Captured cities immediately annexed

Any further updates with this?

What the devs say about the workarounds seems to help. I get this after the 'Choose great pearson' menu and since I nearly always complete liberty first that probably explains why I'm getting this so often. So picking a GP saving and re-loading should clear this. I've had times when this occurs which is not so obvious. Most likely I've used an F-key shortcut without realising since it is so ingrained to do so!

Re-loading seems to help but I'm not sure if it works on the turn you take a city. A few times I've remembered to save before taking a city. The times I've saved on the _same_ turn as capturing the city (with the annex bug) there seems to be no difference. Ie taking the city, even after re-loading, will still 'auto-annex'. Which seems odd.

Another bit of info which may be useful. I had this problem again in a game I've just finished. I saved and reloaded but cities kept annexing. I made peace and two cities were offered to me in the deal. Both of these brought up the annex/puppet dialog.

Thanks for everyone's input on this. The issue is caused by certain keyboard shortcuts being used for UI. The work-around for the time being is to not use F-key shortcuts, and use the mouse to open pop-up UI (like victory overview, religion overview, demographics, etc.).

It still happens to me. I use no mods, and no shortcuts for capturing cities, but i still have it auto-annex about 2/3s of the time.
If i reload from autosave it'll usually pop up with the option, but it's highly irritating having to constantly load from autosaves in war-heavy games...

Just chipping in. I also encounter this bug quite often lately, especially when I play a longer game and am on a domination spree. Unfortunately I clean up all my savegames once I finished a game, so I couldn't attach one.

The bug doesn't let me chose the city option (auto annex) as well as with city states (also auto annex, cannot liberate). No happiness impact.

One small piece of advice: also avoid using the escape or enter shortcut key to exit a popup :crazyeye:

If I understand correctly, the sequence for popups to operate properly must be:
Code:
Events.SerialEventGameMessagePopup
UIManager:QueuePopup
Events.SerialEventGameMessagePopupShown
UIManager:DequeuePopup
Events.SerialEventGameMessagePopupProcessed
This sequence is not properly observed in the game's lua code when using the escape or enter key to escape popups such as the tech tree.

Every time I capture a city it automatically gets annexed, doesn't even give me the option to puppet. this is particularly annoying when im trying to liberate city states...

It's happened almost every single game since the patch. Also sometimes natural wonders don't give me happiness and city states don't have intro screens with welcome money when i first meet them.

Anyone else experience this? It's really annoying and I basically can't have war anymore because i don't want to annex/raze every city.

Moderator Action: Moved to the master thread on this bug.

Ah i think i understand now.

Basically one cannot use ANY keyboard shortcut for UI stuff.

So as soon as i hit F6 to open tech tree in the current game session, any cities i capture afterwards will not properly prompt for annex/puppet/raze.

This is extremely annoying, as i use shortcuts to open various UI stuff like F4 for diplomacy screen info, F5 policies, F6 tech tree, etc.

Ugh, hope this gets fixed.

Is there an ETA on the next patch / fix? Because this is bugging me really bad, I don't want to spend half of the time reloading saves to fix this issue, it really spoils the gaming experience...

This is still a problem post hotfix. Just took a city and it annexed without popup. Just prior to taking Muang Saluang I pressed F6 to view science tree. Perhaps that's still a problem? I'm playing as Pacal and have had two UA GPs + Liberty finisher.

All in all though much improved I've played a couple of games and taken many cities and not seen this. Using F-keys and 'Select GP dialog' throughout.

Attachments

• Pacal - auto annex.Civ5Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 90
The popups still start not showing sometimes. Although I don't yet know what triggers the start of this problem (might be the science screen, as noted by Juanholio). However, I find that opening the science screen and subsequently closing it fixes all missing popups I should have got until that moment.

Example:
0) (starting at some trigger) Popups don't appear anymore.
1) I meet a city state: no popup appears. I clear ruins: no popup appears. (Usually it takes a couple of missing popups before I realize I should have gotten one ;))
2) I open the science screen and close it again.
3) I get a popup "You have met...", after that a popup "You have received culture", etc.
4) All popups work again as they should. After a while, the situation starts again at 0).

In state 0, the popup events appear to be 'saved', but their effects will only take place when the fix (2) is applied. Most notable are city capturings: without the popup the city is auto-annexed but the happiness/culture effects are not calculated yet (the popup choice seems to trigger that effect). After step (2) the choice for annex/puppet is given and effects are calculated accordingly.

Note: after the hotfix, I haven't yet captured a city in state 0, but I did experience the described behavior (1-4) with CS/ruins post-fix and the described capturing behavior pre-fix.

Simone1974 said:
Does it happen also on new savegame?
In my case, it was an entirely new game (post-hotfix).

@Realyn: you may well be right about that. I didn't know for sure.

This is also happening to me, with new games created post-hotfix. I do not have any mods installed, but i do have G&K and all the DLC. I do use the keyboard (especially ESC) all the time, as I try to avoid RSI from too much mouse-clicking, and by this point it's just habit.

I gather it's a difficult bug to diagnose, but I hope it can be fixed soon. It's a major drag.

The hotfix seems to have overlooked the case where the escape or enter key is used to exit the tech tree.
Workaround: do not use the escape or enter key to exit the tech tree.

It also seems to incorrectly adress the case where an F-key is pressed while the corresponding popup is already displayed: this queues 2 requests, while only one is removed.
Workaround: do not use F-key to exit a popup.

I have Civ5 GOTY and G+K installed. I play Civ5 without G+K. Cities started to be annexed, I couldn't make them puppy, but I could live with it.... but then I saved game and today I loaded it. And now I have 43 unhappiness.... So not only cities are autoannexed but also its unhappiness is not visible (until save/load?).

Top Bottom