Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

The Pantheon for normal buildings looks a bit too much like a wonder IMO. Maybe a simple House would fit better there? Or a Crane?
Pantheon... looks like a gazebo to me... ^^.
Jokes aside, I do see your point, but it would be a little underwhelming as the wonder icon.
To me, the icon represent a town hall or another integral structure of a city, and the ancient Greek/Roman architecture of it makes it a somewhat timeless symbol for just that.
Perhaps a hammer would be a better icon for regular buildings and the current building icons could be used for Wonders... I don't know.

Last edited:
What's wrong with simply using the gold star for wonders?
Gold stars are the sign of world wonders, but this tab contains national wonders (and projects IIRC) as well.

Besides, that is better understood by the "veteran" players, but the tab labels should be easily recognizable by the new players, too.

i'd say that the Gazebo/pantheon looks good for normal buildings, especially with the Pyramid beside it, though a rectangular box with three windows a door and a triangle on top would work in the same way,

I keep running into memory errors! I really wished 64bit games happened earlier. :sad:

I have a small request to anyone reading this able and willing: could you recreate Civilization 4 + expansions in a modern 64bit engine (like UE4 or Unity) so we can have more moding capabilities? Assuming you can get the OK from 2K and Firaxis.

I keep running into memory errors! I really wished 64bit games happened earlier. :sad:

I have a small request to anyone reading this able and willing: could you recreate Civilization 4 + expansions in a modern 64bit engine (like UE4 or Unity) so we can have more moding capabilities? Assuming you can get the OK from 2K and Firaxis.
Always start small.

What era are you hitting this?

Late Classical, almost to Medieval. I start with 26 Civs, Revolutions (l love it), Barbarian World, Barb Civs, Smartmap with map size override to be a few sizes larger than Gigantic. All combat options on except for Outbreaks, ZOC and SM Uncut. I'd use Viewpoints but I don't know how to switch between them so its kinda annoying. I rage quit yesterday so I don't have a my save anymore. :cringe:

Decided for next time I will not go while than the largest default map size and # of Civs.

with map size override to be a few sizes larger than Gigantic
Well... there ya go.

It IS pretty early though, even for this size.

I have a 16gigs of RAM, R9 390x and a i5 6600k but the game can't use them because of engine limitations! :cry:

Also an idea: An option for Neanderthal world similar to Barbarian world. I have never even seen a Neanderthal city before.

I have a 16gigs of RAM, R9 390x and a i5 6600k but the game can't use them because of engine limitations!
Yeah that's the part the drives me bonkers too. I've been plotting out ideas for a new game but theres so much still to do here. So much to learn (and plan) to do that as well. But I'm starting to think of it as an innevitability.

An option for Neanderthal world similar to Barbarian world. I have never even seen a Neanderthal city before.
Noted.

Yeah that's the part the drives me bonkers too. I've been plotting out ideas for a new game but theres so much still to do here. So much to learn (and plan) to do that as well. But I'm starting to think of it as an innevitability.

Apes2Angels would be nice name, as you start not much different than apes, and you end up essentially as angels.

Late Classical, almost to Medieval. I start with 26 Civs, Revolutions (l love it), Barbarian World, Barb Civs, Smartmap with map size override to be a few sizes larger than Gigantic. All combat options on except for Outbreaks, ZOC and SM Uncut. I'd use Viewpoints but I don't know how to switch between them so its kinda annoying. I rage quit yesterday so I don't have a my save anymore. :cringe:

Decided for next time I will not go while than the largest default map size and # of Civs.
If you are going to use Rev Barb world and barb civ On at same time cut the # of starting AI Civ in half. Especially on a Map size bigger than Giant. You will still get oodles of Civs springing up from those 3 Options being On but you can play longer.

Also an idea: An option for Neanderthal world similar to Barbarian world. I have never even seen a Neanderthal city before
This is because you have too many starting AI Civ and Barb cities at game start. Use the default # of AI for map size, or less and with the neander City Option On you will see a few. But not as many as you would with Barb World and barb Civ Off. Too much competition between NPCs for the neander to survive very long.

Apes2Angels would be nice name, as you start not much different than apes, and you end up essentially as angels.
Yeah... no. I have a name for the game already. That's the easy part. ;)

Yeah... no. I have a name for the game already. That's the easy part. ;)
Which name?
By the way It was joke suggestion referencing some article on WaitButWhy site, that I can't find - it was one of future related topics.

Which name?
By the way It was joke suggestion referencing some article on WaitButWhy site, that I can't find - it was one of future related topics.
Now I can't reveal that yet. Someone will take it and use it for some other game and then I'll have to come up with a new one.

I have some real life responsibilities I need to take care of so I won't start my next game for another month or so but I want to share an idea I have.

What I love about Revolutions is that it introduces something I consider essential for a game to feel like you are actually managing a nation: stability. The problem is for big maps with a large number of Civ the mod opening the potential for having new Civs enter the game is problematic. From my experience the Civs created by Revolutions never even become big players anyway so I have two ideas for changes for the revolution mod. (1) Something akin to 'rogue cities' or 'city states.' They do not have a score and they do not compete for any victory conditions but the conflict comes from that they keep their city borders, they compete with your space and resources and they can join rival Civs. (2) A new property for a city's loyalty vs rebellion. Cities with low loyalty will have less production, contribute less empire wide goods such as Espionage and Research and may even have idle turns or even do random actions without your input. Ultimately if they are unhappy with you they may join a rival Civ.

Top Bottom