Caveman 2 Cosmos

That seems unusual. Even with stock v17 you should be subduing regularly. Once you get your Hunting promotions it should happen fairly often in fact. I haven't had any problems with subduing since v17 so not sure why you are experiencing that.

Non-hunting types have a much lower rate of subduing, so spearmen, axemen, etc. are more likely going to kill the creature than subdue.

Is hunting promotion a must btw?

Is hunting promotion a must btw?

No, it isn't required. Nor is the Hunting tech. The promotion does improve chances though.

DH is the one who coded the hunting mechanic so he'd know the details better. Typically on my games, whether it is coincidence or coding, I typically don't subdue much until I get Oral Tradition, since that is when you can create the Myth "Buildings".

No, it isn't required. Nor is the Hunting tech. The promotion does improve chances though.

DH is the one who coded the hunting mechanic so he'd know the details better. Typically on my games, whether it is coincidence or coding, I typically don't subdue much until I get Oral Tradition, since that is when you can create the Myth "Buildings".

Is there a difference in subduing if I attack vs defending from attack?

I have started 3 new games now and I am wondering if subdue animals is broken?
I have been in 50 battles total with animals without getting a single one of them subdued.
I have used, wanderer, scout and stone spearman and none with a result.
Using unmodified c2c download.

I expect that the AI is having all the luck.:mischief: You should be getting a subdued animal about twice in 5 battles with some of those becoming resources instead. I have just played 4 games to classical, in the first I was swamped with subdued animals, the next two I gave up because I saw only about 10 animals in the prehistoric era, none of which I was able to subdue. In the latest one I have only captured a few animals, then I found large herds on a neighbouring island. Still I a not capturing them. However I am capturing every shark I see, sharks are new.

I am beginning to think I may have the animal level too low since I am seeing barbarians settle into cities in the prehistoric period rather than the classic as they used to.

Edit that should be 45% subdue chance if you have the hunting promotion, 10% otherwise, modified up by woodsmen, gurilla and hunting promotions.

I expect that the AI is having all the luck.:mischief: You should be getting a subdued animal about twice in 5 battles with some of those becoming resources instead. I have just played 4 games to classical, in the first I was swamped with subdued animals, the next two I gave up because I saw only about 10 animals in the prehistoric era, none of which I was able to subdue. In the latest one I have only captured a few animals, then I found large herds on a neighbouring island. Still I a not capturing them. However I am capturing every shark I see, sharks are new.

I am beginning to think I may have the animal level too low since I am seeing barbarians settle into cities in the prehistoric period rather than the classic as they used to.

Edit that should be 45% subdue chance if you have the hunting promotion, 10% otherwise, modified up by woodsmen, gurilla and hunting promotions.

After I downloaded the mod again and installed, everything works.
I just got a donkey that got subdued.
Theres is no entry in the cevopedia.
Can it make a unique building like donkey farm etc?

That is probably because the wild donkey is an onager(sp?). It can build the "myth of the horse", "herd - mule" and totem/pet buildings. The "Herd - mule" allows a "Mule Trainer" which allows the Mule Worker which is a fast worker and Pack Mule which is an explorer type unit that can cross mountains.

I will fix the pedia.

I have barb civs popping up in the Ancient era. Seems like about the right time to me and qty. Why do you think the animal spawn is related?

Snakes should be toned down slightly. They seem to spawn for me more than anything else. Then again, I play on a Wet map, so it may just be from the extra jungle. In which case it's fine. :mischief:

I have a ton of Mermaids on my map though. Some areas literally there are several schools of them floating in the water just waiting for some boat full of horny sailors to come by. :lol: I don't have the latest SVN with all the new water creatures though, so perhaps that creates a more even spread.

Actually, none of the subdued animals appear in the pedia. Should they?

I have barb civs popping up in the Ancient era. Seems like about the right time to me and qty. Why do you think the animal spawn is related?

If the animals are taking up the room then barbarian units can't spawn because they use the BtS method which means they only spawn on plots not visible to any unit including barbarians.

