Caveman 2 Cosmos

It's a caching issue, I think exiting and entering the city will allow you to build the chaser again.

There may be a simple quick fix I could add in the python UI code. . . But I'm quite sure it's a more complicated dll caching bug, that ideally should be fixed at the root.

One more thing about ultra-strong sea monsters: I have started a new game. I am in the early-mid Ancient (a few techs after Sailing) and I have encountered some strong sea monsters (one Size Up) but with Peace among NPC's checked they are not promoted, so my three merged Galleys (Sea Hunter III and a Quality Up recently) have no real opponents (before Quality Up one fight could be dangerous - combat odds about 70%). However, one Galley would be not enough.

S.

It's a caching issue, I think exiting and entering the city will allow you to build the chaser again.
Hi @Toffer90. Exiting and re-entering city does not fix it. Have to process a turn in between.
I replicated same error with myth/earth and myth/stone - where deselecting one in favor of other did not put the other myth back in queue.

Other issue I noted in 40.1 is that when queuing a bunch of units sometimes the turn count would not show in the build queue in the lower left corner in the city box.

Hi @Toffer90. Exiting and re-entering city does not fix it. Have to process a turn in between.
I replicated same error with myth/earth and myth/stone - where deselecting one in favor of other did not put the other myth back in queue.

Other issue I noted in 40.1 is that when queuing a bunch of units sometimes the turn count would not show in the build queue in the lower left corner in the city box.
K, I'll look into it eventually.

In my present game (v. 40 release) I have seen another sign that AI may behave in an intelligent way. I tried to apply a strategy of religious denial (to discover all religion techs first). Up to now (late Ancient) I have managed to do that but I have used some Great Prophets to build shrines of existing religions instead of founding new ones. Recently (after Seafaring and breaking through countless sea monsters) I have reached another continent and it turns some other civ (IIRC Java...something of Khmers) has foundend Ngaiism (one of the religions from the bottom of my favourite religion list). I have discovered it first but not founded - I guess they got a Great Prophet, discovered the tech and founded the religion.

And a question. There were three other civs at my continent, all of them from a different culture groups (Middle East, South America and Pacific - I play an European civ). I have an access to proper culture wonders, excellent. At the other continent there were three another civs (SA, ME and Europe unfortunately) - I have used my special forces to capture their capitals and turn into barbarian cities. At one of them Olmecs emerged (they should be North American). I have captured this city but no new culture group appeared. Recently one of the Barbarian cities at my continent turned into Morocco (IIRC spelled "Morroco"). I think it should be African (culturally this is Middle East but if Egyptians are African...) but after I have captured this, again no new culture group has appeared. Both civs were "minor" ones - would I need to wait until they become normal civs?

S.

I have used my special forces to capture their capitals and turn into barbarian cities.
HUH?!?!? You can do THAT? HOOOW!!!??? With criminals? Because that'd be an entirely DIFFERENT approach to [Gotta Catch Em All]!
Ya know, capture a city, turn it Barb, wait until it turns back into something NEW, capture another Civmon for your collection.
I've struggled with doing it in a "let it be and see what happens" way - but economy is usually so good even for AI that they almost never split.
But if I could do that MYSELF... OOOHHH!!!

HUH?!?!? You can do THAT? HOOOW!!!??? With criminals? Because that'd be an entirely DIFFERENT approach to [Gotta Catch Em All]!
Ya know, capture a city, turn it Barb, wait until it turns back into something NEW, capture another Civmon for your collection.
I've struggled with doing it in a "let it be and see what happens" way - but economy is usually so good even for AI that they almost never split.
But if I could do that MYSELF... OOOHHH!!!

You have to use what I believe are referred to as "ruffian" units or "special forces". They are distinguished by the descriptor "hidden nationality". They appear normal to the owner, but barbarian to everyone else (this also means that ruffians can't attack barbarians, and vice versa... ruffians and special forces also can't capture a barbarian city for you, even if it has no units defending it).

Such units include ambushers, stalkers, big cat units, partisans, and guerillas. If a city is small enough, a conquering ruffian or special forces unit will raze the city. These units cannot merge or split.

You have to use what I believe are referred to as "ruffian" units or "special forces". They are distinguished by the descriptor "hidden nationality". They appear normal to the owner, but barbarian to everyone else (this also means that ruffians can't attack barbarians, and vice versa... ruffians and special forces also can't capture a barbarian city for you, even if it has no units defending it).

