Can't uninstall/reinstall on Windows 7

drumdrum

Chieftain
I have been playing Civ 4, Warlords, and recently BTS on my Windows 7 home premium Dell computer with no problems. I have a Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4 ghz with 4.00 gb ram and 64 bit operating system. It is only since I tried installing some new software that things got messed up. To make a long story short, I have tried to follow the uninstall/reinstall thread that advises:

install the most recent version of DirectX 9c from Microsoft
then do the following for a clean reinstall:
Uninstall and Reinstall Civ4 Warlords BtS :
Try to follow this order when doing stuff:
Use Control panel to uninstall Beyond the Sword, then Warlords, then Civ4
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\beyond the sword" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\beyond the sword" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\beyond the sword" manually
(note: application data is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files, also these directories
in application data are sometimes removed by the uninstall routine)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}" (Civ4)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{3E4B349F-10B5-4586-9D99-489A90A8B228}" (Warlords)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}" (BtS)
(note: InstallShield Installation Information is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files).
Install Civ4, immediately patch it to 1.61 (download it fresh from here)
Install Warlords, immediately patch it to 2.08 (download it fresh from here)
Install Beyond the Sword, immediately patch to 3.19 (download it fresh from here).

No problem with uninstalling BTS and Warlords but when I try Civ 4 I get this message:

An error(-5004:0x80041f420has occurred while running the setup.

Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor Firaxis Games
(##IDS_PRODUCT_URL##)

I shut down the system and re-booted a number of times and still get the error. I also tried to start Civ 4 since the uninstall didn't work, but it doesn't start anymore.

Help.:confused:

O.K. I thought I would do everything from scratch, since this is a new system.

I reinstalled Windows 7.
I then installed Civ 4.
I tried to install direct x 9.27. (A prompt said I was succesfull)
Everything looked as if the install was succesfull, but my system shows direct x 11.
I then tried running the latest patch.
I was unable to finish running the patch with an error saying it couldn't find something ... sorry I didn't get to write it down.

O.K. I'm trying to do this one more time.
Reinstalled Windows 7.
Tried to install direct x 9.27. (same prompt tells me I'm succesful)
This is what I'm looking at now: (direct x 11)

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/7/2009, 02:15:28
Machine name: BRIAN-LAPTOP
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Studio XPS 1640
BIOS: gPhoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A10
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4060MB RAM
Page File: 1258MB used, 6861MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11DX
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

O.K. Where do I go from here?

Follow up to anyone interested. I checked my drivers, and found out they needed to be updated after installing fresh Windows 7 OS.

I then re-installed Civ 4 as admin and patched it as admin ... got error #1706 "No valid source". :confused: ... however, the game started up this time!:eek:

Now I will run it through it's paces before I install Warlords and BTS. I guess you can't believe all the error messages.:crazyeye:

Hooray! :D

You will only be able to see the latest version of Direct X in the DxDiag report.
Dx11 will not overwrite Dx9/10, when a new version is installed, it is a seperate entity to other version of Dx.
I had no problems installing Civ 4/BTS on my 32bit Win 7 Pro laptop and 64bit Win 7 Home premium PC, although I haven't tried to play vanilla Civ 4, just BTS, which, when installed will patch Civ 4 to the latest version, or at least, the latest version available when BTS was released
It could very well be an issue with drivers

Top Bottom