Caveman 2 Cosmos

So in other words I can play only so far with the Amazons, but no longer? I did notice right at the beginning that there were some audio files missing for the female counterparts.

So in other words I can play only so far with the Amazons, but no longer? I did notice right at the beginning that there were some audio files missing for the female counterparts.

Try downloading SVN again.

The Amazons are set to 1 in the latest MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml (SVN 7244) so should work.

The files are in the Custom_Civs folder, its the above file that loads them.

Are you sure it is not an AI civ that is causing the problem?

Meh... didn't bother to keep a copy. I don't mind restarting but I do mind keeping a file set that differs from the core SVN.

When some civs were removed all I did was add an entry to MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml

i.e.
<Module>
<Directory>Philippines</Directory>
<bLoad>1</bLoad>
</Module>

The necessary files are still (at the moment) in the Custom_Civs folder.

Another problem might also be that the Amazon Civ may be using Art work from another Civ that has also been removed. You need to check the Error messages that are displayed, when the load fails.

e.g. Maori tribe uses art from Polonesia tribe.

Try downloading SVN again.

The Amazons are set to 1 in the latest MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml (SVN 7244) so should work.

The files are in the Custom_Civs folder, its the above file that loads them.

When some civs were removed all I did was add an entry to MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml

i.e. <Module>
<Directory>Philippines</Directory>
<bLoad>1</bLoad>
</Module>

The necessary files are still (at the moment) in the Custom_Civs folder.

Another problem might also be that the Amazon Civ may be using Art work from another Civ that has also been removed. You need to check the Error messages that are displayed, when the load fails.

i.e. Maori tribe uses art from Polonesia tribe.
Just checked the MLF and they're all set on. The error I'm still getting is very non-descript stating Missing Art Reference "". It sounds like a missing tag and from the code it appears to be a missing Flag reference but it also makes it look as if the reference that's missing is for the Americans and the American civ has a valid flag reference where the file is correctly located in the FPK package soooooo.... very odd at this point. Still can't open those saves to debug them.

Just checked the MLF and they're all set on. The error I'm still getting is very non-descript stating Missing Art Reference "". It sounds like a missing tag and from the code it appears to be a missing Flag reference but it also makes it look as if the reference that's missing is for the Americans and the American civ has a valid flag reference where the file is correctly located in the FPK package soooooo.... very odd at this point. Still can't open those saves to debug them.

Thats why i need alberts2 back to fix this kind of stuff, he was the one that made a reference in the dll about the art stuff so it would come back as an error message.

Just (re)bought Civ IV Complete for the specific purpose of playing C2C.

Any chance of a guide to getting it to work? I don't know what a registry key is and the link at the download page evidently is missing some screenshots it used to have.

Thanks.

You should just need to unzip the file into the Mods folder. Run Civ and then go advanced and load a mod. caveman2Cosmos should be in the list.

Unless Civ IV Complete also needs patching to version 3.19 first - you need to download and install the patch yourself as the in game one does not work.

Someone should possibly point out somewhere that 7-zip is needed to extract the files from the archive. With those added options to reduce the size not all archive read and extraction programs can extract the files successfully.

Cheers

Part of an article about Sid Meier's view on Civ.

Civilization doesn&#8217;t have slaves, and some have criticized the game for that glaring historical omission. It&#8217;s a common trend in Meier&#8217;s works: although they cover history, they tend to omit the nastier parts. That's just how Sid Meier makes games. It's been that way from Civilization to SimGolf to any of the games he's worked on in the two decades since.

&#8220;There's a conflict between an emotionally-charged topic and kinda giving the player this freedom of choice that really makes the game good,&#8221; he said. &#8220;One of the things we really try to avoid in our games is this kind of&#8212;&#8217;this choice would be the right thing to do, but this choice is gonna help me win the game&#8217;&#8212;put the players in those kind of moral dilemmas. That's not what our games are about. We want you to feel good about yourself when you finish the game.&#8221;

Full article can be read here: http://kotaku.com/the-father-of-civilization-584568276

Really good read.

JosEPh

I updated the SVN earlier last week and I can no longer use Canada and there are some other tribes missing. I suppose they were taken out for reconstruction or is it permanent?? If so how can I manually put it back in? I don't backup my svn but maybe I should before I update in the middle of a game.

Part of an article about Sid Meier's view on Civ.

Full article can be read here: http://kotaku.com/the-father-of-civilization-584568276

Really good read.

JosEPh

It's an interesting read for sure.

“Sid’s never had to write a design document, because instead of debating with you about some new feature he wants to implement, he’ll just go home and at night he’ll implement it,” Solomon said. “And then tomorrow when he comes in he’ll say, ‘Okay, now play this new feature.’ And you’ll play, and then you can have a real conversation about the game, instead of looking at some design document.”
I liked this bit... very much how I feel about things.

