Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

AI use of size matters:

in my current game, the Americans, who are slightly behind me technologically, have a 4:1 strength ratio to me. However, they have trouble expanding and have small cities (over-sacrificing population?) Worse, they have several large super units, which however they are not using in their current war with the Maori, but which are garrisoning small cities in the interior. So the ai doesn't realize that it is massively wasting troops. The Americans also have a huge amount of money, 100k+, which they never seem to use. Or are they using conscription to produce to many useless units and is that why they are not growing?

Remark on gaming religion:

So State Religion with Spirituality, Religious Disabling, and Divine Prophets is giving unlimited priests and free golden ages for each great prophet.
That makes it easy not only to never go into civil unrest, but also to rush most religions and build the more powerful large religious wonders.
I think State Religion should be more intolerant -- it should be impossible to built missionaries other than your own religion, perhaps with exceptions provided by wonders.
There should be more resistance to foreign religions spreading and the happiness penalties should be larger, perhaps cumulative with each turn. Otherwise there is never an incentive to use inquisition to purge religions. On the other hand, acquiring other religions through conquest could give a player using State Religion an interesting option if they want to switch later.

Proposal: end stockpiling of "negative crime" / disease / education etc. They become too easy to manage early on (classical age if not earlier). Make it so that crime can never fall below 0, or perhaps below a positive minimum number determined by technoogy and civics. (e.g. Banditry gives you higher base crime etc).

Combine with continuing to accrue crime/disease etc. during unrest/revolution. While a civilization is in revolt, crime becomes rampant, etc.

Proposal: adjust scale factor for large maps downward.

I like playing with giant or gigantic maps, as they give a better sense of the premodern size of the world; distances should matter, and even large empire should be able to control only a small part of the globe. But the scale factor allows pretty large empires. I think it would be worth experimenting with lowering the scale factor or eliminating it altogether (or perhaps making it adjustable in the settings).

Proposal: end stockpiling of "negative crime" / disease / education etc. They become too easy to manage early on (classical age if not earlier). Make it so that crime can never fall below 0, or perhaps below a positive minimum number determined by technoogy and civics. (e.g. Banditry gives you higher base crime etc).

Combine with continuing to accrue crime/disease etc. during unrest/revolution. While a civilization is in revolt, crime becomes rampant, etc.
I really like this and have been thinking along the same lines for years.

Does anyone know if this would be easy to test locally? Especially to test what would happen if crime and disease couldn’t go below zero?

Hey, i have a trouble with Domestic Adv. some columns are missing names, cant do anything with that in edit mode. C2C downloaded from SVN just few days ago on steam version. Can i fix it somewhere? Cheers

Attachments

• domestic adv problem.png
    domestic adv problem.png
    222.2 KB · Views: 12
I really like this and have been thinking along the same lines for years.

Does anyone know if this would be easy to test locally? Especially to test what would happen if crime and disease couldn’t go below zero?
AIAndy explained to me once what would have to be done so that the axis of the math doesn't shift when it hits a fixed limit, but it was very complex and lost me in the explanation. I think I could figure it out if I was working on the coding at the moment but trying to financially stay afloat is more critical for me at the moment and still taking 7 day dedication. Further, I'd rather take excess crime control and make it 'oppression' and have negative effects if oppression is taken too far. Disease, maybe not an issue to limit. I also wanted the ability to set an absolute limit for an electricity property so that you can't get less than no energy available left when moving to a property based electricity system, which is how this came up originally.

AIAndy explained to me once what would have to be done so that the axis of the math doesn't shift when it hits a fixed limit, but it was very complex and lost me in the explanation. I think I could figure it out if I was working on the coding at the moment but trying to financially stay afloat is more critical for me at the moment and still taking 7 day dedication. Further, I'd rather take excess crime control and make it 'oppression' and have negative effects if oppression is taken too far. Disease, maybe not an issue to limit. I also wanted the ability to set an absolute limit for an electricity property so that you can't get less than no energy available left when moving to a property based electricity system, which is how this came up originally.
Yeah, I’ve thought about the approach of having negative effects for the control society that negative crime implies. I really like the prospect of having to try and balance to find the sweet spot.

