1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Setzertrancer

Setzertrancer Chieftain

Oh wow, I reach the 'Metals' currency civil and suddenly I go from 0% science, 0 gold per turn to 90% science, 0 gold per turn. Looks like my civ is back on track.

2. Daedwartin

Daedwartin Emperor

Hyrdo has already gotten a world to that point before...his rome game. turns out, one of the three superpowers becoming a industrial era civ isnt good for the planet when they have a large amount of cities.

3. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

In the BUG options (click on the bug in the top left), on the C2C tab, there's an option called Flexible Difficulty. I believe you can turn it on mid-game, and then reset your difficulty level to whatever you like.

I started my game on Warlord, but with Increasing Difficulty I've played most of it on Monarch, and am now up to Emperor (4th century AD). Normally I think of Noble as my level, but my play does improve over time :)D). My food, gold and production are nothing special (3rd or 4th), but in Score, Power, Culture, Espionage and Tech I'm in the lead (9 AI civs, but one is a one-city rev-result, and I've capped one). I'm still finding it quite challenging to know when I can safely declare war without getting steamrolled, so it's far from boring...

Also, this is a fairly snaky map and I only have two neighbours. Also it is large - there is one AI (two including the one-city one) whose territory I haven't seen yet, despite some intrepid exploring. (I have contact with them all through Advanced Diplomacy - I haven't seen their units either).

4. JJOne

JJOne Prince

You have done them, you tell me why. :crazyeye: As I said, I play V28, not SVN. I see they spawn always over workers, perhaps it depends on how many workers you have? I've got domination on GEM, and I seem to get one every five turns or so. However the medieval ones are useless for worker protection, asassins eat them for breakfast, and they can't even hold their own against promoted bandit footpads. Since my vassals keep pillaging my workers with every pirate unit they get, I collect them in the capital, and I use heavy axemen for worker protection.
    The crusaders could come more often, I've got two in about 300 years, but I imagine myself in a game where the AI had built the crusade and then again am thankfull that they don't come every other turn. :D

5. Il Principe

Il Principe Prince

Asto boring: did you check your BUG options? Not only is there flexible difilculty (which I for one don´t use) buta lot of other interestign stuff, like theadvanced spies, the terrain damage, the archer bombardment, expanded air missions and so on.

6. jiallombardo

jiallombardo Warlord

Greetings!

Just updated to version 28 (slowpoke, yeah). Gotta say, that the problem with the Biodome (i.e. the cycle which breaks on the first city and thus if this wonder isn't built in the capital, nothing is gonna get spawned) got copy-pasted to Kentucky Derby (though the idea with horse spawning is great :) ) along with the description (the one that says: "A baby Horse was born in the Biodome").

Also I had a quick question - there seem to be a lot of movies to different wonders; however, in game I am only able to view a small fraction of them (like the Shrine of Bab, the Golden Covenant and the National Archives). Is that a codec issue, or something else?

And another quick question - the wonder "Ellis Island" constructs only European Native Cultural buildings? So it's completely useless for European Civs ?

Thanks, and thanks again for the great mod :)

7. JJOne

JJOne Prince

I'm not the bored guy, but is anywhere mentioned what they do, and what should be chosen? I found my first game not boring, but frustrating, since I didn't know that checking "multiple production" is a must. Building thousands of one turn buildings and the list getting always larger was frustrating. In my current second game I regret not choosing the options regarding traits introduced with V28 - I guess I read too late about them.

8. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Most definitely what you "Less" choose if going to be LESS appealing, IMPO.
    Here is what i use, but if you really want a game that has alot of fighting, choose Aggressive and Ruthless Barbs/AI.
    And play WITH Barb Civ ON also.

Be-careful how you choose your TRAITs, its important ingame.

After v29 comes OUT, you will really have to pay attention to the NEW AI, they are WAY more confident and aggressive and willing to take a risk, and will trample you to a pulp.

9. JJOne

JJOne Prince

What does "scale city limits" do?
    No Revolutions?

10. Maxima7

Maxima7 Warlord

I don't think I remember this, but why are the barbarians advancing in tech as you advance? All of a sudden barbarian destroyers pop out of nowhere.

11. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Yes, a fix for that is in the beta (SVN) version. It is actually if the Biodome is not in your first city that the problem occurs.

