Capture ships?

Theov

Deity
I've made a unit in my mod, the Prize Ship. It was supposed to be a transport-only ship, that could be captured by enemy ships if left undefended.

Now it seems my ships just sail over it as if it's not there. Meaning it can go around unharmed... I don't know if that was my intention :D.

So - is it possible to make a ship that can be captured (like workers/settlers)?
Or else I'll give it a defense of 1, so it stands defenseless but will be sunk.

What happens if the prize ship is in a city, that you capture?

I have an early airship without any defenses (air unit in case someone miss the point ;) ) and they can be captured that way.

I don't know what happens if it's in a city, haven't seen that many (they are only built by some ships winning a battle).
If I encounter it, I'll let you know.

The weird thing is though, I have a 'scout ship' which is a defenseless ship also, but they get captured at sea.
The Scout Ship sails under a flag.
The Prize Ship sails under no/barbarian flag. So would that make the difference?!

Last edited:
I also have a Prize ship with hidden nationality, and the same happened to me when it was defenseless (Def=0). If I remember correctly, AI was able to capture mine Prize ships, but I couldn't capture theirs. I think it's the combination of zero defense strength and hidden nationality-flag that causes this behaviour. It's the same with defenseless land-units with hidden nationality too.

@Theov - The problem I believe is that if a Civ cannot build the Prize Ship it won't be able to capture it. In past mods where I've had similar type units, I made sure that they were "Available To" all Civs, but then had them require an unobtainable resource in order to build. This allowed them to be captured.

My thoughts exactly, then I read Theovs reply.

You can only capture, that you can build yourself (z. B.: Scouts can be captured by other expansionist civs, because they can build them on their own, but other civs will simply kill them).

Another solution, could be to set the privateers and other pirate ships to enslave enemy ships as prize. My own pirate ships enslave enemies as transport of their era.

This is a well-known feature of units with Hidden Nationality and 0 defence.

If you want yourself/the AI to capture it, you'll have to remove the HN flag. No other way around it.

Top Bottom