Caveman 2 Cosmos

My points been partially proven by the most recent SVN.

How is the AI benefiting so heavily that removing the techs is worthwhile?

@Toffer90 ,

Has Tech Diffusion for C2C been changed? Reason I ask is the TD is Only supposed to come into effect once you have Open Borders agreement. Is that restriction still there in the code? Or has it been remove? TD was not designed to come into effect "as soon as contact is made".

Now there was changes made in AND2 and since we ported TD from there perhaps the changes were already done when it got added to C2C. I know when I was part of the AND2 modding team 45* was working it over hard. Iirc wasn't Afforess the author of TD?

So back to my 1st point, if the OB agreement has to be in effect then No the player does not get a "huge infusion upon contact with the AI". But if that restriction was removed or replaced with say Right of Passage Treaty then it would disseminate faster. But still not as fast as "upon contact".

This needs checked out. Otherwise there is no need for a code rewrite for TD. And your assumption lacks foundation.

Tech diffusion is active without any RoP or OB in C2C, has been that way for years, probably inherited from AND as you mentioned.

The typical deity scenario was that the moment you met a rival civ you would research 3 times faster.

:science: 100% "plus-minus-buttons" ( 10 :science: + 20 TD )
TD is buggy at the beginning of the game because the percentage amount of techs you have compared to other players becomes quite big because so few techs are invented.

TD should imo be quite weak in the prehistoric era.

Last edited:
@Toffer90 ,

Has Tech Diffusion for C2C been changed? Reason I ask is the TD is Only supposed to come into effect once you have Open Borders agreement. Is that restriction still there in the code? Or has it been remove? TD was not designed to come into effect "as soon as contact is made".

Now there was changes made in AND2 and since we ported TD from there perhaps the changes were already done when it got added to C2C. I know when I was part of the AND2 modding team 45* was working it over hard. Iirc wasn't Afforess the author of TD?
TD has been adjusted by Koshling, Alberts2, possibly others. I haven't really touched it except to work WFL around it. But as long as I've seen it's code, I've not noticed any restriction to open borders. Some TD should be possible without but it should be based on espionage balance levels with the other nations IMO, with a strong bonus coming from Open Borders. Eventually. Just an opinion.

My points been partially proven by the most recent SVN.

How is the AI benefiting so heavily that removing the techs is worthwhile?
Techs weren't removed. AIs just aren't getting the benefit of starting with free known techs due to harder handicap settings as they were previously. This is a response to player requests to make the AI not jet ahead so quickly upfront but keep getting tougher in other ways as the game goes on. Balance improvements is all. Nothing that upsets an ongoing game.

We're nearing re-release here. I'm hearing mostly reports of health and stability and pleasing balance results. I've got bugs and other issues to address but nothing that interrupts the timing of a re-release soon. As long as this playtesting phase continues to go well and we're just involved in minor fixes and adjustments, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing re-release take place this weekend. It's after that point that I might advise to not update as often as you can. But if you want a 'clean' game, as you put it, I get that. Just wait til official re-release to start it. In the meantime, we can't get everything dialed in properly overnight. We had to take some drastic actions to set ourselves straight moving forward. I apologize for that... the pain of these kinds of adjustments is akin to having to reset a broken bone and all feel it. I feel we're healing nicely now.

My comment is that the AI may still require it. As of 9982, I was so far ahead of the AI on Deity by midancient, I was shocked. I'm now doing one on 10006.

Exactly how fair is it to expect us to start a new expeditive game every time the svn is updated? What the heck? That's bloody absurd. Theres been times when there's 10 updates in a day. And it takes a day sometimes to even GET to tribalism. Are we meant to not have jobs when we play this? Families? What about other hobbies? Or even the fact that updating mid save can change things enough to a point where we feel the rules habe changed far too much to get a good clean game going?

I mean really. Is that now the expectation For us players???

The svn version is the development version everything can happen there. That version should absolutely not be used by players unless they really want to play a development version.

I have no understanding for modder's telling people to use the svn version.

Running vanilla v38, I've gotten a run on Snail to over 47% game duration, I'm in the Information Age, and suddenly all overlays appear to have vanished - combat overlays and the money, date, time, etc. I figured this was something hotfixed out (it's happened before), so I got the latest SVN and did a copy-paste over the existing files. Problem is, apparently something about some of the buildings changed, and I get error messages before the mod even loads, and then when I try to recalculate the assets, the game crashes.

If the SVN breaks saves, I'll just use the vanilla files again - but does anyone have advice on the vanishing overlay issues? The game is unplayable as-is. Thanks.

Running vanilla v38, I've gotten a run on Snail to over 47% game duration, I'm in the Information Age, and suddenly all overlays appear to have vanished - combat overlays and the money, date, time, etc. I figured this was something hotfixed out (it's happened before), so I got the latest SVN and did a copy-paste over the existing files. Problem is, apparently something about some of the buildings changed, and I get error messages before the mod even loads, and then when I try to recalculate the assets, the game crashes.

