationed in.
Option 2: Mounty reduces maintenance by 25% for the city it's stationed in.

Mooseman said:
I guess I am doing something wrong. I have installed this mod a few times and nothing. I have two HDs - C: and D: my civ4 is on D:\games\civ4. I have installed this mod and extracted it with winrar under D:\games\civ4\mods\canada, and also ..Canada\mods\assets... and still nothing. No Canadian flags or anything. What do I need to do next?

Mm

This needs to be installed to the Firaxis mod folder, not the My Games folder. When you installed Civ4, did you install it to the default location under Program Files\Firaxis?

Wyz_sub10 said:
This needs to be installed to the Firaxis mod folder, not the My Games folder. When you installed Civ4, did you install it to the default location under Program Files\Firaxis?

Originally civ4 was installed to a custom location on drive D:\games\civ4\
the mod lives in D:\games\civ4\mod\canada and assets as well. I even placed an extracted copy in the customassets dir to help?
Oh yea I extracted it to the original dir, not My Games folder.
Also I just used winrar and converted the file to .rar format. edit> nope the problem remains, even after succesful conversion to rar.

Thanks again,
I'm looking forward to checking this mod out!!
:goodjob:

Sorry for the late reply.

CarterField said:
This is my first post here but I have to say that I love your mod. But I'd also like to add a little bit of constructive criticism. In the future it would be great if the First Hussars could be included as one of the names for a Canadian Corps.

No problem. I can add this in the next release.

Secondly, the idea of the Canadian Corps as Canada's UU has serious historical issues. During the Great War nearly 70% of the troops who went over with the First Canadian Corps were first or second generation Canadians; this implies that most of our soldiers were recent immigrants and that more established Canadians were much less enclined to fight Europe's war....It is for this reason that I feel that the proper use of the Canadian UU is the peacekeeper. Following the establishment of the United Nations and Canadian push for peacekeeping initiatives, we were leaders in this department for nearly two decades.

Before I actually made the mod I started a thread to get input on this very thing. I startedt by asking users what they thought the UU should be among the following:
- Mountie
- Canada Corps
- Avro Arrow
- Peacekeeper
- Voyageur

I had made Civ3 mods with Canada Corps and Voyageur, and had made an old Civ2 mod with Mountie.

There were many different opinions but the majority appeared to favour Canada Corps, so that's what I went with. I supported this, as well, because I think it was a fair choice given Canada's military history.

Mounties were more for policing than military, and the Arrow was not something that really became a widespread reality. (Not that either of these are required, of course). Some people were actually offended at the idea of a Peacekeeper (although I'm not) because of the notion that they do more harm than good. (Again, not my point of view, but that was part of the feedback).

I've been toying with an idea re: the above units but I don't want to commit to anything just yet.

Thanks for your feedback. I really do appreciate the effort you put in to your comments.

Wyz_sub10 said:
Did you finally get it working, Mooseman?

Thanks, got it working! I absolutely love it! The Canadian Flag is a very nice touch. I can see you have spent many hours perfecting this Mod, congratulations it is very good.
I have played every version of Civ since 1.0 and this mod brings the game to life, for me personally.
I do have a few questions: Can this mod be combined with other mods? For example expanding the promotion tree mod? Could it apply in custom build mode? Expanded tech tree would be nice.
Is it possible to add different military units like: Naval dive units rather than SEALS, JTF-2 for special OPS, etc.
I don't want to get too technical I have over 30 years military experience and I'm still serving so I could help with that side of the house if you need it?
Don't let the critics get to you, I say don't complain get up off your duffus and do something about it.

Mm
[civ4]

Dear All:

Greetings from Canada!!! I hope this finds you and yours well. As for me, I could complain...yadda, yadda, yadda.

I guess you call me the new kid on the block, but I look forward to owning this game more than ever. I'll be honest with you. I passed on buying it before and bought Age of Empires III instead. I then saw a few of the screen shots and loved what they did with Hatshepsut and Catherine the Great. Beautiful jobs on both women!!!! I can't really say they did that hot of job on FDR.

I was looking through this forum last night at your maps, new civs, etc. It certainly warmed the cockles of my Canuck heart when I saw that someone put Canada in as a civ!!!! Thank you every so kindly for that. Nice touch in putting in the RCMP (Mounties) as a special unit!!!! :goodjob:

I would also like to say the same for the person who put in Stargate SG-1 as a civ and having Jack as its leader. Great taste. I can't wait to get these into the game.

In closing, thank you kindly for having me here and I hope I have talked too much.

Live long and prosper, take care and thank you kindly.

Sincerely yours always,

Indy.

P.S. I'm known as Indy on the net.

Top Bottom