Caveman 2 Cosmos

What in the heck did you guys do? I am finding the cursor very sluggish. Sometimes I actually have to fight it to get it to move where I want. I am having to click on some things three or four times to it to actually take effect. I am not using Viewports. Computer information given below:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name GAMERCENTRAL
System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
System Model BK170AA-ABA HPE-210y
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 5.09, 1/22/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name GamerCentral\Robert Glaub
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 11.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 32.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 25.8 GB
Page File Space 16.0 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

If you've not played C2C in a long time you might simply be experiencing the side effect of the new graphics paging mechanism which has reduced MAFs by a LOT and has basically obsoleted the need for multi-maps. There's a slight annoyance in play when panning around the map as it needs to graphically load up and unload improvements and terrains and such as it goes but the benefit is tremendous for overall gameplay.

That said... DH said there COULD be something he did but then he did just 'fix' that and update that to the SVN.

How do I get info on units? When I hover over them, it says to press shift, ctrl, or alt but it doesn't do anything.

What in the heck did you guys do? I am finding the cursor very sluggish. Sometimes I actually have to fight it to get it to move where I want. I am having to click on some things three or four times to it to actually take effect. I am not using Viewports. Computer information given below:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name GAMERCENTRAL
System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
System Model BK170AA-ABA HPE-210y
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 5.09, 1/22/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name GamerCentral\Robert Glaub
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 11.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 32.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 25.8 GB
Page File Space 16.0 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I had the excact same problem some time ago. It wasn't caused by the mod, it just happened over night and I changed nothing. Deinstall and reinstall civ 4 worked for me.

Whats the best generator and optimum number of civs to use with immense?

None, i recommend nothing higher than Giant. 7 Civs.

My 2c:
I think SO's advice is for if you want to get through to say the Modern Era. The larger sizes are for people who don't expect to get too far through the timeline...

Limiting yourself to 7 civs seems to be appropriate only to a very specific playstyle imo. The default number of civs for your size is probably best. If you add more, you might be lucky, but don't say we didn't warn you. :p And less than the default may also be worth a try, especially with Rev and Barb Civs.

I know very little about generators but I have heard that larger sizes and PerfectWorld don't mix.

"We are worried about our rivals being vassals within your empire" seems to be giving a massive bonus to diplomacy. +9 or 10. Seems a bit odd.

that's not a civic. i have a holy city and others have religions but on the religions scree it says i cant convert same with the last game. i only got one then when an ai asked me to convert.

He meant Divine Cult. Also consider that you can't convert to a religion none of your cities have. I wonder though about that last point you made and what a number of other factors may have been there.

None, i recommend nothing higher than Giant. 7 Civs.
I'm reading this recommendation for the second time now. It makes me wonder what is are the approximated system requirements for this recommendation? Also what is the main limiting factor playing C2C in game for a reasonable game speed?
Is it the number of cities, units, or something like that? Does the game speed factor in this equation (e.g. because longer games = more units and building)? And how does this relate to my system capacity?
E.g. if I have fairly modern CPU or more than average RAM capacity when would it be feasible to choose gigantic map size or more than 7 Civs or both?

It would be nice to have some kind of benchmark for different PC types possibly on the first site for this. I remember I could play on gigantic with up to 29 civilizations and <30 sec. per round at the end of the medieval age. The main limiting factor where CTDs due to a graphic bug (which I read is fixed in the current version). However it seems to me that the round times are considerably longer now.

Also another question is the maximum number of civilization somehow limited? For some reason there never seems to be more than 32? civs at any given time on my current map, even though there are some barbaric could develop into civs (the option is enabled).

He meant Divine Cult. Also consider that you can't convert to a religion none of your cities have. I wonder though about that last point you made and what a number of other factors may have been there.

i founded it in my capital with a great prophet and when i did Greece immediately converted. this also happened before with three outer civs. one founds it the outer two converted and this was way before divine cult.

I'm reading this recommendation for the second time now. It makes me wonder what is are the approximated system requirements for this recommendation? Also what is the main limiting factor playing C2C in game for a reasonable game speed?
Is it the number of cities, units, or something like that? Does the game speed factor in this equation (e.g. because longer games = more units and building)? And how does this relate to my system capacity?
E.g. if I have fairly modern CPU or more than average RAM capacity when would it be feasible to choose gigantic map size or more than 7 Civs or both?

It would be nice to have some kind of benchmark for different PC types possibly on the first site for this. I remember I could play on gigantic with up to 29 civilizations and <30 sec. per round at the end of the medieval age. The main limiting factor where CTDs due to a graphic bug (which I read is fixed in the current version). However it seems to me that the round times are considerably longer now.

Also another question is the maximum number of civilization somehow limited? For some reason there never seems to be more than 32? civs at any given time on my current map, even though there are some barbaric could develop into civs (the option is enabled).

There are some problems when playing with alot Civ's on a very large mapsize. In later Era's the turn times get very long and at some point you get CTD's or MAF's because the bts.exe runs out of memory. The memory situation has improved but with 2-2.2gb Ram used by the game those errors start. This is at least how it is happening on my System with 16gb Ram and 3gb VRam. The Turn Times have increased a bit because it is easy to add new content but very hard to optimize the dll. Civ4 is an old game it just can't use everything modern hardware has to offer.

There are some problems when playing with alot Civ's on a very large mapsize. In later Era's the turn times get very long and at some point you get CTD's or MAF's because the bts.exe runs out of memory. The memory situation has improved but with 2-2.2gb Ram used by the game those errors start. This is at least how it is happening on my System with 16gb Ram and 3gb VRam. The Turn Times have increased a bit because it is easy to add new content but very hard to optimize the dll. Civ4 is an old game it just can't use everything modern hardware has to offer.

Excellent points.;)

With regard to the turn times, how long is very long? And you're talking about non-repeatable CTDs/MAFs right? So how often do they happen?

I ask because I am less concerned than most with these things. Perhaps there are others for whom 10-minute turn times and a non-repeatable crash every two or three turns would be tolerable. But if turn times are over an hour or crashes are every 10 minutes, even I might give up.

Top Bottom