Snakes should be toned down slightly. They seem to spawn for me more than anything else. Then again, I play on a Wet map, so it may just be from the extra jungle. In which case it's fine. :mischief:

they are slightly more common that other animals. I have realised that I need to go through the spawn XML to replace the artificial resource spawns with more realistic feature spawns.

I have a ton of Mermaids on my map though. Some areas literally there are several schools of them floating in the water just waiting for some boat full of horny sailors to come by. :lol: I don't have the latest SVN with all the new water creatures though, so perhaps that creates a more even spread.

Can't move for sea critters in my last game. ;) The jumping, humpback whales by SaibotLieh are amazing. I tried to get the other whales to use the same animations but it did not work. :(

I am also getting far too many eagles and hawks.

Actually, none of the subdued animals appear in the pedia. Should they?

If you go under the animal category and then select their name from the list you should be able see their pedia page.

Can't move for sea critters in my last game. ;) The jumping, humpback whales by SaibotLieh are amazing. I tried to get the other whales to use the same animations but it did not work. :(

That's because the models are from completely different games. The humpback is from Empire Earth 3 and the Minke Whale is a Zoo Tycoon 2 mod animal.

If the animals are taking up the room then barbarian units can't spawn because they use the BtS method which means they only spawn on plots not visible to any unit including barbarians.

You fixed this then? I mentioned not long ago that they WERE spawning in visible plots, but didn't know if a fix was made. It must be fairly recent if so because my game had a large number of land animals. (On Raging Barbs though).

they are slightly more common that other animals. I have realised that I need to go through the spawn XML to replace the artificial resource spawns with more realistic feature spawns.

Spawning in Jungles, Desert, and Forest is realistic, but you have to tone down iTurns and the density tags to keep them from spawning TOO much. Andy's new Area density tag could help out there.

I am also getting far too many eagles and hawks.

Haven't seen those yet, but will likely update my active game version today. Glad there are finally some flying animals.

As a side note, I think Gorillas or any two-legged beasts in general should only be 1 Movement. I'm tempted to suggest Cheetahs and Horses have the Field/Plains promotion so they move even faster on Grassland and Plains (although not with Forest present... guess that is tricky). And I think the single Lion is at Str 1. :sad:

You fixed this then? I mentioned not long ago that they WERE spawning in visible plots, but didn't know if a fix was made. It must be fairly recent if so because my game had a large number of land animals. (On Raging Barbs though).

No, I haven't fixed it for the animals. It is the default for BtS spawns which is what is used for barbarians and barbarian towns.

I am wondering if we need a special initial spawn at about turn 11 to get some animals on the map rather than what we have now which is more designed towards maintaining animal numbers. This should solve the problem of seeing no animals until turn 50.

active game version?

Is there a new version besides v.17 ?

I'm using a slightly older SVN as the one I'm actually playing a game on. Though I'll be updating soon.

I keep my playing folder separate from the SVN so I don't accidentally commit any temporary changes I've made.

No, I haven't fixed it for the animals. It is the default for BtS spawns which is what is used for barbarians and barbarian towns.

I am wondering if we need a special initial spawn at about turn 11 to get some animals on the map rather than what we have now which is more designed towards maintaining animal numbers. This should solve the problem of seeing no animals until turn 50.

You're not seeing ANY animals until turn 50?? :confused:

Maybe if there are multiple waves like with the Neanderthals, you could make the first wave short and more copious, then settle into a more gentle spawn rate after that.

Hmmmm, that would explain why my Raging Barbarians have been less Raging and more Mildly Agitated as of late.. I hardly ever see barbarians, tho I do see animals fairly regularly..

As a side note, I think Gorillas or any two-legged beasts in general should only be 1 Movement. I'm tempted to suggest Cheetahs and Horses have the Field/Plains promotion so they move even faster on Grassland and Plains (although not with Forest present... guess that is tricky). And I think the single Lion is at Str 1. :sad:

Make animal suggestions on the Subdue animal thread or I will forget them. I may be able to give a bonus on terrain ie plains and grasslands and a penalty on features like forest.

Single lion has str 2 like the cheetah and hyena.

Top Bottom