Hadn’t really thought of it being complex to limit f.ex. crime to zero. But I can see how that could mess up the math.

Could you point me to the file where I could find the crime autobuilds so I can see how they are created in the xml.
Shouldn’t be too hard to create my own autobuild effects for negative crime if I can see how the ones for positive crime are defined I think.

I play sometimes with like 30,50,more supply caravan units trading to make money(cuz its awesome) and it gets horrible pressing the button over and over, ive tried holding alt and shift and ctrl trust me, I havent had any luck with a group mode, anyone do it and it works?

I play sometimes with like 30,50,more supply caravan units trading to make money(cuz its awesome) and it gets horrible pressing the button over and over, ive tried holding alt and shift and ctrl trust me, I havent had any luck with a group mode, anyone do it and it works?
Is that button removed when the units are grouped? I've (probably) seen this happen in some other case, but was too long ago, and I'm also too lazy to test your problem now, lol.
What I mean, is you can group units via "move all of this type" button, then Escape - or simply by holding Shift and selecting all units one by one (much slower, yes).
I'm absolutely sure that you can use the "add food (or production, for the other type)" in bulk - but I have no clue about the specific "trading" button, since I never use it anyways.

Is that button removed when the units are grouped? I've (probably) seen this happen in some other case, but was too long ago, and I'm also too lazy to test your problem now, lol.
What I mean, is you can group units via "move all of this type" button, then Escape - or simply by holding Shift and selecting all units one by one (much slower, yes).
I'm absolutely sure that you can use the "add food (or production, for the other type)" in bulk - but I have no clue about the specific "trading" button, since I never use it anyways.
well, i can select them all easy and move as a group to where I want, and of course, if I want to gift the units I can gift the whole 50 with one click...but "perform trade mission" with the whole group selected activates only one trader at a time and sends it back to the home town(so I only build at the capitol,which sucks of course). So with a big group, clicking a horsehockyload every 2nd-4th turn is annoying, still its a good way to boost cash for buying buildings quick if you can manage to get like more than 20 made, or more than 50.

oh, another annoying thing i noticed(re-remembered) the religion screen doesn't expand on the x dimension so you can see the full effects of what religions do after every religion has been discovered, no slide bar or anything like that...off topic but whatever, i dont know how to alter things like that(user interface) so I don't presume to try.

Yeah, I’ve thought about the approach of having negative effects for the control society that negative crime implies. I really like the prospect of having to try and balance to find the sweet spot.

Hadn’t really thought of it being complex to limit f.ex. crime to zero. But I can see how that could mess up the math.

Could you point me to the file where I could find the crime autobuilds so I can see how they are created in the xml.
Shouldn’t be too hard to create my own autobuild effects for negative crime if I can see how the ones for positive crime are defined I think.
The xml file folder is fairly self explanatory as far as buildings are concerned but I think the magic of them being created and destroyed on reaching particular property thresholds happens in the property xml files IIRC. The XML is quite easy to study and replicate I believe but maybe someone with a bit more time for giving instruction could help more thoroughly.

oh, another annoying thing i noticed(re-remembered) the religion screen doesn't expand on the x dimension so you can see the full effects of what religions do after every religion has been discovered, no slide bar or anything like that...off topic but whatever, i dont know how to alter things like that(user interface) so I don't presume to try.
I'm surprised this still ISN'T fixed, really. Kinda annoying for those who want to see that info. And just plain ugly UI-wise on principle.

The xml file folder is fairly self explanatory as far as buildings are concerned but I think the magic of them being created and destroyed on reaching particular property thresholds happens in the property xml files IIRC. The XML is quite easy to study and replicate I believe but maybe someone with a bit more time for giving instruction could help more thoroughly.
Thanks! I don’t think I’ll need more guidance than that. I can just look in the files for more info.

On my next game of c2c I’ll try out some autobuilds for negative crime and disease and let you know how it plays out.
It’ll take a while ’til I test though since my current game is still going strong.

ya i learned very basic stuff in high school but it didnt stick well and I didn't pay much attention. I learn more just from trial and error with the xml's, how some refer back to another and the like.

Top Bottom