• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

See Edit in previous post #6276 about Volcanoes.

JosEPh

A small note, if you are saying see a post not on the same page, please link to it. My dyslexia is worse with numbers and page and telephone numbers flummox me. (and yet my degree is in pure mathematics and I worked in computing, go figure)

A small note, if you are saying see a post not on the same page, please link to it. My dyslexia is worse with numbers and page and telephone numbers flummox me. (and yet my degree is in pure mathematics and I worked in computing, go figure)

Even if not on the same page, they should link. Not everyone has the same number of posts displayed per page (I have 40 per page), so giving a page number is meaningless.

It's a post # not a page number. Gee Whiz! :rolleyes: Every Post has one top right hand corner.

JosEPh :/

But if you don't link it I will go to the wrong post. When you said look at #6276 I think I looked at #6267 instead, was confused and went to read another thread instead. My confusion over the number is especially true if there is a lag when changing pages.

I had some more questions:

1. I've noticed that you can have a Neanderthal culture, and that some AI civilizations have Neanderthal units when I play. How does that work?

2. In the new version I've noticed some kind of new resource, represented by blue circles intercrossing or something. I don't know what it means. Banditry promotion gives something about it, and when I hover my mouse over a square I get the value of that resource. What does it represent?

I had some more questions:

1. I've noticed that you can have a Neanderthal culture, and that some AI civilizations have Neanderthal units when I play. How does that work?

2. In the new version I've noticed some kind of new resource, represented by blue circles intercrossing or something. I don't know what it means. Banditry promotion gives something about it, and when I hover my mouse over a square I get the value of that resource. What does it represent?

1. Cultures in c2C are something you can build. If you have stone near your city you can build the Neanderthal Culture. It is a wonder so only one can be built. If you have that culture you can build neanderthal units.

2. show a picture, I have no idea what you are talking about from just the text.

1. Cultures in c2C are something you can build. If you have stone near your city you can build the Neanderthal Culture. It is a wonder so only one can be built. If you have that culture you can build neanderthal units.

2. show a picture, I have no idea what you are talking about from just the text.

I think he means the crime icon.:rolleyes:

But if you don't link it I will go to the wrong post. When you said look at #6276 I think I looked at #6267 instead, was confused and went to read another thread instead. My confusion over the number is especially true if there is a lag when changing pages.

My response wasn't aimed at you DH. That's why I put the link in the post. It was to dusckr87.

I understand your situation. I've worked every day for 19 yrs with a man who has to overcome your type of condition. And see the frustration in his face when others don't understand.

Seems I'm on a losing roll of late. And even my lame attempts at Humor are falling flat on it's face.

I started a new game on Snail with DP and by 29740BC my Capital's Fat X has 2 erupting volcanoes in it. One has erupted 6 times since it formed in 47840BC. I can continue this game but until I get Tribal my city is pretty much unimproved. And looks to stay that way. Unless you have some guy named Joe that I can throw into the Volcano to get it to be dormant.

Oh by the way if it wasn't for Koshling's option to auto turn when no action is required I would've quit this Snail game in the 1st 20 turns. Click Eot, wait on Running man, Click Eot wait, yadda yadda yadda....:p

And no wonder so many ppl are crying too much gold. They're playing on Snail and slower and you have soooo much more time in game to accumulate a treasury. It's Whacked! And no wonder ppl can't understand what I'm seeing too.

I'll stick with Epic thank you all.

JosEPh

And no wonder so many ppl are crying too much gold. They're playing on Snail and slower and you have soooo much more time in game to accumulate a treasury. It's Whacked! And no wonder ppl can't understand what I'm seeing too.

JosEPh

why does game speed make a large difference got is issue? Whatever the speed the gold surplass or deficit is per turn, so I am not understanding why game speed should be a large factor. Is it basically down to nit having time to build a lot of gold producing buildings?

why does game speed make a large difference got is issue? Whatever the speed the gold surplass or deficit is per turn, so I am not understanding why game speed should be a large factor. Is it basically down to nit having time to build a lot of gold producing buildings?

Thats why I feel increasing the iconstruct is good for game balance, not having time to build all the building is a good thing. Using strategy for your build order in cities, having to carefully weigh up what to build, and what to fore go adds to the game. So yes, epic impacts it in this way, although not as much as increasing the iconstuct in gamespeed xml.

JosEPh

O had to go back to Marathon also, but even that is taking too long for me in-between turns, some are over 40 turns per tech, way to much for me (personally).

The way Snail was set up before worked perfectly for me, wish they didnt change it, or moved it to Marathon, it was perfect IMHO, but now even Marathon is too much and after Classical again, the turn times are getting waaaay too much again also, no offense to anyone.

My response wasn't aimed at you DH. That's why I put the link in the post. It was to dusckr87.

I understand your situation. I've worked every day for 19 yrs with a man who has to overcome your type of condition. And see the frustration in his face when others don't understand.

Seems I'm on a losing roll of late. And even my lame attempts at Humor are falling flat on it's face.

I started a new game on Snail with DP and by 29740BC my Capital's Fat X has 2 erupting volcanoes in it. One has erupted 6 times since it formed in 47840BC. I can continue this game but until I get Tribal my city is pretty much unimproved. And looks to stay that way. Unless you have some guy named Joe that I can throw into the Volcano to get it to be dormant.

Oh by the way if it wasn't for Koshling's option to auto turn when no action is required I would've quit this Snail game in the 1st 20 turns. Click Eot, wait on Running man, Click Eot wait, yadda yadda yadda....:p

JosEPh

Sorry, I am a bit humourless at the moment, but I am just back from the doctor with a mostly clean bill of health - to fat but not eating enough red meat.

