Can't Exit Properly

JBearIt

Ard Ri
I've had no bugs (so far) during the actual playing of the game but when I try to quit from the main menu, the screen just freezes up. Cntrl alt delete won't even get me out so I have to shut down my computer.

FYI - Using Gateway Pentium II 450 MHz with Windows 98

What resolution do you run your monitor at? The game runs at 1024x768 256 colors if I remember correctly and perhaps your video drivers are freezing your screen when you exit the game and try to return back to your original Windows setting. Something to check at least. There's a way to modify the .ini file to set the resolution so you can either play with the resolution of the game or your monitor and see if that clears up the problem. If you can set the game to run the same resolution as normal, then you know that somehow it's related to the resolution switch.

HTH,
Jay

I actually don't know what resolution I'm running at... I'll have to check. I do know that when I first run the game, MS-windows shrinks towards the upper left corner, the screen goes blank (I think oh sh*t it's not going to work) and then the game starts up. I wonder if the two are related? At least I'm in the situation where the real problem comes after I'm done playing rather than preventing from playing in the first palce.

There is a key you can add to the civilization3.ini file in the main directory that forces that game to use whatever your Windows resolution is. If you are running anything 1024x768 or higher, I would think it would allow you to run the game without your video card and monitor switching video modes. Then if the problem goes away, great!

Unfortunately, I can't find the info. I think the option was adding

KeepRes=1

to the civilization3.ini file but I'm not sure cause I saw this at apolyton.net for an unrelated problem but if that uses the same mode as your Windows session than that would elimate the mode switch and perhaps fix your problem. If not, then something else or another driver might be problematic. Back up your .ini file before you try it though, I'm not sure if that was the right option but I saw it I think at the Apolyton "help" forum which I can't access now due to server load.

Jay

Top Bottom