Such units include ambushers, stalkers, big cat units, partisans, and guerillas. If a city is small enough, a conquering ruffian or special forces unit will raze the city. These units cannot merge or split.
I thought so, but I thought that "can't capture cities" means ANY cities, lol.
Or is that about some other units?
Anyways, so I simply need to capture a city with these guys and it will turn Barb?
COOL!!!
A new strategy for Pit's map, yeah!!!
Read:
Build tons of Ambushers and the like, keep capturing NON-capital cities (not necessarily, just more FUN) and spawning new and new civs!
Then just follow with an identifiable force once it converts - and you have captured another Civmon!
Would that work?
This mod never ceases to surprise and please me, indeed!!! :goodjob:

By the way, is there a legitimate way to "lose" your own cities when YOU want it?
As in, not randomly or through defeat, but simply "giving independence" to cities YOU own.

Strike Team, not Ruffians. More precisely, I had two Ambushers after one Quality Up promotion (Size Matters). This is my old strategy. IIRC Thunderbrd (or some other C2C wizard) put some effort to counter this, but in some situations this may still work. Strike Team should have March and at least one "step back" type promotion.

@raxo2222: I was about to switch to the SVN version soon after 40.1 release but I have reverted it when I saw +100+ GPT income had changed into almost -200 GPT... I guess I would need to start a new game.

S.

Last edited:
@raxo2222: I was about to switch to the SVN version soon after 40.1 release but I have reverted it when I saw +100+ GPT income had changed into almost -200 GPT... I guess I would need to start a new game.

S.
No need to revert, just reduce research for a while when you are building all +gold buildings.

Ruffians, such as Bandits, can capture cities. Strike Teams cannot but they can attack the troops in them. Criminals cannot but they can take refuge in them to not be attacked as long as they can avoid becoming Wanted by being investigated and thus open to being arrested by LE units.

The problem Ruffians and Strike Teams can encounter in trying to flip cities to barbs is that the minimum defense levels to attack may still apply... therefore, maybe you can capture some rams or catapults or something to enable you to reduce the target city's defenses. Strike Teams, however, are often capable of attacking despite defense levels, being capable of sneaking over walls to do so, but they probably aren't quite as strong as ruffians, particularly at attacking cities.

Ruffians, such as Bandits, can capture cities. Strike Teams cannot but they can attack the troops in them. Criminals cannot but they can take refuge in them to not be attacked as long as they can avoid becoming Wanted by being investigated and thus open to being arrested by LE units.

The problem Ruffians and Strike Teams can encounter in trying to flip cities to barbs is that the minimum defense levels to attack may still apply... therefore, maybe you can capture some rams or catapults or something to enable you to reduce the target city's defenses. Strike Teams, however, are often capable of attacking despite defense levels, being capable of sneaking over walls to do so, but they probably aren't quite as strong as ruffians, particularly at attacking cities.
Since I play without that annoying defense stuff, I merely need to have a strong enough army, and actually I think I could even use normal units up until the final strike, lol.
Is that how it works, correct?
Like, wipe out everything in the city EXCEPT a couple weak defenders - then use Bandits to finish the job and get Bars, right?
I still realized that this doesn't mean an AUTOMATIC NEW CIV, sadly enough, but it's gonna be an interesting game anyways.
WHEN I get to it, that is, lol.

If you use 'normal' units, you'd need a declaration of war. The point is that you don't with this approach. Of course you could do that even in a war to have a third choice between razing and keeping.

I could use some help with crashes if someone is willing. I've played C2C for a few years now, and have always had trouble with crashing. I recently got a new laptop so I figured that it would be more stable since I upgraded from a 2G to 8G video card. However, it is still crashing. About half the time it is just a C2D without an error, and the other half it is a failure to allocate memory error. I am now playing through steam (had the disk version before), and I believe that the errors have to do with my settings or options. I'm not sure where to get the log files from, so if you need those I can provide them, but I need the location. None of the ones I've found after a brief search seem to contain any pertinent info. I'd really appreciate any help, I'd like to be able to go more than ten turns without a crash if possible.

So it has been a long time since I posted this originally, but as far as I can tell things work best if you turn off the resource icons and save every time you are about to obtain a new tech. I've only had one crash since I started doing that, but I am sadly playing on a smaller map now. Still, this info might be helpful to someone else experiencing the same type of issues. I'd imagine it'll help on larger maps as well, but I'd still expect crashes from time to time. I believe it also helps that I leave five spaces between my cities. It stands to reason that the fewer cities are in the world the less memory will be taken up in their running. I also just tear down all buildings and abandon any cities that I capture and resettle the land in a sensible pattern.