If the SVN breaks saves, I'll just use the vanilla files again - but does anyone have advice on the vanishing overlay issues? The game is unplayable as-is. Thanks.
If this is your 1st update to your files since you installed v38 then yes there is something you should do. Clear the cache folder.

Cache folder is located in: C:\Users\"Username"\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache. Just delete the contents. Then reload the Mod and when the Re-Calc pop up appears click Yes (Ok) to let it reset the modifiers. After the Re-calc which can take several minutes the game should be good to go.

Be warned there is a New Game Speed system in place since v38 release. Your Snail game will have it's turns increased from 5000+ to 12,000. Also the "dates" will no longer coincide with the Era you are in. (This is just a graphical change to the Calendar.)

If an SVN Update will Break Saved games We will post in the SVN change log thread that this will happen. We do give warnings.

I also sometimes find that deleting the entire contents of the Caveman2Cosmos folder and replacing them with the SVN version, rather than copy-pasting, can solve some problems.

I also sometimes find that deleting the entire contents of the Caveman2Cosmos folder and replacing them with the SVN version, rather than copy-pasting, can solve some problems.
Copy and pasting is a bad idea as some files get deleted, as they are merged for example, and not deleting them in your copy will cause problems.

Thanks to both of you, the issue appears to be resolved. The vanishing overlay still exists, but I found out it goes away when era-specific colors are turned off in BUG.

• Removed the free techs to AI on higher difficulty, doesn't seem to be nessesarry with this initial boost anymore.
    • Tech diffusion doesn't work well with the free techs on gamestart, when the AI has 10 techs and the player has 2 then the player is effectively 80% behind in tech and gets an abnormal amount of tech diffusion the moment it makes contact with the AI players.
      • Tech diffusion code should be rewritten some at one point.
Toffer, can be free techs for player be removed too?
This makes already very easy (below Noble) handicaps even easier.

The svn version is the development version everything can happen there. That version should absolutely not be used by players unless they really want to play a development version.

I have no understanding for modder's telling people to use the svn version.
If you want to benefit from a bugfix without us having to upload a patch or you having to wait for the next release then it is necessary.

If we don't want to keep getting the same bugs reported then it helps to have most reporting players on the most current assets.

Maybe tech diffusion should be based on absolute difference rather than percentage?

Maybe tech diffusion should be based on absolute difference rather than percentage?
I think it should be completely disabled before you unlock Tribalism.
That is player/ai shouldn't benefit from it until they research Tribalism.

Toffer, can be free techs for player be removed too?
This makes already very easy (below Noble) handicaps even easier.
What free techs?
My comment is that the AI may still require it. As of 9982, I was so far ahead of the AI on Deity by midancient, I was shocked. I'm now doing one on 10006.
What game options do you use?

What free techs?
Oh they were already removed, players used to get them when playing below Noble like Nomandic Lifestyle.
Instead you may want to remove these lines from handicaps:
<GoodyType>GOODY_SPACESETTLER</GoodyType>
<GoodyType>GOODY_SEEDSHIP</GoodyType>
These units aren't used at all.

If you want to benefit from a bugfix without us having to upload a patch or you having to wait for the next release then it is necessary

Not a valid point because everything can happen in the svn not just so called bugfixes. Lots of svn revisions break more things as they fix especially in existing games.

You can't tell someone to use the svn because his game is affected by a minor bug if it's possible that the svn causes an CTD instead or the balance changes break existing games.

If we don't want to keep getting the same bugs reported then it helps to have most reporting players on the most current assets

That's one of the reasons this forum has search function. A bug tracker could help modders and players to keep track of all kinds of issues but sadly most modders are against that.

That's one of the reasons this forum has search function. A bug tracker could help modders and players to keep track of all kinds of issues but sadly most modders are against that.
I've been using a spreadsheet for that. I only put in there the things I'm going to address though. It would be good for us to start using a central one though.
Not a valid point because everything can happen in the svn not just so called bugfixes. Lots of svn revisions break more things as they fix especially in existing games.

You can't tell someone to use the svn because his game is affected by a minor bug if it's possible that the svn causes an CTD instead or the balance changes break existing games.
Thus why I tried to say that it depends on the phase of the cycle we're in. During outright development, maybe best not to, but when we're just fixing bugs, it's probably a good idea.

One thing too, for players who want a 'clean game', sure keep out of the SVN updates if you can. But for those who want to see what's taking place and test it as it comes, that's extremely useful for us as modders to get that kind of feedback immediately. Otherwise we find our bugs long after they were included into the SVN. I just fixed one last night that came from a rare situation introduced by the previous commit. I wouldn't have found that until it was really a problem if players all waited for official releases.

Top Bottom