1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CFC:OT Personality Types

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MaryKB, Sep 30, 2019.

?

What is your Myers-Briggs Type Indicator?

1. INTJ - Architect

23.3%
  2. INTP - Logistian

10.0%
  3. ENTJ - Commander

10.0%
  4. ENTP - Debater

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. INFJ - Advocate

3.3%
  6. INFP - Mediator

33.3%
  7. ENFJ - Protagonist

6.7%
  8. ENFP - Campaigner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. ISTJ - Logistician

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. ISFJ - Defender

10.0%
  11. ESTJ - Executive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. ESFJ - Consul

3.3%
  13. ISTP - Virtuoso

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. ISFP - Adventurer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. ESTP - Entrepreneur

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. ESFP - Entertainer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hehehe

Hehehe Emperor

2. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Probably because this isn't your standard Internet test. It was developed in the 1940's well before the internet was born.

3. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Right. I dislike these tests, and the whole conceptualization of people as either introverted or extroverted. It seems to smudge things like depression and manic disorders into character traits. Cultural differences, too.

Hygro, Traitorfish and Synsensa like this.
  4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I would be interested to read what negative personality traits are associated with each personality type.

Hygro likes this.
  5. MaryKB

MaryKB Goddess Queen Supporter

I don't know all the personalities super well, but I can tell you a few things about INFPs ...

We get really attached to our favorite cause (consider myself and sexism, and Lexicus and environmentalism), and we can almost become suicidal or nihilistic at how evil we perceive our world to be.

We also can end up in a guilt spiral, where we feel we're too selfish, and end up hurting ourselves or others by spending too much of our energy on a single thing while we neglect others.

We can be hyper-moral, we're pretty inflexible with compromising our personal values (such as how I absolutely will not commit any type of crime, even as small as downloading pirated music), and you have absolutely no chance of convincing us to change on that.

We take criticism very personally, feeling like we're being attacked rather than our views. This is sort of because we associate our most passionate cause(s) as being such a core part of our identity, that we feel when you attack that you really do attack us.

We also can be idealistic to the point of naivete.

AmazonQueen and hobbsyoyo like this.
  6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I don't even have a cause. Besides, I have a schizoid personality, which should mean I get "architect" or some such by default.
    Ergo, this test has failed ^_^

Hygro likes this.
  7. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

INFP-T, seems to be popular. I've seen a lot of talk about forum goers in general but do you think the fact that we all loved Civ at some point is also relevant?

I read through the description and it seems pretty on point other than the 2nd language stuff. The introvert discussion is interesting. I'm an extrovert when I know I have common ground. So in certain situations I'll talk to anybody. I'm a brewer so in the taproom, at festivals, at my brew club, etc I'll sit down and talk to anyone because I know we share interests. At parties ill converse with anybody nearby who's interested, I'm pretty good at feigning interest in things and easily say just enough to keep people talking. I'm introverted but not shy or uncomfortable in social situations, I just tend to let others drive the conversation.

MaryKB likes this.
  8. MaryKB

Introversion vs extroversion is more about where you get your energy ... does being with people leave you exhausted, and you need alone time to "recharge?" Or do you find you get a bit restless when by yourself, and feel you need to be with people?

You can be shy and extroverted :)

9. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

According to the quiz, I'm INFP-T.

A lot of the questions were kind of vague though, so I might have misunderstood them.

MaryKB likes this.
  10. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Honestly I'm pretty comfortable with both. I like going to parties about as much as I enjoy the times my wife takes the boys somewhere and leaves me home alone. I feel like the word introverted comes with baggage but it really shouldn't.

11. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

There are a lot of criticisms of the Myers-Briggs test, but the one that jumps out of me is: why sixteen outcomes? That's suspiciously neat. I appreciate that it's a series of binary scales, so we're always going to be working from a starting point of base-2. But why four scales? And why are all possible combinations permissible? Complex systems don't work that way, they tend to close off certain combinations. It's all too pretty.

Hygro and The_J like this.
  12. MaryKB

Which combinations do you feel are inappropriate?

My understanding is that it's based on Jungian psychology ... and just because something's neatly designed doesn't automatically mean it's defective, right? :)

Birdjaguar likes this.
  13. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Here an INFP-A
    Never did this test (or heard about it)

Mind: extraverted 49%, introverted 51%
    Energy: intuitive 60%, observant 40%
    Nature: thinking 33%, feeling: 67%
    Tactics: judging 33%, prospecting 67%
    Identity: assertive 74%, turbulent 26%

Perhaps good to mention that I do trust (or like to trust ?!) my intuition very much, but I also do like to "feed" my intuition properly first before I go in "do-mode" following my nose or wherever my path leads me to. I think to get, keep your intuition functionally calibrated you do need a lot of steady maintenance on it with lots of self-criticism.
    I like to be in do-mode in auto-pilot :)
    like music

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  14. Truthy

Truthy Chatbot

In Japan, they have horoscopes based on blood types. A+ are brave, O- are intellectuals, etc. People will assign superstitious patterns to any taxonomy. MBTI has the same problem when people put much weight on it and actually believe WXYZ are natural-born leaders with a discerning taste for arugula.

What MBTI is actually good for is condensing a bunch of answers to a questionnaire into a somewhat meaningful and interpretable class based on some theories by Carl Jung and whoever Meyers and Briggs are (it's "theory-driven", which is why it has some aesthetically pleasing qualities). It largely succeeds at that. People who share my interests and quirks are vastly more likely to be xNTy, even INTy. We all could have guessed this forum would be overwhelmingly "introverts" and "intuitive thinkers" (and it's fun to actually see that result play out). Five factor is more "scientific" - for one, it's based on actually gathering up lots of survey data and finding actual dimensions of variation. But it's not as fun and there's even some overlap with MB; e.g., one of those dimensions is straight up the same as an MB dimension (extraversion/introversion).

Hygro and The_J like this.
  15. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Disinterested Observer Moderator

I did the test and got an INFP-T. I've done about 20 Myers-Briggs tests (and have even administered them) and every single time I have been an INTJ.

I don't know why there is a discrepancy this time, but I feel the test is somehow flawed. It's controversial and not really useful anyway, but they are fun to do. I think that's the appeal.

16. rah

rah Deity Supporter

If the same result happens 20 times, there is something good about the test. People do change so it's possible to score differently over time
    Not that long ago many companies used this test as the bible for identifying management candidates but in hind site it probably just reinforced white male privilege. ;)
    I took considerable advantage from it. (and white male privilege). But those were the times and you used whatever advantage you could get to take care of your family.
    I did spend my career offering opportunities and mentoring those that weren't So I will not apologize for it.

17. Lemon Merchant

While it is possible to change over time, I don't think it is correct in my case. I think that the test that Mary linked was flawed and that is what I was referring to when I said the test was flawed. It's just pop internet psychology anyway. There weren't nearly enough questions to get an adequate sample of the personality under test. A real test has a staggering amount of questions all indexed and correlated with each other, and they are designed to trip you up to get honest answers. Expect to be asked the same question in different ways several times. One should be bored, frustrated, and have a headache after an MBTI test. :lol:

18. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I took one 'official' test for a college course and it was tedious and boring by the end. Every time I've taken it online from links like Mary, it's been much shorter.

19. Lemon Merchant

Exactly!

20. MaryKB

I think it's interesting how every woman here is an INFP ...