Votes: 42 91.3%
  • Good idea, I wouldn't use it

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Bad idea, I wouldn't use it

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters

lutzj

The Last Thing You See
what if your workers could build canals?

You missed an option for the poll: bad idea, would use it.

I don't like the idea, because I don't see it as necessary for realism or gameplay. It would make things easier, in the same way that engineers terraforming mountain into grassland made Civ2 easier, but it isn't vital.
At the moment I think that cities that act as canals do the job well enough. Cities cost upkeep and maybe require you to make room for them, which reflects how costly it is to build and maintain a canal large enough to cross the amount of land represented by one tile.

However, if the idea was implemented of course I'd use it. I can imagine canals being helpful.

it's so frustrating that you have to sail all the way around for only one square

Brighteye said:
why use it if its a bad idea?

Brighteye said:

I don't like the idea, because I don't see it as necessary for realism or gameplay. It would make things easier, in the same way that engineers terraforming mountain into grassland made Civ2 easier, but it isn't vital.
At the moment I think that cities that act as canals do the job well enough. Cities cost upkeep and maybe require you to make room for them, which reflects how costly it is to build and maintain a canal large enough to cross the amount of land represented by one tile.

However, if the idea was implemented of course I'd use it. I can imagine canals being helpful.

:agree: yep yep

I like the idea for both canals and bridges. Make the lengths (1-3 tiles) available with different tech advances and make the longer lengths much more expensive/time consuming to build.

Another possible idea would be to charge a fee to use the canal or bridge.

lutzj said:
why use it if its a bad idea?
Because it would make winning easier.

It like a unit with 100 strength with no prerequisites and cost of 10 hammers. It is a bad idea, because it would make all the other unit obsolete but if it was in the game be sure I'd use it.

JustAnotherUser said:

It like a unit with 100 strength with no prerequisites and cost of 10 hammers. It is a bad idea, because it would make all the other unit obsolete but if it was in the game be sure I'd use it.

If the game ever gets too easy just bump up the difficulty level you play on.

As this could be built by both the AI and the human player I don't see it unbalancing the gameplay in any way.

sahkuhnder said:
If the game ever gets too easy just bump up the difficulty level you play on.

As this could be built by both the AI and the human player I don't see it unbalancing the gameplay in any way.
It would not unbalance the gameplay, it would totally destroy it.
Now you have the whole of Civilization 4 played using a single military ground unit, with a good half of the tech tree made useless, and all the difference of combat made redundant. Whoo-hoo!! That's fun... NOT!!!

Oh, wait, maybe you meant for the canals. :p
Well, then I don't see it really necessary, building a city in choke point cover that well enough for me, a bridge improvement to cover 1-2 squares wide gaps of water on the other hand...

JustAnotherUser said:

:stupid: He he...

However, I like the idea of tunnels. Perhaps a tunnel function would be good, say once we discover construction or something we can build tunnels, which let us move under hills for 1 move. (Of course, only if a tunnel is built.)

Brighteye hit's it spot on. There's no need for canals when a city works just as fine. I always take into consideration when positioning a city if there's a chance it can work as a canal later on.

Kan' Sharuminar said:
Brighteye hit's it spot on. There's no need for canals when a city works just as fine. I always take into consideration when positioning a city if there's a chance it can work as a canal later on.

Using a city as a canal allows only a one tile transit, and often forces you to build your city in a less desirable location then you normally would have.

You could still build a 'canal city' just as before, but by adding canals as a tile improvement it would give additional options and expand the number of strategic choices available to you.

what if you could allow some countries to pass through for free, charge others a 1g tariff, and bar some from going at all

salty mud said:
:stupid: He he...

However, I like the idea of tunnels. Perhaps a tunnel function would be good, say once we discover construction or something we can build tunnels, which let us move under hills for 1 move. (Of course, only if a tunnel is built.)

we have roads for that
tunnles could be used like canals on land, except they let land units travel short stretches of sea

I think it would be difficult for the AI to handle these things. Maybe the AI would build a canal from one side of the pangaea to the other:(

Ok, considering it hasn't been specified, I presume canal would be the tile equivalent of road/railroad, so you can have one or the other? I don't understand what canals would allow you to do... move naval units across land or what? Doesn't make sense. Unless naval units weren't allowed to attack from a land tile, but could only use it as a means of transporting to the other side of a large island, without having to go all the way round or something?

Chamaedrys said:
I think it would be difficult for the AI to handle these things. Maybe the AI would build a canal from one side of the pangaea to the other:(

It would be easy to avoid such an exploit by using exponentially increasing cost per distance.

Have different techs unlock specific length canals and bridges/underwater tunnels. A one-tile canal could come in ancient times, etc.

Have a one tile length be very expensive, and each additional tile length be maybe 3x more expensive/time consuming to build than the tile before. Short canals would be feasible, but long canals would be out of the question.

salty mud said:
I think tunnels should be after construction, mabye chemisty so you can blast the rocks away to build a tunnel?

Top Bottom