Caveman 2 Cosmos

update... i have error when unzip the file.... also with the 7zip... i have most file and folder with 0 byte....

update... i have error when unzip the file.... also with the 7zip... i have most file and folder with 0 byte....

if 0 is in folder, then yes the download was bad, should be around 1GB when zipped and 2.5 when unzipped.

But you still need to do an update if you haven't otherwise all BtS modmods wont work.

.... now i have unzipped the good file (2.5 gb) but i load the mod and.... when start the game the mod dont' work ( i don't see the option at the start of the game )......

eureka!!! Now workks....but some text are missing... i see for most tech or unity only "."

Where I can see v28 changelog?
BTW is chieftain level good for relaxed play in prehistoric era? I actually never played full-length games with AIs in Civ4 RoM or other big mods.
I tried to play on Warlord, but AI still seemed to get First To Research bonus, even though I beelined, so I had to use autosave and run on Settler difficulty to get these techs.

I have automatic saving every turn, so if I get hit by bad event I load game turn before it.
It seems to give me MAFs and/or CTDs, when I use it a lot.

I don't think this game gets any more "relaxed" than Settler with reloads...:rolleyes:

What tech reveals marble? It says hard-hammer does, but I have long had that tech and world builder shows marble right next to my city... yet I cannot see it during the gameplay. Do I need Masonry?

But Settler is for complete newbies... :p

...and reloads are arguably cheating (well they are - no argument really)

You said you needed to play at Settler and weren't getting a "relaxed" enough game. If that's the case, this isn't the game for you.

Do you think there might be a few easy/relaxed things you could learn, that would then make Warlord or even Noble and above enjoyable for you? If so, check out the "Strategy and Tips" sub-forum. If you can't find your question(s) answered there in a reasonable timeframe, ask it/them in a relevant thread (or start your own).

Obviously, not getting a First To Research bonus is not the end of the world. I don't think I've ever got (or seen the player get - in Let's Plays etc.) the first-to-Gathering bonus in Single-Player (and I started on Warlord too). No big deal - I don't feel cheated. It could be because their leader's traits give them bonuses to reach that tech first. I can assure you that, below Noble, they are not getting 'handicap' bonuses that keep them teching ahead of you. I'm coming up on 1000AD now, and I've had at least two bonus Great Doctors and a free tech - so it is possible, if only eventually. And I'm up to Immortal diff (modified Increasing Difficulty option) at present.

Where I can see v28 changelog?

There isn't one. After writing one for v27 I nearly left the mod for good, so I was not doing one for v28.

You can make Tortoise compile a list of all commit logs since a specific revision, and then post that as a complete changelog. To do that right-click the SVN folder and in the Tortoise context menu select "Show Log". In that window set the first revision to the last release (for V28 the revision was 4681) and the last revision to the current one, and then it will make a gigantic list for you.

You can make Tortoise compile a list of all commit logs since a specific revision, and then post that as a complete changelog. To do that right-click the SVN folder and in the Tortoise context menu select "Show Log". In that window set the first revision to the last release (for V28 the revision was 4681) and the last revision to the current one, and then it will make a gigantic list for you.

That was what I used as the basis for the v27 change log.

Might be getting a new computer soon, so saving my scenario here.

Attachments

• EuropeAfricaStart.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    945.1 KB · Views: 35
BTW is chieftain level good for relaxed play in prehistoric era? ... I tried to play on Warlord, but AI still seemed to get First To Research bonus, even though I beelined, so I had to use autosave and run on Settler difficulty to get these techs.

You may have just had a bad start. The terrain around you can influence things quite a lot. Perhaps try starting a new game, perhaps with a different mapscript.

For a 'relaxed' game, do not use 'Barb World', 'Aggressive AI', or 'Raging Barbs'. You might want to have fewer AIs than the map size recommends as then there will be more time pass before you meet one (probably). Do not turn off Barbarians entirely as doing that makes Prehistoric nearly, if not actually, unplayable as it turns off Animals as well. Do bee-line for Chasers, Trackers, etc, and set them to auto-hunt if you don't want to control them.

As others have said, having the AI get to a few techs before you do is not the end of the game, especially in the prehistoric era. You will likely pass them up in Ancient or at any rate in Classical. Personally, I'd find that reloading a lot would make for a more stressful game. Relax a bit, and let things happen as they happen. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

You may have just had a bad start. The terrain around you can influence things quite a lot. Perhaps try starting a new game, perhaps with a different mapscript.

For a 'relaxed' game, do not use 'Barb World', 'Aggressive AI', or 'Raging Barbs'. You might want to have fewer AIs than the map size recommends as then there will be more time pass before you meet one (probably). Do not turn off Barbarians entirely as doing that makes Prehistoric nearly, if not actually, unplayable as it turns off Animals as well. Do bee-line for Chasers, Trackers, etc, and set them to auto-hunt if you don't want to control them.