The latest versions of volcanoes has caused one to appear next to my city but it has not erupted yet. Even so I am not building anything next to it just using the extra food.

Sorry, I am a bit humourless at the moment, but I am just back from the doctor with a mostly clean bill of health - to fat but not eating enough red meat.

ahaha not enough Wallaby's in that there stomach, or are you a Kangaroo fan??:popcorn:

Glad your Health is improving DH!

I have a screenshot of my city but it's too late here to post it tonight.

@Koshling,
I keep hearing ppl post that they've built Everything and I wonder how the heck do you do that. Now that I started a Snail game I can see where they are coming from. The number of turns alone just to get to Tribal makes a big difference. What's it gonna be like at Navigation and Med Era?

I can't build everything on Epic. I sure as heck try though. But still every turn I have to decide what's most important for each of my cities, with a mind towards keeping a good balance between Units and Bldgs. Then between bldgs that will give me gold, health, happy, culture and yet keep crime, fire, pollution under control.

I'm gonna continue the snail game for awhile yet. But I can tell you from my perspective the Mod plays better on Epic than it does on Snail no matter what is suggested for the mod.

JosEPh

There is only one shortish period where I can have cities where I have built everything, late Med to early Renaissance. That is on Snail and Noble difficulty.

And I was talking about in general, not that specific post. I've seen people say "page#" and that is meaningless as everyone can set their post/page at a different amount.

Thats why I feel increasing the iconstruct is good for game balance, not having time to build all the building is a good thing. Using strategy for your build order in cities, having to carefully weigh up what to build, and what to fore go adds to the game. So yes, epic impacts it in this way, although not as much as increasing the iconstuct in gamespeed xml.

@ls612 - I guess you're the gamespeed man now (congratulations!). What's your take on all of this, and do you propose to make any moer balancing changes in this regard?

With the new tribal defenders (they're great!) minor start lost one of the biggest appeals (early empire growth). Having stumbled upon a wikipedia article on egypt-hittite relations I was thinking that the early game (prehistoric,ancient) diplomacy could be spiced up and made a bit more interesting. I'm aware those are some rather big changes and probably won't be easily implemented via XML editing alone and maybe they aren't even possible at all but I just want to get the ideas out here. It's just a first idea and open to critique.

1. Opt-in open borders, opt-in NAP aka loose Diplomacy.
The idea is that once you have first contact with another civ you recognize each other but don't sign on any initial (currently baseline) diplomatic agreements, meaning
- you can openly enter enemy territory
- you can openly attack enemy units
This obviously also means you have a rather bad relationship with those civilizations. Alternatively you could also just start AT WAR with everyone at first. But the key then is that your base relation with other civs should be as negative as it needs to be to not allow peace treaties.

2. Region specific Languages
The negative base relation would be named "We don't speak the same language" - because your 'native culture' (american, european, african etc.) should provide you with a distinct language (obviously only once you researched language). This language gives you a boost to all other civs with the same language, allowing for early negotiations, but nothing more than "don't just kill our guys" treaties.
The twist on this is that after a certain amount of time (whatever is appropriate for the gamespeed you play at) you will be able to learn the language of the other civ, probably by building a specific building, increasing relation due to "same language". This would allow simple treaties with non-native civs (e.g. egypt-hittite).
Some ideas to interact with that design: reduce turns it takes to be able to learn the language when exposed by either:
- Militaric action (low % chance on victory "taking slaves/POW", not as actual units just as a explaination for the mechanic)
- Capturing civilians like Gatherers (should always reduce the time by a few turns)
- Mixed culture, when there is foreign culture of the civ you want to learn the language from that should reduce the time too - or just give a production bonus on the language building once you are able to build it.
- Also an Ancient Rosetta Stone, unlocked with Writing, requires Stone or Marble halves the time it takes to be able to learn a foreign language (obsoletes late ancient, before medieval) for you and any civ you have contact with.
- Diplomatic/Religious leaders should have a higher chance for "learning" (building) foreign languages once available while more war-mongering leaders will just do it when they feel like it.

3. Further advanced foreign relations
I think religions already give a relation bonus and if nothing changed I think other leaders will automatically get their favorite religion in their capital once they are founded. This would simulate cultural proximity which usually expresses itself in similar religious choice (well 'choice' *cough*) and allow for further improvements in relation and more diplomacy once state religions are available (should be mid-late prehistoric, right?) Maybe the numbers need a tweak here.

The next step should be at Writing, School of Scribes should increase the relation with all leaders whose language you're capable of speaking. Either at that point or with research of alphabet (increasing the +relation of school of scribes) you should be able to do diplomacy with other civs as usual, obviously influenced by all the normal factors like different civics, military history, religion etc the normal stuff.

I think religious civics should also play into those relations, pagan/religionless or more free religious civs should care less about different religions (i.e. a Divine Cult Druidic civ would have +relation to another Druidic civ even when they have Free Church. but would have strong -relation to a civ who has Kemetism as state religion even when they have Divine Cult active too. The Free Church Druidic civ would still have a bit -relation with the Kemetism civ but not as much, but the Kemetism civ would hate the Druidic civ even though they have Free Religion - sorry if I'm rambling here)

Possibly have a further +relation with "known language civs" with Education/School(Building) but not to the point where +relation is abundant and too easy to come by.

Feel free to instantly shoot me down should this be impossible with the engine or add/improve on this idea :)

@ls612 - I guess you're the gamespeed man now (congratulations!). What's your take on all of this, and do you propose to make any moer balancing changes in this regard?

I'm playtesting some new changes to Gamespeeds, which is mostly increasing every modifier by 25%. I will add them before the freeze, but I'd like to have some more time testing them to make sure nothing is too screwed with them.

Top Bottom