I'd also like to ask a question that by all rights I should probably know the answer to by now. I've got a city full of foreign scoundrels and I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of them. I can bomb the heck out of them, but that really only serves to train my bombers. I've got five police APCs and five police helicopters in the city with as many investigation promotions as I could get them to, but as I understand that'll only help if they try to perform a mission.They however, seem to be content with ruining the city with frankly astronomical levels of crime, causing endless revolts. I've also got 2 police APCs promoted for crime reduction, ten modern infantry, a police dog (who I thought was supposed to be able to detect these insufferable curs) and one WW2 ambulance.

Any help would be appreciated. I almost want to abandon the city and then nuke them, but I don't think the AI is smart enough to take that hint.

Last edited:
So it has been a long time since I posted this originally, but as far as I can tell things work best if you turn off the resource icons and save every time you are about to obtain a new tech. I've only had one crash since I started doing that, but I am sadly playing on a smaller map now. Still, this info might be helpful to someone else experiencing the same type of issues. I'd imagine it'll help on larger maps as well, but I'd still expect crashes from time to time. I believe it also helps that I leave five spaces between my cities. It stands to reason that the fewer cities are in the world the less memory will be taken up in their running. I also just tear down all buildings and abandon any cities that I capture and resettle the land in a sensible pattern.

I'd also like to ask a question that by all rights I should probably know the answer to by now. I've got a city full of foreign scoundrels and I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of them. I can bomb the heck out of them, but that really only serves to train my bombers. I've got five police APCs and five police helicopters in the city with as many investigation promotions as I could get them to, but as I understand that'll only help if they try to perform a mission.They however, seem to be content with ruining the city with frankly astronomical levels of crime, causing endless revolts. I've also got 2 police APCs promoted for crime reduction, ten modern infantry, a police dog (who I thought was supposed to be able to detect these insufferable curs) and one WW2 ambulance.

Any help would be appreciated. I almost want to abandon the city and then nuke them, but I don't think the AI is smart enough to take that hint.
Check out the Player's Guide and scroll to where it links you to the breakdown of understanding criminals and law enforcement further. You'll get more info there than I can state in the moment I have to reply here.

Check out the Player's Guide and scroll to where it links you to the breakdown of understanding criminals and law enforcement further. You'll get more info there than I can state in the moment I have to reply here.
Here are the links for the two pages that pertain to this;
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/understanding-strike-teams-ruffians-and-criminals.561705/
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/criminal-spawns-investigation-and-arrest-in-v37.608212/
As well as the guide itself;
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/caveman2cosmos-v40-1-player-guide.607564/
To provide a direct answer to my question, it looks like the only way to get rid of them is to reduce the crime level, build buildings that increase investigation, and promote law enforcement units with investigation as well.

I was getting CTDs every turn, and I got rid of them completely by closing the game every turn.

Police can't arrest crims unless they are Wanted. If the crims are sufficiently promoted, or the city crime level is high enough, getting them to Wanted status is pretty impossible. Your non-Wanted crims, however, have an Assassinate mission which they can use to eliminate other crims. If your crims become Wanted, and they are subject to investigation by your own police so this happens all too easily if they're in cities, they lose this ability. Keep them in forts rather than cities to avoid this happening.

Only your highest Investigate rating counts, so the rest of your LEs can concentrate on getting the crime rate down.

Only your highest Investigate rating counts, so the rest of your LEs can concentrate on getting the crime rate down.
You get 10% of the investigation levels of any others present adding to your primary investigator unit so additional units can count significantly but if you promote them or specialize them in this way it's probably not as potent as just outright anti-crime with a specialized investigator.

You get 10% of the investigation levels of any others present adding to your primary investigator unit so additional units can count significantly but if you promote them or specialize them in this way it's probably not as potent as just outright anti-crime with a specialized investigator.
You know, it turned out the police dog had the highest. Forget the APCs and helicopters. Gotten rid of 8/10 of them now. Loaded the city up with anti-crime helis and APCs and the dog was able to find most of them. City went from a crime value of 2500 to -3000. I recommend keeping their health low with aircraft like I was unwittingly doing because they might kill the dogs, and you'll gain some XP for them as well.

Reactions: tmv
Top Bottom