As others have said, having the AI get to a few techs before you do is not the end of the game, especially in the prehistoric era. You will likely pass them up in Ancient or at any rate in Classical. Personally, I'd find that reloading a lot would make for a more stressful game. Relax a bit, and let things happen as they happen. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

The very problem with this game is that it expects you to play the Roman way... forcing your own way. This means you make a b-line for Tribalism, then Chiefdom, then go for Agriculture and Archery (so you can defend cities with basically 1 unit). If you don't, the AI will. They will build a city, and one of those cites will build another city right away (like that would ever happen in real-life). I mean it is an obvious civilization aware that it is in a game, and this is what they need to do. Then there are the ones that wait too long to get tribalism. They have no chance. The ones that have 8 cities have the technology to keep those cities, build all the wonders, and run the game. So it is straight ahead, like Dragon's Lair arcade... follow the path that works. Of course the Romans didn't have much fun living like they did I imagine.

The Greeks probably did, but how can you have 1 city like Athens become a power here? 1 city wont get you the techs you need to compete. You had better hurry and start building them like mad, build those money buildings so you can afford all those cities, and make sure you get the buildings you need instead of what you would really build in real-life.

I have played this game two ways many times. Self-aware like it is a game, and I am in the lead every time. Doing what they would in real life and I have the lead up until one civ gets Tribalism, then they get the lead... and there is no chance. So if you want to win, it is like just follow the directions.

The very problem with this game is that it expects you to play the Roman way... forcing your own way. This means you make a b-line for Tribalism, then Chiefdom, then go for Agriculture and Archery (so you can defend cities with basically 1 unit). If you don't, the AI will. They will build a city, and one of those cites will build another city right away (like that would ever happen in real-life). I mean it is an obvious civilization aware that it is in a game, and this is what they need to do. Then there are the ones that wait too long to get tribalism. They have no chance. The ones that have 8 cities have the technology to keep those cities, build all the wonders, and run the game. So it is straight ahead, like Dragon's Lair arcade... follow the path that works. Of course the Romans didn't have much fun living like they did I imagine.

The Greeks probably did, but how can you have 1 city like Athens become a power here? 1 city wont get you the techs you need to compete. You had better hurry and start building them like mad, build those money buildings so you can afford all those cities, and make sure you get the buildings you need instead of what you would really build in real-life.

I have played this game two ways many times. Self-aware like it is a game, and I am in the lead every time. Doing what they would in real life and I have the lead up until one civ gets Tribalism, then they get the lead... and there is no chance. So if you want to win, it is like just follow the directions.
Interesting assessment which sadly I agree with usually. I'm thinking our expanding complexity will give us an out to this factor, and a number of projects on the plate could alter this kind of outlook. It is worthy of note that most real world civs didn't try to charge ahead of, outdevelop, and outproduce their contemporaries... not all people value exceeding others as western culture does. I'm not sure what the 'fix' is to the game design, but I'm aware of the problem and continue to consider ways to improve that issue.

...and reloads are arguably cheating (well they are - no argument really)

You said you needed to play at Settler and weren't getting a "relaxed" enough game. If that's the case, this isn't the game for you.

Do you think there might be a few easy/relaxed things you could learn, that would then make Warlord or even Noble and above enjoyable for you? If so, check out the "Strategy and Tips" sub-forum. If you can't find your question(s) answered there in a reasonable timeframe, ask it/them in a relevant thread (or start your own).

Obviously, not getting a First To Research bonus is not the end of the world. I don't think I've ever got (or seen the player get - in Let's Plays etc.) the first-to-Gathering bonus in Single-Player (and I started on Warlord too). No big deal - I don't feel cheated. It could be because their leader's traits give them bonuses to reach that tech first. I can assure you that, below Noble, they are not getting 'handicap' bonuses that keep them teching ahead of you. I'm coming up on 1000AD now, and I've had at least two bonus Great Doctors and a free tech - so it is possible, if only eventually. And I'm up to Immortal diff (modified Increasing Difficulty option) at present.
Ehhh either I failed at typing or you at reading... :crazyeye:
I find game at Warlord actually relaxing, and I even managed reach gathering tech first ;)
I just like getting all bonuses and wonders ;)
Settler was only "fallback" difficulty, if someone reached "first to research bonus" tech or built a wonder after reloading game.
I play with no traits at start and developing traits.
So I could play on Chieftain in Prehistoric era, Warlord on Acient and Noble for remaining game (or even Prince if I goo too fast in later game :p).
So relaxing game is when I can grab wonders and "FTR" bonuses with relative ease.

I didn't used any of these options.
I play on slightly modified GEM (each civ is located at ocean, lush+floodplains on Capitals square) with 5 AIs.
My Civ is America on New World.
AIs are: Germany (Europe), Zulu (Africa) Arabia (Middle East), China (Asia) and Australia (Oceania).
So basically my game would be Revenge of Indians :p
Sadly I found that I can't swim to other civs until I research Astronomy.
What wonder gives me contact with every other civ?

I actually try to play Rome way, - I ran for Tribalism as fast as I could, but maintenance costs didn't allowed me to expand too fast - I had only 4 cities when reached Ancient era.
How many cities on GEM at beginning of Ancient era is normal?
4? 5?

Interesting assessment which sadly I agree with usually. I'm thinking our expanding complexity will give us an out to this factor, and a number of projects on the plate could alter this kind of outlook. It is worthy of note that most real world civs didn't try to charge ahead of, outdevelop, and outproduce their contemporaries... not all people value exceeding others as western culture does. I'm not sure what the 'fix' is to the game design, but I'm aware of the problem and continue to consider ways to improve that issue.
So its nature of this mod, that is "forcing" to expand?
I still want that wonder, which gives production to sea tiles ;)

Top Bottom