Caveman 2 Cosmos

I had a portrait of the organizer for Israel pop up,
and once I had control of him, I selected the yellow flag upgrade
to turn him into a leader. When I moussed over him afterwards,
he had 5 "uses" left. He did start out as a great general. Is there some
place I can find more information about this?

There isn't much to know. It has pretty much been mentioned already, but here it is in detail:

The commander (Great Commander, or Field Commander) unit has control points, which start at 5. He also has a command range, which starts at 1. Every time a unit of yours within his command range attacks another unit and wins he gets XP, up to a maximum number of units per turn equal to his control points. Likewise he gets XP when the nearby units win while defending. Using those XP he can get promotions. These promotions have a special property: they apply to every unit within his command range. So that first promotion he gets, Morale I (as I recall, there is no other choice, this is the only one initially available), gives +5% combat strength to every unit within the command radius (which is 1, so all units int he same plot or in an adjacent plot). More or less, since it only applies to the first 5 (the default number of control points, it can be increased by promotion later) attacks done in a turn. I think it applies to all defensive combats without limit during your enemies' turns but I am not sure of that.

So it is basically earning extra promotions which are applied to nearby units, making them stronger. This increases the rate at which your units get stronger from promotions since they both get their own promotions' effects and the effects from the commander's promotions all from the actions that get your units some XP. The effect can be quite large - that first +5% strength promotion is probably the weakest one until you get to the ones that add control points and things like that, for example the Morale 2 promotions is +10% combat strength and Tactics I gives a +15% withdrawal chance. If the commander has all 5 Morale promotions it gives +50% strength and some other benefits.

The number of XP that the commander needs to get promotions appears to be 50% more than a normal unit needs, but they add up pretty quickly since they can get XP from multiple combats in a turn.

I really hope v35 is more stable than v34. v34 was simply too unstable for me to run for any real period of time even to the point that getting into the Ancient Age was difficult because the game would just crash multiple times after approximately reaching late Prehistoric. And I know that my PC isn't the newest thing out but I was running prior versions fine up until late Medieval (and managed to carry one up to mid Industrial fine, without too many crashes) with similar settings.

Regardless, looking forward to the next version when it may be released.

v35 will be much more stable thanks to mod size reduction and performance optimizations.
(Big thanks to Alberts2 and Sparth).

I think that for v35 we must wait aprox 1 month or 1,5 month

after democracy, 2 turns before next research, the game crashes to desktop. No error message, no dump file.

I try different ways to come over that border, but it is always same. When I click for next turn, it works long as usual, and then, when it should be ready with calculation and the next popup with a leader or another message should come, then it crashes.

sav size 12.231 KB, game memory load ~2GB only at that time (running on Win7/64)
So I believe it cannot be a RAM problem or something like this, it is a problem of an xml or other point, maybe start new faction and cannot find the right file, after revolution or such.

I can upload the sav I made just before click turn end, but the sav compressed in a 7z is 10.5 MB big.

See no way to continue.

:eek:

btw: in former C2C version (year ago) I had a similar problem: it freezed always if I finished in same turn the Great Wonder Supreme Court and the Reseaarch of Divine Law.

CTDs are generally common in mods all in all. We, however, are very quick to try to resolve them as they are the cockroaches that must be killed above all other efforts.

Please post the savegame where the turn crashes with the next end turn sequence with what you just said in the Bugs and Crashes main thread in the bugs and crashes subforum. It will allow us to determine the source of the problem (in most cases but if it can't it at least narrows the field.)

Also... please denote whether you are playing on v34 release version or from an updated SVN version.

And be aware that if you want to be able to play through that spot you'll need to be ready to get the fix from the SVN (or wait til the next release) once it's available. So if you're not playing an SVN download version you'll want to start looking at getting that setup for yourself. If you're playing stock v34, the bug may have already been found and fixed and an SVN updated version may already be able to fix it.

Thanks for the report!

So I just gained a vassal, and now another civ is happy with me for it? I'm getting +11 because "we are worried about our rivals being your vassals." Is that a new change?

Also, in the Victory Conditions screen, it's showing my rivals as the civ with the lowest score, not the highest.

Ok, definite bug.I'm now getting +1674 from EVERY Civ because they're worried about their rivals being my vassals!!!

Please post bugs in the bugs and crashes thread.

I've interacted with diplomacy modifiers before but I've not interacted with any vassal factors. I might get a chance to look into it at some point.

Ok, definite bug.I'm now getting +1674 from EVERY Civ because they're worried about their rivals being my vassals!!!
Looks like an overflow error. More and more of these seem to crop up since v34 (flammability, tile yield, AI relations...), Might there be a general issue with memory management ?

Looks like an overflow error. More and more of these seem to crop up since v34 (flammability, tile yield, AI relations...), Might there be a general issue with memory management ?

I doubt it has anything to do with an overflow. It sounds more like the code is applying the attitude adjustment to all nations rather than just the new vassal. Probably the same bit of code that causes you to declare war on everyone if you create a new colony.

Has the commander option of Great Generals changed in v34? This commander has over 34 Experience and I'm still not given any option for promotion. This a bug or is there some prerequisite tech needed for these promotions now? I had Great Commanders checked in options.

Has the commander option of Great Generals changed in v34? This commander has over 34 Experience and I'm still not given any option for promotion. This a bug or is there some prerequisite tech needed for these promotions now? I had Great Commanders checked in options.

I have had this happen to me also, lately, all you need to do is, save the game, stop, then re-start your game, and the promotions should start back to normal, i dont know what is going on with them lately :crazyeye:

I have had this happen to me also, lately, all you need to do is, save the game, stop, then re-start your game, and the promotions should start back to normal, i dont know what is going on with them lately :crazyeye:

The best I can figure it has something to do with the caching of Great Commanders for the sake of turn times. GCs, like all other units, should at least hit the 'isPromotionReady' check at the beginning of their turns but somehow they don't which is VERY mysterious in and of itself.

This is one last little issue I have been wanting to look into further (again - I've tried to debug this once before and just got very confused by how the GC is passing up a generic check all units receive every single round) but haven't yet and may be able to by the time we release if we've got another week before that happens.

Hi,

I've been playing C2C in hotseat with a friend regularly since v19 or something (clocking in well over 10 hours per week) and one thing that I've found problematic is the possibility to abuse religions.

As it is now there's basically no downside to having as many religions as possible since all but the most ancient ones provides % buildings.

every non-prehistoric religions gives you access to monastery and most to cathedrals as well. Monasteries providing at a minimum 10% research and cathedrals providing at a minimum 50% research means that the science at cultural outputs of cities are skyrocketing.

I know that the revolutions part should punish you for having multiple religions but that hasn't worked for quite a while.

As it is now a city gets insane amounts of % modifiers which imho breaks the game.

Couldn't it be changed so that only monasteries of the state religion gives the benefits or something similar since it rather strange that a city of size 10 for example can get full benefits from something like 10 different monasteries.

Also wouldn't it be possible to change all these % modifiers to be number modifiers instead so that the game (imho) would be easier to balance. A % modifier is really unpredictable in the long run.

I also find it strange that the science bonus of a monastery never goes out of time, I find it hard to believe that monasteries provides research bonus in the modern times f.ex. (at least in the secular western world).

Oh, and thanks for a great mod by the way. I bought a monster PC for when D3 was to be released, and all I use it for basically is C2C.

Best Regards
Jon

Top Bottom