I a not sure why the movies are not all playing. I am not even sure where to start looking but I agree it needs fixing.

12. Il Principe

Il Principe Prince

No Revolutions doeswhat it says: it turnsrevolutions off. The whole mechnic behind it actually.
    Scale city limits adjusts the citylimits from civics ( giving extra :mad: if you have too many) according to map size.

13. Setzertrancer

Setzertrancer Chieftain

Okay i'm up to the Classical era now and something is really bothering me. The amount of buildings is ridiculous. It's turning into a grind having to keep picking buildings to build and I often can't be bothered thinking much about it anymore. Is there some way to automate this.

Also, I am becoming ridiculously rich I get about 100 gold a turn with 100% science. I haven't even got senate yet, so it's of no use and by the time I do, the game it going to be too easy as I start being about to hurry the production of everything for a long time.

Also the Maori declared war on me and all he does is occassionally attack me with a horseman, 1 horseman, he's not even smart enough to stack some up and attack with all at once and he only attacks me once every 10 turns.

The game is starting to feel a bit imbalanced at this point. RoM was a lot more challenging, for one thing I needed to fight hard to earn top place and when someone declared war on me, it was genuinely scary. Also unless I managed to found a religion and build the special temple in the holy city, or focus on the economic tech line, I could rarely ever have 100% science with a profit.

I'm gonna keep playing and report how the medieval age turns out for me.

Oh and one more thing, Shamans don't have auto-religion spread, so I have to manually direct them to cities.

14. Daedwartin

Daedwartin Emperor

Go into BUG and turn flexible difficulty on. It will modify every stat it can, in game as your playing, to keep it challenging, but not crushing.

15. Baskedyt

Baskedyt Concerned citizen

I must say that the 100%:science: issue has been delt with in ver 28!

I currently have reached early ancient era (turn 573) and are running at 60% :science:/-8:gold: per turn, but at one point I was at 0%:science::eek:! And still running a 10:gold: deficit! I had to sell units, and was forced to raized neighboring city in order to get :gold: to cover the deficit.

I had 5 cities (all but the capital was size 1-2) at the time and the civics was; Chiefdom, Obedience, Strongman, Tribal, Slavery, Banditry, Folklore, Survival, Garbage Anywhere, No Borders, Oral Tradition, Native Lan, No Agr, No Currency. All in all a -50%:gold:, a +290% maint for dist to palace and +315% maint for number of cities.
    I play Snail/Pre/Large PW2f/Deity (started at Immortal)/Rev ON

I can only say: Way to GO :goodjob:

16. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

Thanks for explaining. The mouseover text might clear it up, but I do think that wording is confusing. "City limits" sounds like something about the size of the BFC! :crazyeye:

Wouldn't "Civic City Count Limits" (or something like that) be better?

17. zonk

zonk Prince

Running v28 on a gigantic world, eternity speed with flexible difficulty (I just entered monarch) --

Due to starting out ridiculously easy - I sprinted out to a very early lead and got to rafts well ahead of everyone... Not that I need them at this point - but every. single. unexplored. island I pop (and I think I've done about 15 so far) has yielded hostile natives.

Is this by design - since I'm lapping everyone else? Or because I got this technologically advanced ahead of everyone else? Or - do I need to do something like load a scout into the raft (I don't see any seacraft that have any of the Scout-ish pluses for goody huts).

This was my first game in v28- intended really as playthrough - so I don't particularly care about getting anything from the huts (I could use the money, as I'm still running deficits even at 0 science, but I've gotten down to a point where I can at least stay solvent) -- I'm just wondering if there's something that's changed with the goody islands that's caused them to be nothing but bad news canoes!

18. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Goody Islands use the same mechanic as goody huts the code associated with it just turns barbarian land units int sea units if you get hostile natives. You have just been having bad luck. I a doing some work on changing some of the other results too so that if you get a land unit it will be replaced by a navy unit instead but that is going slowly.

19. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

That mechanic sometimes leads to land units spawning in the middle of the ocean, which is rather annoying. They should be changed to give rafts/canoes if you are at sea.

20. Il Principe

Il Principe Prince

Yeah you got bad luck. I once had 3 in a row drop techs(was tech second at that time).