1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CBP players, what do you think about Civ VI so far?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Degenx2, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Txurce

Txurce Warlord

You're Polish? How did you learn to write English so well?

Uh oh... Please don't tell me you're a Kaczynski supporter!

2. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Warlord

Magic, obviously. This is truly the only way one could learn a language as complex as English. I must add that I have stolen the finest tomes of dark sorcery from a German sorcerer called Dietrich Sesselschutz and I will use it to cast vile spells at you. You will be cursed for an eternity, wandering the dark lands of America, an outcast to all, until Vlad the Impaler comes back from death and does what his name suggests to you. This is your fate now, for I am now a Polish Archmage of great and terrible power.

Wouldst that be thy trigger?

cpm4001 and Groff like this.
  3. Txurce

Txurce Warlord

One of many. I have enough interest in Poland to worry that it is currently slipping into a Dark Age, although the recent government reversal on abortion gave me hope that there are limits to its regression.

4. albie_123

albie_123 Modding In Secret

As much as I'd also like to start railing on Poland for abandoning the legacy of Pilsudski in favour of his much less competent rival Dmowski, let's keep this thread slightly relevant. ;)

After a few more games, I actually think Civ VI provides a much better base for work than Civ V. Districts are a fantastic addition to the game despite their current lack of balance, and I really, really like the government system - I actually like it more than the policies of Civ V AND the civics of Civ IV. They've managed to keep the strict 'negatives aren't fun' outlook of the former while bringing back the real decision making of the latter. Obviously there are problems - the UI is atrocious, the AI is worse - but these are things that could potentially be patched. The lacklustre diplomacy is probably the only problem in the game that I don't see being fixed in a patch, but considering the absence of the Congress / UN it's almost definitely going to be either DLC or the first expansion.

Overall: I don't think we're in a Beyond Earth situation where the game is just destined to fail, and I think Civ VI has the potential to be better than CiV+BNW. Let's just all pray for DLL access sooner rather than later.

5. Txurce

Txurce Warlord

I agree, Albie, but are you enjoying yourself after a few games?

I also agree that they are saving diplomacy for an expansion. It's too glaring a hole in the VC list.

6. albie_123

I am for now, but then again, I enjoyed Beyond Earth for a good week or two - so maybe I'm not the best judge.

One thing I will say is that Civ VI has done nothing to address the boring late game, but to be honest that hasn't been addressed since the Civilization series begun (barring a token effort in Beyond the Sword). I really, really, really wish a competitor would come along for that reason alone. 4X games need to be built in reverse: Have a super entertaining lategame, then work out how the player can have fun getting there. Civilization, on the other hand, is all about those first 100 turns, probably because most consumers never even get that far before letting it sit in their steam library.

7. Galbias

Galbias Chieftain

I'm not entirely sure I like Civics in their current implementation, it feels kind of gamey and tedious waiting to change Civics before you buy a tile or build a builder/settler. I think part of the problem is that you can swap them out so frequently, it's wasteful building something early on if you don't have the Civic for it. I feel like they'd be a lot more interesting if you had less chances to swap them out (say, every 30 turns or so), making it more about meaningful planning and less about "okay, I'm going to build X, so I guess I need the civic for it".

I always thought Ideologies in BNW were a way of helping with that a bit, they tend to start wars and drive a wedge through established relationships.

8. BiteInTheMark

BiteInTheMark Chieftain

First i thought the same, but it isnt that easy. The longer you have the same government, you get more benefits over time (1% less gold purchase cost for every 15 turns etc...). If you change your social policies, even you dont change your government, the timer for the next benefit level resets. And you cant change everytime you want. There is some restriction, not really sure, but I think you have to research the next social technology, before you can change it again.

Yepp, that is also my opinion, picking ideologies gives the lategame more aspects and more rivalty.

Civ 6 gets more and more enjoying. The best position for districts and the even much more restriction for wonders I want to build are challenging. But the AI is very terrible, I agree. In one of my games my neighbor india spammed their special elefant massivly and placed them everywhere. It looked like he had fun in blocking my roads and mountain passes, so i had to bought hexes to get access to some tiles....... At 1600, while i researched computer technologies, i declared colonial war on him (you need to be 2 eras ahead in technology) and killed his elefants with my tanks. In my last game, Arabia started on a big island, he founded a good city in the north and and settled then on 2 crappy small islands, completly ignoring the south of his starting island. He ignored a 6 hexes away awesome spot for 2 luxuries, 4 fishes, 2 other bonus ressources and a NW on his starting island. :eek:

I hope for a fast patch of this mental ill AI.

9. Navanod

Navanod Chieftain

Not entirely related to gameplay...but I think Civ VI needs this mod

Asterix Rage, thunderbird_14 and vyyt like this.
  10. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Chieftain

Another thing I really dislike about CivVI is the religious game. With no way to take over the role of founder of a religion if you decimate that civ from the game you now also don't have any religious way to stop other religions from converting your cities.
    This makes the religious victory a real threat against you as I just found out.
    I had already removed 2 civs from my game before I even encountered the others in the world, one of whom had founded a religion that I would have also like to use.
    Anyway fast-forward a few eras and I'm just about to launch the last module and win the space race when I am defeated by 1 of the 3 remaining religions.
    Yeah I could have gone on a rampage and won a domination victory, I was 2 or 3 eras ahead of everyone else, but I wanted to see the science victory screen. (Domination victories are just too easy in VI)

Anyone have any ideas on how to combat religious incursions when you don't have a religion of your own?

