Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Developing Leaderheads is nowhere near done but it's quite playable as it is now. Lots of plans there that are somewhat on hold at the moment as my focus has gravitated back towards the Combat Mod. I'll gravitate back eventually and finish some plans there.

Hi, just saw that there was a verion 32 out.
I had some crash problems with v.31, but after installing a bugfix named "CVGameCoreDLL_5903" C2C have never run so smothly! Is there a simular bugfix I should install for v.32?
Just afraid the game to start crashing again, I really wanna play it :)
Also i was wondering if there where somewhere I could read about the changes from v.31?

Then I also had a idea for the cammo units. Maybe they could be ably to ambush. Could work like this: If an opponents unit would step in to the cammo units tile it would be like they where attaking it. The cammo unit would get the defence bonuses and probebly win.
Just an idea. Thoughts anyone?
Thanks for a great mod! BR Loffas

Then I also had a idea for the cammo units. Maybe they could be ably to ambush. Could work like this: If an opponents unit would step in to the cammo units tile it would be like they where attaking it. The cammo unit would get the defence bonuses and probebly win.
Just an idea. Thoughts anyone?
Yep, sounds exactly like a plan I have on my list - quite a while before I can get to that really (well maybe not as bad as I think since I must try something similar soon) but its definitely something I've been meaning to include.

Hi, just saw that there was a verion 32 out.
I had some crash problems with v.31, but after installing a bugfix named "CVGameCoreDLL_5903" C2C have never run so smothly! Is there a simular bugfix I should install for v.32?
Just afraid the game to start crashing again, I really wanna play it :)

No patch needed. V32 has the v31 core patch built in already.

Also i was wondering if there where somewhere I could read about the changes from v.31?

Look in the main C2C forum for a thread called "v32 Changelog". You can't miss it. Also all SO's v32 announcement posts link to it.

OK here is my idea to replace the free at tech for building new cities.

Before Sedentary Lifestyle and Chiefdom you get no say in what buildings you get free in a new city you will get a hunting, gathering or fishing village depending on the terrain and what it contains. The basic infrastructure buildings will be the same (eg bark gatherer, herb gatherer) but the others will not. Most of the buildings will be added at the end of the turn so that you can settle the animals in the city. For example if you choose a hunting village and settled a bison herd then you will get the Bison Hunter's camp also. Whereas if you chose farming you would get berry bushes, seed camp etc. Fishing would give you tide pools etc. and perhaps an ancient work boat if there is a sea resource you can use in the city (or maybe just improve the resource and build the extra buildings associated with that resource).

Once you have both you will be asked what sort of village you want this to start out as and you will get the free buildings associated with that type of city.

With agriculture gathering village will be replaced by farming village.

With mining a new village type - mining will be added.

With Monarchy and ? - military or defensive village will be available.

With City Planning you get the above plus you get a list of buildings that you can build (next turn?) by paying for them. Cost would be slightly less than the same as hurry cost.

Anyway that is the basic idea.

OK here is my idea to replace the free at tech for building new cities.

Before Sedentary Lifestyle and Chiefdom you get no say in what buildings you get free in a new city you will get a hunting, gathering or fishing village depending on the terrain and what it contains. The basic infrastructure buildings will be the same (eg bark gatherer, herb gatherer) but the others will not. Most of the buildings will be added at the end of the turn so that you can settle the animals in the city. For example if you choose a hunting village and settled a bison herd then you will get the Bison Hunter's camp also. Whereas if you chose farming you would get berry bushes, seed camp etc. Fishing would give you tide pools etc. and perhaps an ancient work boat if there is a sea resource you can use in the city (or maybe just improve the resource and build the extra buildings associated with that resource).

Once you have both you will be asked what sort of village you want this to start out as and you will get the free buildings associated with that type of city.

With agriculture gathering village will be replaced by farming village.

With mining a new village type - mining will be added.

With Monarchy and ? - military or defensive village will be available.

With City Planning you get the above plus you get a list of buildings that you can build (next turn?) by paying for them. Cost would be slightly less than the same as hurry cost.

Anyway that is the basic idea.

I like this very much;), as in your religion idea!!

A question: I want to help with the development of C2C, but I have no knowledge whatsoever of XML or Python. What do I do?

A question: I want to help with the development of C2C, but I have no knowledge whatsoever of XML or Python. What do I do?

If your a faith person, pray:please: to the Gods up above, or below, where ever they are, , just kidding . . . :joke:

We had alot of people like this already, infact, we have a few right now that HAD no experience with XML, now "python" is a whole new "Monster."

But i will leave this UP to the other modders here, IF they want to take you under their wing, maybe, maybe not, dont be offended it they dont, they are very very busy, because they are currently training people also. Now is you know python or C++ at least some, its a different ballgame.:)

Codeacademy.com is a free place to teach yourself code.

