Carthaginian Civilization

molnutz

Chieftain
This mod adds the civilization of Carthage. The mod can be downloaded from the mod browser in-game (called Carthaginian Civilization). :goodjob:

Carthage

Leader: Hannibal
Trait: Winds of Trade - +1 Gold per trade routes, naval units +20% strength (targeting 1 promotion) vs. other naval units
Unique Unit: Numidian Cavalry - essentially cheaper Horseman unit.
Unique Building: Cothon - Replaces Harbor and adds a small defensive bonus as well as a +1 culture bonus.

Current Version

Available on MOD BROWSER - version 5 stable (final release until I can edit unit graphics and leaderhead animation, or...if there are any bugs)

Change log

Spoiler :

CHANGE LOG:::::

Version 5 (10-10-19)
XML - fixed Numidian Cavalry, now requires horse

Version 4
XML - added diplomacy text
ART - added custom unit ad building icons, updated existing graphics, added cityatlas icons

Version 3 beta
ART -updated some graphics (minor - trying my best to get the art to match the style of the vanilla icons
XML - added start preference so civ starts along ocean
XML -changed Trait to "Winds of Trade" - see above
XML -some minor text changes

STILL TO DO:
Create custom unit art (that'll probably be a while)

Please feel free to let me know about any suggestions to this mod as I'm always looking to make it better.
Also looking for any BUGS, text errors, etc. that need to be changed.

Enjoy - :goodjob:

Attachments

• CARTHAGEOPENSCREEN.jpg
    CARTHAGEOPENSCREEN.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 1,809
  • Carthage.jpg
    Carthage.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 1,152
  • Civ5Screen0019.jpg
    Civ5Screen0019.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 1,173
Did you know the military harbor of Carthago was in fact a drydock for some 350 ships and that the carthagian shipbuilders cranked out triremes like bad because of it (and because they used standartized prefabbed parts). They didn't have enough man to crew all this ships properly so they were very vulnerable to enemy boardings, so they prefered to ram enemy ships instead of shooting at them.

I'm currently working on a classical age szenario mediterranean map (a "craddle of Civilisation" that doesn't cut off Mesopotamia), so i'm very interested in having a Carthago civ around (to make an accompanying modmod if i'm learning how to code it together).

By the way your texts and artwork are superb!

I also wanted to chime in: great artwork use (or did you do this yourself even? That would be too sick ;) ) and very nice, atmospheric text.
And the trait and UU/UB aren't overpowered I guess, which is also good. :)

I also wanted to chime in: great artwork use (or did you do this yourself even? That would be too sick ;) ) and very nice, atmospheric text.
And the trait and UU/UB aren't overpowered I guess, which is also good. :)

Thanks, but you're right - I'm certainly not that great at artwork. The opening screen was in the public domain - I'm not sure exactly what it's from or who it's by (would be nice to give credit to the artist); All the other graphics are essentially originals (mainly multiple images sliced together.

--

Thanks for the feedback - the one thing with the UB is that it is available earlier than the harbor - which I feel comes too late in the game.

On a side note, one thing that still bothers me is that if you play a game where the AI plays Carthage, the icon on the cities is the American icon - not sure how to edit this, or if it's burried in LUA or something. If anyone knows the answer, please let me know.

Gameplay wise, this will NOT play like Carthrage. Why?

"Trait: Punic Mercenaries - 25% chance of converting Barbarians; Units (melee and mounted) partially heal if they destroy an enemy (+2hp) - this is fun to see in action."

This is even more powerful than Germany's UA, and means that Carthrage will have the largest, BIGGEST, army of low tech brutes in the ancient era, able to stomp and crush the likes of Rome and China. Doesn't make any sense, why would Carthrage have a horde of brutes? Carthrage is suppose to be an empire based on trade, not on war.

Better UA:

"Punic Mercenaries: Land units cost 25% more, buying land units cost 25% less. Great General's have increased 2 extra movement."

Net result on gameplay? You are less likely to build units, more likely to build buildings like markets and harbors and whatnot. You are more likely to build trading posts, and a trading empire, to generate wealth, so you simply hire your army. And what would a Carthrage be without Hannibal, one of the greatest generals of all time?

@ashmizen

First off, thanks for the feedback.
I don't know if the trait will make Carthage the most powerful civ - as Germany and the Ottomans have a 50% chance of conversion, rather than 25% -as Carthage does.

The whole idea behind 'Punic Mercenaries' was that Carthage often relied heavily on foreign mercenaries to fight it's battles; after all, it pushed Rome back and was a very formidable opponent. You are right, though, it shouldn't be the "biggest" army per se, so somethings can be adjusted.

I do like your idea of the trait. One question though, how far into the game with Carthage did you get and was the trait actually problematic, or merely inaccurate.

I'll do some playing and tinkering with the xml files on my days off, so until then, let me know if there's anything else.

Germany gets 50%, but only from taking a Barbarian village, which makes it hard to get the ball rolling on Emporer difficulty or higher (hard to take a fortified warrior with my own warrior!).

You fight so many more barbarian units than actually taking a barbarian village, 25% conversion on units is definately more powerful than Germany's 50% on taking a village. Is it overpowered? Probably fine in a normal game, almost definately yes on Raging Barbarians :) It snowballs, since your warriors also heal after taking a unit, you don't even need to rest like with Germany's strat. It seems strong, but either way, it seems to drive the gameplay in the wrong direction. It turns Carthrage into a rush-with-warriors civ that I might expect the Aztecs to be.

And no, I haven't tried it, just speculating :)

I don't think its unbalenced, just think its wrong, for historical reasons.

Germany gets 50%, but only from taking a Barbarian village, which makes it hard to get the ball rolling on Emporer difficulty or higher (hard to take a fortified warrior with my own warrior!).

You fight so many more barbarian units than actually taking a barbarian village, 25% conversion on units is definately more powerful than Germany's 50% on taking a village. Is it overpowered? Probably fine in a normal game, almost definately yes on Raging Barbarians :) It snowballs, since your warriors also heal after taking a unit, you don't even need to rest like with Germany's strat. It seems strong, but either way, it seems to drive the gameplay in the wrong direction. It turns Carthrage into a rush-with-warriors civ that I might expect the Aztecs to be.

ok, i get what your saying now. i'll try a few rounds later and see if it snowballs. a conquest victory after 50 turns wouldn't be much fun. :lol:

i'm on the same page here, from what i gathered, Carthage was very trade oriented powerhouse with a very strong navy to protect it's trade routes. The reason it's army is so known is because it fought against rome (who didn't even dare to oppose Carthage on the waters at that time) and because it had some elephants in it, which was a novelty in Rome (good thinking of you to not make those elephants the UU, i think i would have fallen in that trap if it was my mod)). I think some ability should reflect that naval strength.

Updated v3 beta - will be up soon

New trait: Winds of Trade - +1 trade route, naval units start with targeting 1 promotion.

I just have to do some testing.

Maybe its too early in the morning and I haven't had my coffee but I am not seeing the download for this?

Maybe its too early in the morning and I haven't had my coffee but I am not seeing the download for this?

There's no attachment on the forum - it's strictly through the mod browser - might have to type in Carthaginian in the search field for it to pop up

V4 up

VERSION 5 UP ON MOD BROWSER --

Haven't heard any feedback in a bit, so I imagine everything is running smoothly?

In that case, this will be the FINAL release unless there are issues or bugs OR until I'm able to update the unit graphics and leaderhead animation.

Top Bottom