Somewhat disagree with
“He told me a phrase I use all the time,” said Solomon. “Feedback is fact. That's the way you have to look at feedback, as if it's a fact. You've worked on this massive system or this game, and they come in your office and they go, ‘I played it, and I was bored.’ The worst thing you could do as a designer is start to defend your design or argue with that person. What you do is accept what that person told you as a fact. They said they were bored, so guess what? Your game bored that person. And you need to figure out why that is.”
Reason being that from what I've seen here, no two people will agree on feedback. One person can be excited by something that turns another person off. And a designer that defends his work can often make points that cause a change of opinion in those giving feedback - this has been an experience for me as one giving feedback as well. Many times my initial impression of something is vastly different than my eventual one and given time and thought on a subject I may be able to see something more along the lines of what the designer had seen. So if a designer always reacts to all feedback (as if it's fact) he'll never get anything done because no matter what he does someone will disagree with it.

A designer SHOULD always take feedback into deep consideration however, and be willing to do his best to inquire further about the underlying messages in the feedback. Most people don't say what they mean right away because they don't even know what they mean until more thought takes place to bring the point to a head. Some 'discussion' which CAN be perceived as 'argument' can help to narrow in on what the real underlying issues may be and sometimes that is very different from what is initially perceived, even potentially by the one giving the feedback to start with. Only by acting on an understanding of the 'real' issue will a designer ever make meaningful progress.

And about this, which you pointed out:
“There's a conflict between an emotionally-charged topic and kinda giving the player this freedom of choice that really makes the game good,” he said. “One of the things we really try to avoid in our games is this kind of—’this choice would be the right thing to do, but this choice is gonna help me win the game’—put the players in those kind of moral dilemmas. That's not what our games are about. We want you to feel good about yourself when you finish the game.”
Why not? God has no such qualms and HIS game is pretty intense. In fact, one might say that's the primary topic matter of the game of life we all play, no? So why not allow inner conflict for the player to reflect the real human inner conflicts we all face daily? The real conflicts our species has been struggling with throughout its whole development? Shying away from these issues and muting their portrayal only serves to Disnefy the game and make it more acceptable for children who's parents still find it valuable to shelter them to the point that they're unfit to make wise decisions as adults... (I'm all too familiar with this effect as this is how I was raised and how I was deficient to navigate certain challenges with grace as a result.) The human story has quite often involved falling prey to less moral quality for the sake of the immediate benefits - and history teaches us that those who chose the 'better roads' often did fall behind and were eliminated in the grand display of survival of the fittest on the larger scale. The massive losses of life and society of the Native American people are testament to that. Kinda like Star Wars... the Dark Side IS more powerful - but eventually it corrupts and leads to rot so must be eventually cleansed from the soul. Why not allow the 'right' choices to be more challenging yet more satisfying for having been able to make and still succeed despite doing so?

Not that we seem to STRIVE to include these things but I can see a lot of benefit by their inclusion.

Somewhat disagree with

Reason being that from what I've seen here, no two people will agree on feedback. One person can be excited by something that turns another person off. And a designer that defends his work can often make points that cause a change of opinion in those giving feedback - this has been an experience for me as one giving feedback as well. Many times my initial impression of something is vastly different than my eventual one and given time and thought on a subject I may be able to see something more along the lines of what the designer had seen. So if a designer always reacts to all feedback (as if it's fact) he'll never get anything done because no matter what he does someone will disagree with it.

A designer SHOULD always take feedback into deep consideration however, and be willing to do his best to inquire further about the underlying messages in the feedback. Most people don't say what they mean right away because they don't even know what they mean until more thought takes place to bring the point to a head. Some 'discussion' which CAN be perceived as 'argument' can help to narrow in on what the real underlying issues may be and sometimes that is very different from what is initially perceived, even potentially by the one giving the feedback to start with. Only by acting on an understanding of the 'real' issue will a designer ever make meaningful progress.

I agree with you. Also some feedback is just trolling. But like most things in life such as a favorite color or food, everyone will have a different opinion on what they like and dislike. And when it comes down to it, it become what would the team like to do? Who is motivated to do what and that's ultimately what gets done. If someone is passionate about a part of the mod then I will get done. If not then it may sit there for awhile, even never get changed due to lack of motivation, skill or just dislike from those on the team. Not to mention people changing their mind in doing what they previously did not want to do or changing something they did do.

hi, i'm new here , i always come here for references since its an excellent page!. yestarday i tried to play this and it was impossible to me, i downloaded it, inzip with 7sip, and pasted into "\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS" , yet when i go to advanced and load the mod the game closes and nothing happens.

please help me, i've seen some vids and it looks awsome!! :D

When you ended up installing it was there an Assets folder in the Mods/Caveman2Cosmos folder or another Caveman2Cosmos folder? If the latter you need to move it up one level.

hi, i'm new here , i always come here for references since its an excellent page!. yesterday i tried to play this and it was impossible to me, i downloaded it, inzip with 7sip, and pasted into "\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS" , yet when i go to advanced and load the mod the game closes and nothing happens.

please help me, i've seen some vids and it looks awesome!! :D

thats the wrong folder. needs to be in the Programs/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Beyond the Sword/Mods folder

Isn't "\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\" where saves and the BTS ini files reside, and not where mods are supposed to be placed?
I think you need to find where CivIV is actually installed, and move the mod to there.
The exact path varies and depends on what you do when installing games and programs and if you used a third party to purchase the game or an original copy.

Cheers

As far as I know the bug with putting the mod in the My Games folder has been fixed. However we still recommend you don't put it there as things there can mess with other mods depending on your INI settings, so it is better safe than sorry.

Top Bottom