Photoshop or digital art skills?

Help me gather information from google and sites for Transhuman Era content.

Help create a weekly article for Moddbb with right future and I. (About the newest updates to the mod)

Civilopedia articles

CiV 4 XML is easy to learn, I could teach you, starting with how to make Technologies.

Azure's Visual Guide to Techmaking
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=464810

I am learning how to make Buildings and will release a visual Guide for that (After I get it fact checked with Hydromancerx and others).

Also, just having discussions and suggesting content is perfect! Ill make a thread tonight expanding this topic.

@mod Team What are the programming languages used in CIV 4 modding?

XML
Python
C++

Also, once you have the basics of XML modding down, you should take a look at the C2C Guide to XML Modding for some more advanced notes that will help tremendously in working with all info files.

probably it was Downloaded more often as SVN is not counted ;) just saying that demographic isn't to accurate

We also have 132,000 visitors at Mod DB and I am not sure how many downloads.

I'm sure SVN has the statistics

XML IS VERY VERY - EASY TO LEARN!!!!!

Almost anyone can figure out editing,
by cutting and pasting text,
and moving around tags until you understand them,

then learning the things from C2C,
with the help of any of us who know,
and the great tutorials over the C2C forums and Civfanatics.
(Just start by looking at at a C2C XML file by opening it with your notepad - program - usually under your windows accessories folder.)

(also-always have a backup, in case it messes up!)

I want to quote and highlight parts of MrAzure and Thunderbrd,
I inserted italicized text and reorganized the order of things a bit for emphasis.
>>>

CiV 4 XML is easy to learn!!!!!!!!!!!

I could teach you, starting with how to make Technologies
Codeacademy.com is a free place to teach yourself code.
...and you can learn to use notepad or a free program like notepad++ to open xml files and look/edit the simple tags.

1.... Learn to edit XML!!!!
...If you know how to use notepad, word, or html. It is very easy,
...for the most part you probably already know 90% of it, just learn to experiment with tags. and ...read these suggested tutorials.

2.Help me gather information from google and sites for Transhuman Era content.

3.Help create a weekly article for Moddbb with right future and I. (About the newest updates to the mod)

4. Photoshop or digital art skills?

Spoiler :

Civilopedia articles

Azure's Visual Guide to Techmaking
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=464810

I am learning how to make Buildings and will release a visual Guide for that (After I get it fact checked with Hydromancerx and others).

Also, just having discussions and suggesting content is perfect! Ill make a thread tonight expanding this topic.

XML
Python
C++

Also, once you have the basics of XML modding down, you should take a look at the C2C Guide to XML Modding for some more advanced notes that will help tremendously in working with all info files.

It really is that easy to learn XML.

C2C Modder's Guide to XML
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=507107

Then all you have to do is learn what XML tags to use where,
by playing around with moving them,
and ask for some guidance on where to better place things to interact with C2C.
Each area has it's own rules and order.

I say everyone grab a mentor and a student, once you feel comfortable.

It is good to have partners and choices to help you overcome small bumps and improve your code.
All you have to do is grab notepad to start looking at our XML code;
some one could link some examples - hint.

---(I propose we start a C2C - Basic - Modding School thread)

We would love to see more people wanting to learn!!

and if you don't want to learn basic xml code,
then, as suggested,
you can help keep the conversation going.

If you want to help improve C2C,
For instance. You can.

1. Share an idea, or ask questions.
-Just keep up the conversation on the things you love.

(Search is a great tool, Google or in forum to find what has already been talked about)

For example, "Why don't Neanderthals be the inventor of bone weapons?"
Don't be bashful,
as long as the conversation doesn't interrupt the creation of code,
we want everyone to talk freely about improving C2C and adding their ideas.

We may not have enough people, yet, to explore all of them, but with your help, we could. :)

2. If you find an interesting bit of information on the internet:

Neanderthals may have made tools from bone, study says
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-neanderthals-tools-20130813,0,6482422.story
and it may have been possible that prehistoric man learned it from them 1st.

3. You don't have to know how to code,
however easy,
you can just suggest moving things around to improve them.

For instance,
"Shouldn't Bone Weapons be triggered by Neanderthals."
It is always nice to show a linked source also. :)

4. You could also just suggest a list of items, or reorder a existing list as a suggestions.

Why not?
---1. Neanderthals show up.
---2. Bone Working.
---3. Bone Weapons.
because... It is good to always include a reason.

Just remember we are all super busy,
so some ideas take time to get noticed.
You may just have to keep reminding us!

Hope that helps everyone who wants to see C2C become even more completely awesome,
at the very least least, feels free to talk about it! :)

I challenge you all!

Top Bottom