Caveman 2 Cosmos

I
Are these limited units? Strange... don't see why they would be.

In my game Rafts are a national unit: Max 5. Im on the latest release version though, not the the SVN so unless things changed there... I should install SVN I think :p

SCREENSHOT:
Spoiler :

Last edited:
In my game Rafts are a national unit: Max 5. Im on the latest release version though, not the the SVN so unless things changed there... I should install SVN I think :p

SCREENSHOT:
Spoiler :
It probably hasn't changed. I just can't imagine why its limited...

I was enjoying 4k C2C with minimal hud, and wanted to try reshade tilt-shift effect :)

Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

It probably hasn't changed. I just can't imagine why its limited...

In a way I could see a point to it. With unit sizes you'll have to carefully consider logistics of moving units over water, especially large armies over great distances. For example I build neanderthal elephant riders and they have huge sizes to begin with, but also very powerful when you merge them up, they can get very high strength and good for attacking cities. But to transport them on rafts I need to split up their initial normal size in to 3 smaller units for loading onto the rafts. With max 5 units of rafts transporting neanderthal elephant riders will take some real time. And I like this. It makes it MUCH more difficult to just show up with many sized up high strength units at enemies doorsteps. One sized up neanderthal elephant rider unit requires freighting 9 of the smaller downsized units on rafts, not something one simply do over night :).

In a way I could see a point to it. With unit sizes you'll have to carefully consider logistics of moving units over water, especially large armies over great distances. For example I build neanderthal elephant riders and they have huge sizes to begin with, but also very powerful when you merge them up, they can get very high strength and good for attacking cities. But to transport them on rafts I need to split up their initial normal size in to 3 smaller units for loading onto the rafts. With max 5 units of rafts transporting neanderthal elephant riders will take some real time. And I like this. It makes it MUCH more difficult to just show up with many sized up high strength units at enemies doorsteps. One sized up neanderthal elephant rider unit requires freighting 9 of the smaller downsized units on rafts, not something one simply do over night :).
Well it was intentionally difficult but not intended to be nearly impossible with unit limitations.

Well it was intentionally difficult but not intended to be nearly impossible with unit limitations.

Optimally I would like no limit on max numbers, but an increasing production cost and increasing support cost for every unit exceeding 5 units would be fun I think. Should probably only apply to the player and not the AI (that is the AI should have no limit). Oh well, just an idea for the future perhaps :)

Last edited:
Optimally I would like no limit on max numbers, but an increasing production cost and increasing support cost for every unit exceeding 5 units would be fun I think. Should probably only apply to the player and not the AI (that is the AI should have no limit). Oh well, just an idea for the future perhaps :)
That would probably have to be adapted to SM too (exceeding 5 batallions, or exceeding 5 countless?).

Hey guys, been a while since I've played this. Got a better computer, and I want to download this mod again. I seem to remember getting the latest playable version from this thread years ago, but I can't seem to find the link for the latest stable SVN download? Also, dumb question, but do I just extract the files directly into beyond the sword mods folder or the beyond the sword folder? Sorry for the dumb questions.

Hey guys, been a while since I've played this. Got a better computer, and I want to download this mod again. I seem to remember getting the latest playable version from this thread years ago, but I can't seem to find the link for the latest stable SVN download? Also, dumb question, but do I just extract the files directly into beyond the sword mods folder or the beyond the sword folder? Sorry for the dumb questions.
https://github.com/caveman2cosmos/Caveman2Cosmos/wiki/Using-SVN

Mod should be in a folder named exactly Caveman2Cosmos located in "\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos".

That's a bit ambiguous. The mod must not be in "\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\Caveman2Cosmos".
How is that less ambiguous? ^^ If what I said was ambiguous then the same reader would interpret what you said similarly and think it meant the mod must not be in:
"\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\Caveman2Cosmos\Caveman2Cosmos"
One would have to be dead set determined to do it wrong to interpret what we both said like that.

I would have written "\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\Caveman2Cosmos" if that is what I meant, and only a fool would then think that that could mean:
"\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\Caveman2Cosmos\Caveman2Cosmos"
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Anyhow, I should perhaps have added that the folder names before the Mods folder may have a bit different names on different installs of Civ4+BtS, e.g. Steam vs GoG vs CD install, etc.

It's important that it is not in "...\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS", it must be in the the Mods folder located where the Civ4BeyondSword.exe is, which again should be in "...\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods" or something similar.

Last edited:
How is that less ambiguous?
You said

Mod should be in a folder named exactly Caveman2Cosmos located in "\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos".

If a folder named Caveman2Cosmos is located in "\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos", it would be "\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\Caveman2Cosmos". I know you didn't mean that, but it could be interpreted that way.

If a folder named Caveman2Cosmos is located in "\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos", it would be "\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\Caveman2Cosmos". I know you didn't mean that, but it could be interpreted that way.
Yeah, when you say it like that, but I didn't say it like that, I said it more like:
If a folder named Caveman2Cosmos is located in "\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos"

The usage of bold signify that the first folder is the same as the second in that sentence. ^^
lol
who is trolling who here?
I and tmv got some history of cantankerous quarreling, I believe it's just a friendly thing we do. ^^

Last edited:
Reactions: tmv
I think our society is starting to misuse the term 'trolling' to mean anyone disagreeing with us when it really should be relegated specifically to people being rude with nothing more than the intention to irritate. Using the term in relation to simple discussion over opinions seems to me to be something many do to defend their position as a last ditch effort when they have no further rebuttals left but still haven't changed their minds - an effort to save face knowing they don't fully understand their own position on a subject yet. Thus, when used in that fashion, the accusation of 'trolling' becomes, itself, 'trolling'.

Yeah before you ask this all comes from thoughts inspired here by this recent exchange, but also from another discussion elsewhere recently. A bit OT I know.

Reactions: tmv
I'm sure that is true to some regard.
The thing here is very similar to irony in general and that is in textform it can be hard for the other person to understand it and when two people argue about the folder being ".../caveman2cosmos" or ".../caveman2cosmos/caveman2cosmos/caveman2cosmos" then it can't be denied that it really looks like someone is trolling here.

anyways, still like the progress of the mod. keep it up! :thumbsup:

Probably breaks saves. But we really cannot debug anything that's not on current assets.

played the SVN version that was advised, here is the visual bug, in the stack there are 3 units but only 2 are highlighted, there have been no emissions yet, but I have not played for a long time
upload_2020-8-4_12-7-41.png

Hi. I found that city defense bonuses does not work in latest version 40.1
for example tribal guardian has bonus +200% city defense, but no additional health bar appears.
upload_2020-8-4_13-6-9.png

also my archer has city garrison 3 promotion, that gives +75% city defense and his native bonus +50% city defense, together it ia +125% city defense. but additional health bar upon archer that stay in city is very short. it shows only bonus from city 13% but not archer's abilities and promotions.
upload_2020-8-4_13-6-57.png

defense bonuses dont work also in forts, wooden palisades, etc.

but defense bonuses for terrain works good. for exapmle axeman with woodsman 2 promotion has additional health bar when stay in forest

upload_2020-8-4_13-7-23.png

in previous versions city defense bonuses were displayed correct.
for example tribal guardian
upload_2020-8-4_13-8-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-4_13-4-47.png
    upload_2020-8-4_13-4-47.png
    19 KB · Views: 81
Disable health bar in graphical settings - its useless.
It never was supported.

Top Bottom