CFC Steam Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, Steam gets a new fancy UI :o

I, using the same computer, get the same error- load to 26%, then "unable to open steamTemp.exe for writing."

Anyone else have the same error?

I, using the same computer, get the same error- load to 26%, then "unable to open steamTemp.exe for writing."

Anyone else have the same error?

Works just fine. Then again, I've been using the UI beta since it was released.

Why did they even make a new UI in the first place? The old one worked just fine. And from what I understand it's actually slower and harder to use, so what exactly was the point?

No, the old one did not work fine. Valve is releasing a Mac version of Steam. Macs, as you may know, do not have Internet Explorer. The old Steam UI was based on IE. The new one is based on Webkit, which makes it portable.

On the Library page for your games, there are 3 buttons in the upper-right corner which allow you to select different views.

I only use the middle one which is like the old viewing format.

I am happy that Steam switched to the Webkit engine instead of relying on the Trident engine.

(Note: I'm refering to the layout engine of a web browser :p)

Mac on Steam. Can people who buy a Mac version of a game play with people who have the PC version of the game? ... World of Warcraft is like the only game I know where this is possible. Well, as far as I can think of right now, which is not very far.

Mac on Steam. Can people who buy a Mac version of a game play with people who have the PC version of the game? ... World of Warcraft is like the only game I know where this is possible. Well, as far as I can think of right now, which is not very far.

Yes, at least for all Valve games.

I don't know of any games where it isn't possible.

I don't know of any games where it isn't possible.

It depends on how the games deal with network traffic. Different OS's use different ways to store data, both in-memory and on disk. This affects whether or not the game on one side can understand the data being sent to it.

Games intentionally designed for multi-platform releases have this problem coded out, but some games that later get a port to a different OS may have issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.