Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

What the "heck" is going on here:

1. National Science Foundation: Whats the purpose of building it if your taking away over 100 gold? and not getting that much research in return?

2. I am in the Renaissance Era now and my "Highest" science" in a city is only 37 something?:mad:
You seem to have the research slider at 0%. Hence the low science in the city and the low return in science from the National Science Foundation.

Hydro, from looking at that screenshot, I feel this has become rather problematic. This 1:1 gold expense to research/espionage benefit is madness... I'm hoping you realize this and have plans to at least somewhat reign in. I'm with you that some paralleling on the expense is necessary perhaps and one way to reduce runaway research but wow... at 1:1 with additional upkeep at times... that's basically a building you just don't want to build since all it represents is an enforced slider (with the only benefit being that it can take science or espionage away from excess gold as opposed to commerce (or the other way around I never can remember which...)) Anyhow, suffice it to say that's just, well... unfair really, and insults the person who builds any research buildings at all for their unwise waste of building resources.

You seem to have the research slider at 0%. Hence the low science in the city and the low return in science from the National Science Foundation.

Yeah, thats because i am in the Golden Age and i keep everything at 0 then(bad time to take the pic, my bad), BUT even up till then, 37 HIGH and i am in Renaissance Era?

What the "heck" is going on here:
1. National Science Foundation: Whats the purpose of building it if your taking away over 100 gold? and not getting that much research in return?

I pushed to fix the NSF.

Hydro, from looking at that screenshot, I feel this has become rather problematic. This 1:1 gold expense to research/espionage benefit is madness... I'm hoping you realize this and have plans to at least somewhat reign in. I'm with you that some paralleling on the expense is necessary perhaps and one way to reduce runaway research but wow... at 1:1 with additional upkeep at times... that's basically a building you just don't want to build since all it represents is an enforced slider (with the only benefit being that it can take science or espionage away from excess gold as opposed to commerce (or the other way around I never can remember which...)) Anyhow, suffice it to say that's just, well... unfair really, and insults the person who builds any research buildings at all for their unwise waste of building resources.

What do you suggest then? Note that not all buildings are 1:1. Many are around 2:1 where 2 is +:science: and 1 is -:gold:

For example Mathematics Academy gives +3:science: and -3:gold: when you first build it. But at Algebra +2:science: and Compulsory Education you get +2:science:. Thus coming out to +7:science: and -3:gold:.

idk if this has already been suggested before, but I thought that a game/BUG option could be no global warming.

Well... goaling at 1:2 is probably right I think, particularly where we lean towards 1:3 and set the stage for increasing benefits to penalties as you suggest. That's pretty good thinking imo.

But I don't think it works well to balance out with %s. Take a library, for example. I believe there would be a flat rate gold cost sure, perhaps -1 gold per version increase or per era value of the building, but not a percentage gold penalty, even though there's a percentage benefit to research.

Its ok for some buildings to be fundamentally strong, making them prime pegs in economic development. As well, percentages, as have been discussed before, also set us up for a negative to be more strongly impacting as well down the line. A market is enhancing the penalty on gold wherever a - exists as much as the bonuses where the +ses exist. So in some ways, as double edged swords, they tend to do some self balancing.

I would fear that negative percentages begin to enter dangerously imbalancing territory and for unsuspectable reasons.

Hello, am I suppose to report a bug here @ ~ @?

Regardless, I am having a problem playing your mod. I can't even get into the game ( The mod could be loaded however)... After I started a game ( after selecting the size of the map, the country I want to play etc ), I got a Runtime error. The error told me that " the application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way". Could you help me?

I think it is also necessary to tell you that I live in Hong Kong and my windows is a traditional chinese version. And also, I have been suffering from the TXT_KEY problem... are these facts related with the bug? I have the pictures showing the error thingy but I am not sure should I just show it here, So, if you need it please tell me where should I put/ send them. Please Help!

Thanks in advance :)

Another suggestion: a sickness penalty for cities built on hazardous resources, such as oil or uranium.

@DH, i believe you have made this:

Code:
<Class>UNITCLASS_TRACKER</Class>
            <Type>UNIT_TRACKER</Type>            
            <Combat>[B]UNITCOMBAT_HUNTER[/B]</Combat>
            <Domain>DOMAIN_LAND</Domain>
            <DefaultUnitAI>[B]UNITAI_HUNTER[/B]</DefaultUnitAI>

but as you can see, i dont know if you want it to enter vessels or not like scouts, just asking?

Thx for clarifying below;)

@DH, i believe you have made this:

Code:
<Class>UNITCLASS_TRACKER</Class>
            <Type>UNIT_TRACKER</Type>            
            <Combat>[B]UNITCOMBAT_HUNTER[/B]</Combat>
            <Domain>DOMAIN_LAND</Domain>
            <DefaultUnitAI>[B]UNITAI_HUNTER[/B]</DefaultUnitAI>

but as you can see, i dont know if you want it to enter vessels or not like scouts, just asking?

Trackers, hunters, rangers, "gamesmen" and "big game hunters" have special AI code. They also attack so they should not enter caravels like scouts and other defensive units.

Trackers, hunters, rangers, "gamesmen" and "big game hunters" have special AI code. They also attack so they should not enter caravels like scouts and other defensive units.

:O Really?!? I was going to, at some point, complain that such adventurer types can't board caravels and such. Here's why... they aren't a threat to another nation... too small for that really (and perhaps they should be nerfed just a touch as well as adding some anti-recon promos to balance things out too.)

But they can't benefit from getting any mid-game goodies because those goodies have become guarded by neanders or barbs that will never move from the huts. So sending out only those that can reveal the map without being able to send out some really minor recon units seems like a trivial effort in the end.

We have to earn the right to get these attackable recons with the advanced hunting lodge and its really frustrating they can't be put on boats as the singular types they are.

:O Really?!? I was going to, at some point, complain that such adventurer types can't board caravels and such. Here's why... they aren't a threat to another nation... too small for that really (and perhaps they should be nerfed just a touch as well as adding some anti-recon promos to balance things out too.)

But they can't benefit from getting any mid-game goodies because those goodies have become guarded by neanders or barbs that will never move from the huts. So sending out only those that can reveal the map without being able to send out some really minor recon units seems like a trivial effort in the end.

We have to earn the right to get these attackable recons with the advanced hunting lodge and its really frustrating they can't be put on boats as the singular types they are.

Send explorers they do better against rogues and such like anyway.

My strategy is to keep the hunters etc for unexplored barbarian landmasses where they step ashore and are attacked by 20 animals and as many spear men in the same turn. I need huge transports to take the spoils (slaves and subdued animals) back home. Meanwhile my explorers are automatically exposing my friends maps to me.

Send explorers they do better against rogues and such like anyway.

My strategy is to keep the hunters etc for unexplored barbarian landmasses where they step ashore and are attacked by 20 animals and as many spear men in the same turn. I need huge transports to take the spoils (slaves and subdued animals) back home. Meanwhile my explorers are automatically exposing my friends maps to me.

After thinking about it, i believe your very correct in doing it this way. Plus i like the explanations.;)

I do send out explorers and it sucks they can't attack (at least once they are on new continental territory thanks to a caravel) but I wouldn't want them to be able to as that would throw off balance in other ways. Can we allow adventurers at least to go onto caravels and such?

I do send out explorers and it sucks they can't attack (at least once they are on new continental territory thanks to a caravel) but I wouldn't want them to be able to as that would throw off balance in other ways. Can we allow adventurers at least to go onto caravels and such?

Or perhaps even turn the Conquistador into an explorer that can attack AND get on a caravel?

Top Bottom