[GS] Changes that wish to be in GS

For me it's all contingent on how well the Empire queue system ends up. That's actually going to be my major decision on whether I buy this product, so I hope it's good

Ability to sort the list of cities in the information panel by name, age, size, production strength, etc.

A proper unit list.

In case you don't know, it has been done in Better Report Screen, and in a manner that FXS will never be able to do. Try it.

In case you don't know, it has been done in Better Report Screen, and in a manner that FXS will never be able to do. Try it.
Thanks. I try not to use mods but if I ever change my mind about that I'll check it out.

Thanks. I try not to use mods but if I ever change my mind about that I'll check it out.

If you think like me, I assume you really mean "gameplay altering mods"... when it comes to UI only mods, such as Better Report Screen, etc., I think you are missing some very good quality of life enhancements... try them out, I think you will never look back.

First. Theatre Squares do get adjacency from a City Centre ... you just have to build the Theatre Square in a triangle with say a Commercial Hub. I find that works pretty well, and makes getting that +1 just a little more satisfying.

Second. I’ve tried giving IZs bonuses for lumber mills. They end up way, way too powerful. That’s why I went with +1 for strategic resources. You rarely get crazy insane good IZs, although when you do it’s very satisfying, but you average IZ tends to be just better (around maybe +4 to +6). I’m currently giving Workshops +1 Housing and giving Pastures in that City +1 Food (borrowed from @FearSunn ).

To be clear, while IZs need a small buff, I don’t think lumbermills do. They’re very god for what they are, and GS will make them even more valuable now you don’t want to be provoking draughts by chopping everything.
Fair points when looking at it from a gameplay perspective. I like to look at certain things from a real life perspective so I thought it would make sense because prominent theaters, museums, and broadcast centers tend to be near the center of cities. I could argue commercial hubs too but that is the triangle that I mostly do with the city center and harbor anyways. Right now if I want to build a Theater square I plan out my future wonders as well around it.
Same goes for the Industrial Zone, more specifically the workshop being better using lumber mills because all of the timber. But that's why these are only minor changes and I could easily change some of them myself if I wanted, the major ones I'll try first.

Sambadrome > eternal 4,000-year "street carnival"
Wow never knew there was a specific name for one. It's not as glaring as the others but it will do.

For me it's all contingent on how well the Empire queue system ends up. That's actually going to be my major decision on whether I buy this product, so I hope it's good

I want to see more than just this given the state of the UI, but this would go a long way by itself if it's any good.

• In late game when I have lots of cities with lots of production it can get tedious to assign something to build to 10+ cities every turn. (Looks like queues are making a return, so yay!)
  • Screen-clutter with messages like "Enemy archer dealt 2 damage to your battleship" and gossip-messages are annoying. (I read somewhere that they want to change this, too. yay!)
  • When chosing a target tile for a bombing run for an airplane, clicking and dragging to pan the map launches the attak on the tile you clicked (and dragged). (or did this already get fixed?)
  • Building roads with military engineers is very unsatisfactory because of only two build-charges. (Maybe I'll have to try England first when GS comes out)

Sticking to simple things they could tweak...
  • Aircraft carrier formations should get more air slots
  • as mentioned, sortable reports.
  • production queue is a godsend!
  • after you move a unit, an interrupt in the goto next unit if you select another unit (we all hate this)
  • a few GPs imo need some tweaking:
  1. einstein should apply to research labs and not unis;
  2. Mary leaky is insanely strong for being atomic instead of information era.
  3. in general, too many GPs give the same eureka (like computers.) mix it up, even random eureka.
  4. Great engineer code cleanup for double activation with mausoleum- some stack and some don't.
  • A long hard look at t1/t2/t3 buildings across districts and balancing their production costs to be in line with each other
  • Same thing for units that come from the same era- need to have costs in line.
  • Some people have suggested that Mvemba's ability that grants you a founder belief doesn't actually work. Just fix that.
  • A good think about whether mounted units should face vs city penalties or defensive terrain restrictions.
  • Just me but I think cities should lose their defense scaling with #of districts. I'd rather see districts give small bonuses to city (not wall) HP instead.
  • Great admirals need to have their city transfer ability work at any harbor, not just cities. I get them spawning in lakes all the time.
  • A civilopedia page that details just how exactly tourists are calculated. Someone made that code and he can write a quick blurb so we aren't all in the dark.
  • Give me a trebuchet unit (base unit for the domrey.) It's the superior siege engine and you will get infinite meme publicity.
  • Quick rebalance of the UIs of some civs, especially vanilla ones. The sphinx isn't great, but what really kills it is the lack of boosts as you tech up. The polder or kampung or mekewap aren't that great when you unlock them but get tons of boosts as you tech up.
  • The AI needs to keep producing units during wars after their initial army gets wiped: some civs will do this but it doesn't seem like their 60-80% production boost is showing with the slow trickle they put out.
  • Partisans mission needs to either go away or get way more restricted. It's anti-fun. That is the mortal sin of game design.
  • Gonna be real frank here. Sometimes it is just way too hard to ever get friendship with the AI on hard difficulties. This means little alliance play. :(
  • You only get era score for district adjacency if the district has the adjacency when it is completed, not after the fact. This feels like an oversight or the text needs correcting.
  • It may make sense to program in some Ai policy build orders. I don't know what the heck they slot but there's a lot left on the table if it's haphazardly done.
I think the above is a decent list of some simple stuff that could be tweaked. Even checking off a handful of them would be a grab bag of pleasant surprises.

