Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

I have figured out how to get Captives to the next stage ie Prisoners of War and it can also be used to get the UN troops back in the game. There is just one major sticking point, how to get it "user friendly". I am looking for ideas

In the cases above the unit needs to remember who it belonged to so that Captives can be traded back as part of diplomacy and in the case of the UN troops it is who is fitting the bill.

This can be done with a promotion "Previous Owner is Player n". Having it as Player 1 to 40 is easy but what would be better is if they actually said "Previous Owner - Norway" or what ever nation it came from. How do I do this? I expect that is would be sort of like the way Dynamic Nation Names are done but I am not sure.

Spoiler Some other stuff on this but not for comment yet :
Captives would also need a way to keep their level and exp but not any promotions.

UN troops are paid for by the Previous Owner who also would also gets to define (via a promotion) the Peace Keeping roll they have.
  1. Passive or defensive only.

They become the first defenders in any stack they are in.
    Any attack on them increases the anger of the owning nation to the attacking nation.
    If they successfully defend then the friendliness of the defended nation to the owner increases.
    If they are killed war weariness for the owner increases.

2. Aggressive

If they are killed in combat the anger of the owning nation to other increases.
    War weariness increases for the owner for each combat the unit is involved in.

Do people use the Perfect Mongoose Map- itr's great but there's an annoying tendnecy to place a tile or two of desetr between forest and tundra/taiga,

So you end uo with Camels on the edge of the arctic areas...is this intentional? Is it esaily modded out? (i doubt it!)

Do people use the Perfect Mongoose Map- itr's great but there's an annoying tendnecy to place a tile or two of desetr between forest and tundra/taiga,

So you end uo with Camels on the edge of the arctic areas...is this intentional? Is it esaily modded out? (i doubt it!)
They should be latitude restricted, unless you are using my mod, that removes all latitude/longitude limits, which is intended for space maps and custom climate maps.

I modded it out when I rewrote "Perfect Mongoose" into what is now called "World".
Might not be easy to mod out of PM without making substantial changes to the script like what I did when making World.

Given that there are three deserts on Earth that can be classed as deserts and are next to tundra on the scale of map used in Civ IV, I would think we would prefer to keep them. All three are rain shadow deserts, ie the winds that would normally bring rain there don't due to mountains and other geographic features.

The one known for its camels is of course the Gobi Desert. The others are in Chile and Antarctica.

In the "World" script I changed it so that areas that are cold and dry get the barren terrain, To me the desert/dunes/salt-flats terrains represent "Hot Deserts", or what some would call "True Deserts".
So Instead of finding Desert close to the tundra like in "PM", you'll find Barren close to the tundra in "World"

"Polar deserts are the regions of the Earth that fall under an Ice cap climate. Despite rainfall totals low enough to normally classify as a desert, Polar deserts are distinguished from true deserts by low annual temperatures and evapotranspiration." - Wiki

Tundra-permafrost and ice terrains can all represent different grades of polar deserts the way I see it. Some Tundras may have rainfall, while others don't, all the plots of one terrain type is not nessesarrily representing the same type of terrain and climate.

In the "World" script I changed it so that areas that are cold and dry get the barren terrain, To me the desert/dunes/salt-flats terrains represent "Hot Deserts", or what some would call "True Deserts".
So Instead of finding Desert close to the tundra like in "PM", you'll find Barren close to the tundra in "World"

"Polar deserts are the regions of the Earth that fall under an Ice cap climate. Despite rainfall totals low enough to normally classify as a desert, Polar deserts are distinguished from true deserts by low annual temperatures and evapotranspiration." - Wiki

Tundra-permafrost and ice terrains can all represent different grades of polar deserts the way I see it. Some Tundras may have rainfall, while others don't, all the plots of one terrain type is not nessesarrily representing the same type of terrain and climate.
Then camels need to be placed in barren terrains also.

When I make a new game one thing I do is to make sure there is at least 1 CIV of each of the 7 base cultures (European, African, etc.) When you pick Rome, you are not really picking Roman Empire, but 'European'. Rome is a wonder you build. So I was thinking if maybe we could simplify the selection a bit and get rid of countries on put all leaders into the seven culture groups? And maybe add another Neanderthal leader or too so Wrub doesn't feel too lonely? :p

When I make a new game one thing I do is to make sure there is at least 1 CIV of each of the 7 base cultures (European, African, etc.) When you pick Rome, you are not really picking Roman Empire, but 'European'. Rome is a wonder you build. So I was thinking if maybe we could simplify the selection a bit and get rid of countries on put all leaders into the seven culture groups? And maybe add another Neanderthal leader or too so Wrub doesn't feel too lonely? :p
That is a long term goal for the mod.

While there are manufactured resources, that aren't used by anything or just by recycling buildings, there is no producer of Skis resource.

Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2018-06-28 21-48-49-80.jpg

Replicators and mechs resources are placed too early in tech tree - should be Nanotech era.

Also Plasma Generators is referencing relatively unknown mod of other game.

