Cannot Locate

CyborgJesus

Chieftain
I have downloaded the FfH 2 Mod several times but once it have been downloaded to the mods folder under the BtS file, my computer tells me that it cannot find the shortcut. I even tried getting the download manager from gameflood, but when I tried downloading that time it told me that it could not find a copy of Civ4 installed on my machine.
:mad:

Please help!

Not entirely sure what your computer is telling you with the "cannot find the shortcut" bit. It sounds like you are clicking on the FfH shortcut, and it is saying that it cannot find the target? That should only be the case if you installed in the wrong location, or do not have BtS.

Since I am probably mis-diagnosing, I'll direct you to the Proper Installation Guide in my signature, ideally your answer is already in there, and if not I can ask you more questions and help you out through that thread.

I have downloaded the FfH 2 Mod several times but once it have been downloaded to the mods folder under the BtS file, my computer tells me that it cannot find the shortcut. I even tried getting the download manager from gameflood, but when I tried downloading that time it told me that it could not find a copy of Civ4 installed on my machine.
:mad:

Please help!

Load BtS, then Advanced>Load a Mod and select Fall from Heaven from the list. If that works, then you probably have Civ installed in a non-standard directory (C:\Program Files\Firaxis Gamers\Sid Meier's Civilization\Beyond the Sword is the "standard" and the Shortcut relies on it).

I finally managed to get BtS to patch to 3.13 (had to go to the site and get it direct). I reloaded FfH 2 and it still didn't work. Here is what I did.

1. Downloaded from Gameflood to desktop

2. Loaded mod to C\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

3. Fails to load

Error Message:

Windows cannot find "C\Program Files\Firaxis Games..."

Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again

It also does no appear in the "load a mod" advanced menu

Please help.

Ok, this is starting to just get irritating.

When I try to go to properties for the shortcut for FfH 2 my computer tells me

The name 'C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\...' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and the file name are correct.

:(

Do me a favor and right-click on your BtS shortcut, select Properties, and tell me what it says the target of that shortcut is please :) I am 90% certain that it will be quite different from the standard path. Should that be the case, please do go to the guide and follow the steps outlined there, starting with the one I just requested (that way you don't have to wait for me to respond again with further assistance should you need it).

The title of the Target for the short cut to BtS is

Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword

I'm not sure what that means, I know there is some difference from what it should be. Could you please tell me what I should do?

Did you read the Proper Installation Guide like I requested?

From there:

A quick way to locate the installation location is to right-click on the shortcut for BtS, Select Properties, then click the Find Target button.
NOTE: All files will be installed to the folder at this location titled MODS. (Typically C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 031.)
  • If you used Steam to acquire BtS, you will have to install the Mod in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 031

Please do read through the guide. I have taken quite a bit of time to make that as precise as possible, and it should answer all of your questions.

When I click on the Properties option I don't have access to a Find Target command, it only tells me the Target type, its location (Games) and the Target itself.

The reason I keep sending is because I have read through the guide and I do not understand what is going wrong, or how I can fix it.

So are you using Vista then? Unfortunately I am not completely aware of the layout of menus in that OS.

Can you post any screenshots? If I could see the window that opens up when you select Properties that could help me point you in the right direction. But mostly you are just looking for anywhere in that menu which lists a file path.

Alternatively, you can do a search on your harddrive for a folder called "Broken Star," "Next War," or "FfH Age of Ice." Find those 3 folders in the same location as each other and that is where you need to be installing FfH 2 031.

Ok, here is the 4 screen shots of the different menus

Oh, and when I looked up Broken Star and the other mods they apparently are not on my computer. It's like they are just part of the game, I can play them, but they do not appear in any of my files.

:wallbash:

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot2.jpg
    Screenshot2.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot3.jpg
    Screenshot3.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot4.jpg
    Screenshot4.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 67
First screenshot you took, you want to click on the button "Open File Location"

So if I am guessing things correctly, when you open that one you'll get a folder which contains those other ones, but not Fall from Heaven 2 031. If that is the case then you just need to copy the FfH folder into this area.

