Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Only NPC leaders had iAttackOddsChangeRand slightly increased.
I know, would like to see that randomness at small values for normal leaders too. like somewhere between (-4, 4).
It would make leaders less predictable, but we don't want them to be chaotic, a leader should have some solid characteristics that makes each of them feel like a personality on their own.

NPC teams are cool as chaotic forces, where you never really know what they will do each turn. ^^

Barbarians and Neanderthals will build less units, but are more aggressive with attacking.
Animals now also will attack more.
Suggestion:
Green Man
<iBaseAttackOddsChange>-10</iBaseAttackOddsChange>
<iAttackOddsChangeRand>20</iAttackOddsChangeRand>​

Animals will then have an attack odds modification range of (-10, 10), that changes from turn to turn within that range.

Comparing with barbs in latest SVN:
who have an odds modification range of (0, 20) that changes from turn to turn within that range.​

Make sense that barbs are chaotically more aggressive aggressors than animals who should just be chaotic neutral (swinging around the zero point).

Suggestion:
Green Man
<iBaseAttackOddsChange>-10</iBaseAttackOddsChange>
<iAttackOddsChangeRand>20</iAttackOddsChangeRand>​

Animals will then have an attack odds modification range of (-10, 10), that changes from turn to turn within that range.

Comparing with barbs in latest SVN:
who have an odds modification range of (0, 20) that changes from turn to turn within that range.​

Make sense that barbs are chaotically more aggressive aggressors than animals who should just be chaotic neutral (swinging around the zero point).
This iBaseAttackOddsChange would be new thing for animal NPC.

This will add some dynamism to animals.

This iBaseAttackOddsChange would be new thing for animal NPC.

This will add some dynamism to animals.
Make sure not to turn it up too high. We have Aggressive Animals to control that as an option. If it's off, you should be able to get around in the wild without constantly being attacked by every animal you encounter - and many animals should never attack.

Make sure not to turn it up too high. We have Aggressive Animals to control that as an option. If it's off, you should be able to get around in the wild without constantly being attacked by every animal you encounter - and many animals should never attack.
iAttackOddsChangeRand was at 16 [combat victory odds artificially adjusted by +0 - +16] and now its 20 but with iBaseAttackOddsChange at -10, that is combat victory odds adjustement for animals is now between -10 and 10 - not sure if this is randomly picked per battle or per turn.

So now animals are actually less aggressive.

I set iBuildUnitProb to 30 and iAttackOddsChangeRand to 20 for Barbarians and Neanderthals.
Animals got iAttackOddsChangeRand of 20 too.
Some questions that I think should've been considered before making any changes.
1.Did you look at the settings for Aggressive Barbs before you made this change? That would've been ideal thing to do before making changes to SVN.
2.Do you know if Difficulty level makes adjustments to these settings?
3.If Barbs and Neanderthals (NPC) are too aggressive then lower level players may get killed too early in the game. (Testing)

Some questions that I think should've been considered before making any changes.
1.Did you look at the settings for Aggressive Barbs before you made this change? That would've been ideal thing to do before making changes to SVN.
2.Do you know if Difficulty level makes adjustments to these settings?
3.If Barbs and Neanderthals (NPC) are too aggressive then lower level players may get killed too early in the game. (Testing)
Well barbarians already had iAttackOddsChangeRand close to 20.
This is random value, so sometimes its 0 and sometimes is 20 and sometimes would be value in between - average would be 10.
Those values aren't changed by handicap.
Those tag values that I changed aren't affected by Raging Barbarians.

Those tag values that I changed aren't affected by Raging Barbarians
Then How are the barbs made more aggressive or raging if these tags are not used???

Then How are the barbs made more aggressive or raging if these tags are not used???
Other things are changed for barbarians in code with that option like spawn rate or willingness to attack city.
Or it wasn't as straightforward in code.

So now with Barbs active in a game the player can expect to be attacked more often from Barb units. Once a barb unit sees your unit then it will be more inclined to attack. Some will like this, others will moan and groan now too. :lol: It won't please everyone!

Possible perceived problem, Barbs build units faster and more of them in early game than player and AI. Will barbs now overrun fledgling empires? We shall see won't we! :mischief:

Possible perceived problem, Barbs build units faster and more of them in early game than player and AI. Will barbs now overrun fledgling empires? We shall see won't we! :mischief:
Well this is controlled by different item - iBuildUnitProb - I reduced it from 45 to 30.
This means less produced units, but each one will be more prone to lemming off on your units.

Re SVN 10562 More buildings.

Just for info. :)

When adding 10 new buildings, how much more memory etc. is used up per city, assuming a city builds them all. Then all the other cities on the map.

I only ask because as we keep on adding more and more things (units, buildings, techs etc.) adding more to the memory needs etc. - as the game progresses further into the future - we will eventually exceed Civ4 limits.

Does not really bother me as I rarely get up to the modern era anyway (or what ever it is called now). Except for the slowdown it may cause in the early gamegame.

I don't know. Slowdown is noticeable as the game progresses, but I'm not sure if the asset count is primarily to blame. I found that the building consolidation project helped marginally, so it would be good practice to make sure most buildings go obsolete eventually and make generous use of replacements.

Obsoleting buildings does not reduce memory usage from cities that has built the building, as a building built in a city will still be counted as a built building in that city after it obsoletes.

Of course, new cities will never build the obsolete buildings, so in that sense it does reduce memory usage of cities. ^^

Obsoleting buildings does not reduce memory usage from cities that has built the building, as a building built in a city will still be counted as a built building in that city after it obsoletes.

Of course, new cities will never build the obsolete buildings, so in that sense it does reduce memory usage of cities. ^^

I see. Are we at a point where the number of buildings is so great that they are becoming a memory problem?

Don't obsolete buildings get removed from cities which had them? Would it be helpful for memory and load times to manually abandon them with ctrl+A in city screen then?
I remember building Chief's huts in many cities and then whenever I would switch any civic, I would get a load of notifications about the Chief's huts having stopped working, even though they were already not working since I switched away from chiefdom the first time.

If I'm not mistaken there are also later buildings which replace earlier ones, what happens in that case?

Top Bottom