1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Chakra

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by odintheking, Oct 16, 2007.

1. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

Y'all want a Chakra say f- that. F-that f-that. Y'all want a Chakra say f-that. Boom boom boom boom.

Yeah, sorry, I was listening to Korn's "Y'all Wanna Single" while rendering and it's stuck in my head now. Anyway, here it is, an Indian dude throwing giant death frisbees. He's... Indian. And that's all I know about him. No animated preview, cause the program I used expired, so if someone could make one, I'll give you "Madd Coop Propz". I did the best with the sounds, so yeah. Enjoy!

(Thanks to par for the animated preview)

Y'all want a Chakra....

UPDATED: 11-6-07 Fixed .ini Please download again!

2. BadKharma

BadKharma Chieftain

Nice job I really like the fidget.

3. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

Thanks a lot; he looks great and is going straight into the mod ;) .

4. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

The metal Frisbees of DOOM!

5. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Chakras are important weapons in Indian mythology as well as in military history. The short Wikipedia article is a good introduction, with links to some other good sites. About 2/3 down this page is a description of chakra throwing technique. This is a Sikh turban in the V & A Museum with many weapons (watch out ninjas!), including several chakras; you can see echoes of this style in the turban odintheking has given us. Lest anyone think the size of this guy's chakras are exaggerated, here's an image of a Sikh drawn by Percy Brown, Principal of the Mayo School of Art & Curator of the Lahore Museum from 1899 to 1909.

and another of a modern Sikh holding one of similar size.

6. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

Good job! :thumbsup:

He looks familiar... is it... hey!
    Oddjobb!
    Where have you been then!?

7. Partizanac

Partizanac Serbian Ambassador in CFC

8. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

an Indian dude throwing giant death frisbees. :lol: Odintheking... Fine unit you made there :goodjob:

9. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Woo! I`m lovin` it! :dance:

10. Blue Monkey

Don't know how true it is, but when we were throwing them around in the 1960s there were persistent rumors that Frisbees were actually a DARPA project, for dispersing antipersonnel mines quickly and by hand. I even heard that they used something like that hand-held clay-pigeon flinger (think atlatl) to increase dispersal range.

In betwixt the chuckles (which I have to share, since a lot of the best chakra info on the webs is posted on frisbee history sites) consider this.

11. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

I guess discuss throw would be nearly identical. Cool unit, though it does bring back memories that I wish would remain forgotten. Xena :cringe: . Enough said.

12. Blue Monkey

Some where amongst my many folders and book marks are a couple of images of early stone chakras (smaller hole, flying saucer shape) that look remarkably like the discus.

13. Ares de Borg

Ares de Borg Norman Knight

Very nice! But shouldn't it be called Chakram Thrower? Chakra is this divine weapon and some obscure power circle, no?

14. CC-2224

CC-2224 Look! A Chicken!

Lookin' good, Odin! Love the anim where he tosses the chakra up an catches it.

15. Dark Crusader

Dark Crusader Chieftain

Nice job! Another henchman far an esentric villan... mwha ha ha ha

16. Blue Monkey

Actually both words are used both ways. India has hundreds of languages, dialects, etc. Even more confusing is that transliteration into western alphabets is not straightforward, for example, what we would write as "a" could be any several different sounds just in Sanskrit. There's something like 6 different "S" sounds. What's pronounced vs. what is written varies from region to region & over time as well. Then there's the complex ways word endings change depending on context.:crazyeye: Chakra, Cakra, Chakram, Chakkrath - all are basically the same word. This site on the history of the weapon uses three different spellings in the first five sentences, and also calls it a quoit.

"Chakra" means circle, and is used in many contexts. "Chakravartin" means Universal Emperor, both because he rules the whole circuit of the world, and because he spins the wheel of right action ( Dharmachakra) for all beings. Most of the divine weapons are named with an additional word that defines history, ownership, or attributes - Sudarshana Chakra for example. And the chakras within the body are centers understood as globes or whirlpools of spiritual energy that are balanced and activated through certain meditation techniques.

17. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

Hot stink fricking ass kick awesome woohoo! I'm sorry, but subcontinental Indian units are sweet, and razor-sharp metal Aerobees are too incredibly cool. I can't imagine how you wouldn't cut your hand throwing one of these things. Wowzers.

18. Spacer One

Spacer One Avatar subject to change

brilliant work on a much requested unit...Thanks :thumbsup:

19. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

Looks great! I wouldn't want this thing to slice my head off!

20. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

Thanks everybody. Especially Par for the preview, :).