11. albie_123

Religion in general is just... eh. The religions themselves feel so flavourless (maybe that's partially due to them being identical to CiV) and religious combat is boring.

To be perfectly honest I never liked CiV style religion, it only highlights the problems that come with bad AI and one unit per tile. The developers should have done everything in their power to minimise the number of units needed to be made, but then religion came along and suddenly spamming missionaries wasn't just the way to go but highly encouraged and abused by the AI.

Civ IV + Beyond the Sword got it right, with the Apostolic Palace and minimal presence of religion on the 'game board'. I'm hoping that due to both the absence of any diplomatic victory, and the relatively untouched state of religion beyond the sorta lazy victory, we'll get an Apostolic Palace in the first expansion.

I've found this is a real problem in VI (although hey, once again, it was a problem in V!), victories just sneak up on you - both when you win, and when opponents win. There needs to be some sort of indication that an opponent is on their way to winning, and there needs to be some sort of climax beyond pressing 'next turn' and then suddenly winning.

Beyond Earth was actually better in this regard, at least the victories felt somewhat climactic.

12. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Chieftain

Yeah, "sneak up on you" is an apt description. Considering it requires 50% of all civs but you have no way, other then manually counting the cities, of knowing this figure the whole concept just... happens.

13. tompliss

tompliss Chieftain

Other than pressing F1 ?

But yeah, I still agree : other than for domination, you don't see civs winning. But it's still something that could be said about Civ 5, so I didn't expect it to be much better in civ 6 anyway :/

14. Funak

Funak Chieftain

Worth mentioning that I'm not at all opposed to the general religious structure of one founder belief, one follower belief, one building and one enhancer. But the beliefs in general are just extremely uninteresting and poorly balanced.
    I mean there is one belief giving you +1 yields from two separate districts, that's not only really weak but you're also forced to build specific districts in every city to make use of it. The worst part is that that belief isn't even one of the bad ones.

I'm also aware that civ6 didn't exactly invent the idea of forcing/limiting one followerbelief to be a building, but maybe we should adapt it here as well? Feels like it would create more interesting religions and less powergaming.

15. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

Not to pat myself on the back, but I feel like the VP's belief choices blow Civ 6's out of the water. Also religious combat is (IMO) immersion-breaking and silly, and the religion interface is nightmarish. There is apparently pressure, but no way to get a feel on how that pressure is working. The AI spams apostles in an unstoppable fashion. America in my current game has a faith per turn of 12, yet is producing an Apostle a turn. Something tells me the AI isn't actually 'losing' faith that it spends on stuff. Would also explain how Russia was able to faith purchase 6 different GPs on the same turn in my previous game.

G

IcyAngel likes this.
  16. Anastase Alex

Anastase Alex Chieftain

I have stopped playing CiV 6. Vox Populi & CBO any day.

17. tompliss

tompliss Chieftain

After a big week on Civ 6, I started a game on Civ 5. I really miss the pins and the lenses, especially when planning cities. I also feel, now more before, that every city needs nearly every building :/

18. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Warlord

Only 66k playing Civ 6, and 37 in Civ 5. Like, I remember a few months ago more people playing Civ 5.

CIV SIX more like FLOP HERETICS
    ww

And yeah, Civ 6 religion system is awful. My only game I've started by lots of quarry-able resources, took the +2 Faith for quarries and got sort of broken with my Faith output. And policy system seemed boring too, to be honest. So all policies can get the same stuff pretty much, though different possibilities - well, I prefer Civ 5 system.

2 hours Just 2 and I had enough after seeing the AI not even able to pick up ruins, expand and just spam units, sending them to die. I didn't expect VP, but at least Cvi 5 level of intelligence would be okay

Not Current Year enough for ye, aye young sailor? GOOD. There won't be as many cases of people getting away with crimes just because they're "POOR AND OPWESSED" here, which is definitely medieval. Criminals belong in a prison.

Also the abortion thing you're so interested in is primarily a lie. I know what you've heard, but... It wasn't a project made by the government, but by the people. Only some of the ruling party approve it as all can do as their conscience allows in this matter AFAIK. Foreign media, who are too prevalent in Poland, tried to lie. But thankfully leftists have shown their true, abominable colours everyone knows them for - some of the rather monstrous comments they've made regarding abortion weirdly coincided with them losing approval in the polls. The accidental bait was left for the left, and they swallowed it together with the hook. Wondrous.
    I can't wait for a government which removes or at least does something to severely hinder ALL foreign-owned media in Poland. As it is, 90+% is owned by foreigners who lie, lie and lie, constantly belittling Poland and the Poles, wanting us to be some sort of mindless servants of the EU (no wonder considering the owners nationality). How about no. That the current party didn't do anything about this disappoints me, though I can still hope for a change. They're going in the right direction which is what matters.

19. Txurce

Txurce Warlord

Boy, am I glad I pricked you. This is priceless.

Deluxe likes this.
  20. Deluxe

Deluxe Chieftain

This. My wife is polish, and after living in France for a while (several years) she realizes how most people in Poland are close minded about a lot of this stuff. Spirits are strong in Poland, and History was not good to the Poles. That creates strong and wonderful people, but also some sad biases and ideas, some quite dangerous.

Back to the topic : my main problem with Civ VI is the tactical AI. I seriously can't even start to enjoy the new mechanics when the AI is not able to capture an undefended city with a large army (shuffling around it). That's depressing.