Last edited:
Downloaded latest, first download since version update. Getting a message sbout caves, worldbuikder is broken.
Don't post in SVN thread. Delete mod and cache and redownload it.
Folder name must be Caveman2Cosmos

Downloaded latest, first download since version update. Getting a message sbout caves.
That means you did not update but only added. Some files get removed when experimental components are merged into core. You may have updated your SVN version but just copied it across your game/play version. This is not a good idea. You should synchronize, roughly remove all folders except your UserSettings folder and copy the others from your SVN version. You could get away with just removing and recopying the Assets folder.

While playing my latest game I figured out how to fix the National Smelter/Breeder problem and the old problem of how to give access to some metals before metal working like really happened. Eg gold for special jewellery with stone age techs.

The National Smelter/Breeder buildings were the solution to the problem of having a resource in your national borders but outside of all of your city work areas.
  1. Smelters. These should only exist for those things that are turned into ingots. Things that turn ingots into wares eg while Electrium is a naturally occurring alloy of gold and silver it probably should not be treated as a separate ore. It should be a by product of smelting gold or silver or it should only be a ware produced from gold and silver ingots.

An autobuild building "xxx Near" is given to the city if it has the resource in its work area. This gives a "xxx in Work Area" to all cities.
    xxx Smelter can only be built in cities with "xxx Near".
    xxx Far Smelter can only be built if have access to xxx and not "xxx in Work Area".

(Ren) xxx Smelter replaces xxx Smelter, requires xxx ore and Harbour or Caravan Post. Would be nice if we could have this so that it also replaces ones in other cities and that you could have 1 per "xxx mine".

(Ind) xxx Smelter replaces both and requires xxx ore and Commercial Port or Railway Station.

2. Secondary Smelters

These need to be reviewed. National Secondary Smelters should not exist at all. Should they exist, ie do ingots ever get made or is the real process one of combining the primary ingots into the wares?

3. Herds/National Breeders

A similar set of auto buildings can be used here.

I feel that you should not be able to place a herd in a city where you already have the animal resource in the work area.

While playing my latest game I figured out how to fix the National Smelter/Breeder problem and the old problem of how to give access to some metals before metal working like really happened. Eg gold for special jewellery with stone age techs.

The National Smelter/Breeder buildings were the solution to the problem of having a resource in your national borders but outside of all of your city work areas.
  1. Smelters. These should only exist for those things that are turned into ingots. Things that turn ingots into wares eg while Electrium is a naturally occurring alloy of gold and silver it probably should not be treated as a separate ore. It should be a by product of smelting gold or silver or it should only be a ware produced from gold and silver ingots.

An autobuild building "xxx Near" is given to the city if it has the resource in its work area. This gives a "xxx in Work Area" to all cities.
    xxx Smelter can only be built in cities with "xxx Near".
    xxx Far Smelter can only be built if have access to xxx and not "xxx in Work Area".

(Ren) xxx Smelter replaces xxx Smelter, requires xxx ore and Harbour or Caravan Post. Would be nice if we could have this so that it also replaces ones in other cities and that you could have 1 per "xxx mine".

(Ind) xxx Smelter replaces both and requires xxx ore and Commercial Port or Railway Station.

2. Secondary Smelters

These need to be reviewed. National Secondary Smelters should not exist at all. Should they exist, ie do ingots ever get made or is the real process one of combining the primary ingots into the wares?

3. Herds/National Breeders

A similar set of auto buildings can be used here.

I feel that you should not be able to place a herd in a city where you already have the animal resource in the work area.
Seems like some improvements if implemented.

I am about half way through coding it for my next game. It probably wont work for an existing game but wont break the game either.
Cool. This version will probably be almost all yours bro!

started a new game under Nightmare Deity and i noticed that the difficulty level kept going down, under Nightmare it should NOT?? is there a reason it does that??
Maybe you enabled flexible handicaps in BUG options by accident?

The current text in the Concept page on vicinity is

The Vicinity requirement for buildings means that the bonus is needed within the maximum work area for the city. For map bonuses that means that the plot containing the resource is improved and connected to the city by a route.

Buildings in the city may also give bonuses, e.g. the Horse Herd building built by subdued or tamed horses will provide the bonus horses and count as in the vicinity of the city.[PARAGRAPH:2]Multiple cities can have the same map resource in their vicinity but only one can work the plot.

Initially vicinity only looks at the Big Fat Cross but when your city can work out to 3 plots these new plots are also counted as in the vicinity.

The definition of vicinity does not change if you use the Realistic Cultural Spread option.[/SPOILER]​

With the introduction of the "Raw Vicinity" and "Far" concept this needs to change somewhat. I suggest.

Vicinity is about how close to the city a resource is and if the resource has been made available to the trade network.

Near (or "Raw Vicinity") means that the resource is in the work area of the city.

Local or Vicinity means that the resource is in the work area of the city and is connected to the trade network; i.e. has a route connecting it to the city and the plot has an improvement on it that grants access to the bonus.

Far refers to bonuses that are not in the work area of any of your cities but are in your borders and is connected to the trade network.
Any bonus provided by a building in the city is counted as being in the city vicinity.

There is currently a known bug where by the bonus does not need to be inside your borders but can also be in neutral territory. This bug shows up anytime that your city borders are smaller than the "fat cross" for example if you are using the "City starts with one tile" or "Realistic Cultural Spread" game options or when your city can only work the first 9 plots because of its cultural level.​

Top Bottom