To set up your shortcut, you'll have to write down what the file path is to those folders. But it is really wierd that in your screenshot it just says the name of the file... not a pathway... Did you get BtS by buying the box and installing from DVD, or did you download through Steam? If you are using Steam things get a touch trickier, and I have to just hope that the guide written by another Steam User can guide you through it. Otherwise you'll just be stuck loading BtS, then loading the mod through there each time.

When I choose the Open File Location, it just sends me here.

:wallbash:

I did load BtS from a CD not a DVD, might be noobish of me saying so, but that is what is says on the box.

LOOK TO NEXT POST

Attachments

• Screenshot5.jpg
    Screenshot5.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 64
Scratch what I said about the MODS folder being useless. FfH now appears in the 'load a mod' menu. The only problem is that when I try to load it an error message pops up, saying that it failed to load the GFC primary control theme. How do I fix that?

As a side note, when I install FfH, where do I install the mods to? (Assets, Resources, or just right on top of the original)

Ok, maybe it is a shortcut to a shortcut... Right click on the BtS icon in this folder and see what it says (if it is also a shortcut, follow to the target once again)

EDIT: And twice in one day I fail to refresh before I post....

Ok, so you got it working now, that rocks. For each patch and re-install (which you will have to do when .32 comes out in a few weeks) you will want to target this "Mods" folder. It'll target the FfH directory properly automatically from there in.

The GFC error thing is a known issue which typically means that you have installed in the wrong location... Were the other Mods all in that folder?

EDIT 2: Ooh! Inkball is one of your games... so you have a Tablet then? How good is Vista for a Tablet? I've got the OS, but haven't wanted to install the little Bug-Bot while I am still in classes. I hear a lot of the new stuff was geared toward Tablet Users though...

No there wasn't anything in the MODS folder. The reason I thought it worked was because when I put it in there it showed up on the load a mod screen. It just won't actually load, I get the GFC error. If what you said is true, then I'm screwed, because there are no other folders that look like they could be where it should go. :cry:

When I right click on the BtS icon in the games folder it just gives me this

Maybe it won't work because all of the information for the game is still on the disk. It won't let me play it without it. This might be the case because almost all of the folders for Civ are empty or have very little in them.

As far as your question, I am not sure what a Tablet is, all I can say is do not use anything with the word Vista on it if you can avoid it. It basically cripples your computer with incompatability issues for EVERYTHING.

Can you think of anyway of just tricking my computer into running the game? Seems I have to do that for everything.

Or maybe how I should set the game up if I reinstall it. I'm using the Gold Edition of original Civ4, which includes Warlords. Could that be a problem?

Attachments

• Screenshot6.jpg
    Screenshot6.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 55
Tablet means you have a special pen that you can write on the screen with (or just control the mouse pointer in general).

What do you get if you choose Customize from that list on right clicking BtS?

You can try searching for those files again, but tell the computer to look in Hidden & System Folders as well, that might find it for you finally.

It shouldn't be an issue with the information still being on the disk. You had to sit through an Installation process before you could play BtS the first time, correct? If not... Vista blows my mind, and is annoying as hell ;) But if so, then we are good, just have to figure out what the "trick" was that happened here.

I think that the reason FfH showed up for you with where you put it the last time is because you are in the Custom Assets Folder. While this works for many simpler mods, it doesn't work for BtS because of the numerous changes (I think primarily the graphical ones are what causes the hiccup there).

So for now the best steps are to see what Customize does for you, and to try another search, but looking inside of Hidden Folders this time. (If you can't find where to do that from post a screenshot of your search window and I'll try to spot it for you).

When I loaded Civ I did go through about a 10 min process of loading, so I guess Vista is not totally nuts :lol:

When I right click on the Beyond the Sword icon in the Games folder it gives me a list of things like

Play<Play>
and then 5 or so other things called Play command 1-5 unused

This is what was displayed when I typed in Beyond the Sword in the Search menu with the Hidden files click on. If this dosen't help are there any key words you would suggest to look for?

Attachments

• Screenshot7.jpg
    Screenshot7.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 60
Search for folders called "Broken Star," "Final Frontier," "Next War," or "FfH Age of Ice."

Each of those are mods which you should have available through BtS right now, and thus are in the proper location somewhere. Though in truth it ought to be inside one of those 2 BtS folders which shows at the top of that search you just posted.

Top Bottom