It seems like they’re putting emphasis on consuming resources. Horses are kind of a weird resource to consume since horses can be bred. It’s not like civilizations ever had a shortage of horses that I know of. By the middle ages horses were widespread and mostly domesticated and not considered a “resource”.

But war horses were still a commodity that was traded.

I'd like to see them revamp/improve the espionage system. Right now it's pretty tedious if you recruit all of your spies, and to me (and granted I've only played up to King difficulty so far) the success chances are so high that there's barely any risk.

I kind of want to see corporations again, too.

Things I want changed: Georgia

Things that should be changed: Georgia

Things that probably won't get changed: Georgia ( :( )

• Deserts (and Snow) should be considered rough terrain and use up another movement point.
  • Districts should gain a half district bonus for every coastal tile they are next to.
  • The first ship should be a ranged one so that it can interact with land units.
  • Ships should have the ability to take out goody huts on ‚coastal‘ land tiles.
  • Coastal Cities should get a special city center building like the watermill.
  • Not all AI cities should be settled exactly three tiles apart.
That‘s it for me for now with the small little changes

Last edited:
Total rework for Russia. Cause completely broken. Even if I love playing it of course, it is not serious to have this in the game. The second best civ is just far far away and it does not make sense.

I often get offered silly deals by the AI like: 2 strategic ressources, 4 luxuries, 1 work of art, my house, my car, and my firstborn son for a measly 2 gold per turn.
Why though?

I often get offered silly deals by the AI like: 2 strategic ressources, 4 luxuries, 1 work of art, my house, my car, and my firstborn son for a measly 2 gold per turn.
Why though?
it's something they do when they have denounced you... programmed to propose trade deals while also programmed to only accept deals that are unreasonably scewed in their favor.

Sticking to simple things they could tweak...
  • Aircraft carrier formations should get more air slots
  • as mentioned, sortable reports.
  • production queue is a godsend!
  • after you move a unit, an interrupt in the goto next unit if you select another unit (we all hate this)
  • a few GPs imo need some tweaking:
  1. einstein should apply to research labs and not unis;
  2. Mary leaky is insanely strong for being atomic instead of information era.
  3. in general, too many GPs give the same eureka (like computers.) mix it up, even random eureka.
  4. Great engineer code cleanup for double activation with mausoleum- some stack and some don't.
  • A long hard look at t1/t2/t3 buildings across districts and balancing their production costs to be in line with each other
  • Same thing for units that come from the same era- need to have costs in line.
  • Some people have suggested that Mvemba's ability that grants you a founder belief doesn't actually work. Just fix that.
  • A good think about whether mounted units should face vs city penalties or defensive terrain restrictions.
  • Just me but I think cities should lose their defense scaling with #of districts. I'd rather see districts give small bonuses to city (not wall) HP instead.
  • Great admirals need to have their city transfer ability work at any harbor, not just cities. I get them spawning in lakes all the time.
  • A civilopedia page that details just how exactly tourists are calculated. Someone made that code and he can write a quick blurb so we aren't all in the dark.
  • Give me a trebuchet unit (base unit for the domrey.) It's the superior siege engine and you will get infinite meme publicity.
  • Quick rebalance of the UIs of some civs, especially vanilla ones. The sphinx isn't great, but what really kills it is the lack of boosts as you tech up. The polder or kampung or mekewap aren't that great when you unlock them but get tons of boosts as you tech up.
  • The AI needs to keep producing units during wars after their initial army gets wiped: some civs will do this but it doesn't seem like their 60-80% production boost is showing with the slow trickle they put out.
  • Partisans mission needs to either go away or get way more restricted. It's anti-fun. That is the mortal sin of game design.
  • Gonna be real frank here. Sometimes it is just way too hard to ever get friendship with the AI on hard difficulties. This means little alliance play. :(
  • You only get era score for district adjacency if the district has the adjacency when it is completed, not after the fact. This feels like an oversight or the text needs correcting.
  • It may make sense to program in some Ai policy build orders. I don't know what the heck they slot but there's a lot left on the table if it's haphazardly done.
I think the above is a decent list of some simple stuff that could be tweaked. Even checking off a handful of them would be a grab bag of pleasant surprises.

All of this.

Come in FXS. All of this. All of it. Just... all of it.

I want to see more than just this given the state of the UI, but this would go a long way by itself if it's any good.

Well yes paying $40 for an empire queue would be a little questionable ;p But it would be representative of what Ed said in the Hungary stream, that he seems to be rethinking his stance on how Civ 6 should be paced and that maybe not EVERY action has to be significant as he's said in the past, and that's the kind of change of stance that I'm waiting to hear more about regarding Civ 6 in the future. That the game CAN be slow if you choose to let it be slow, but it doesn't HAVE to be slow just because the systems and tools are built specifically to be slow.

Well yes paying $40 for an empire queue would be a little questionable ;p

Okay...stupid question time (that no doubt will leave egg on my face): What is an empire queue?

Okay...stupid question time (that no doubt will leave egg on my face): What is an empire queue?

In the Hungary stream, Ed seemed to shortly mention that there would be an empire queue. My expectation of that would be a form of ledger that allows you not just to have a production queue for each individual city, but to manage all of your cities' production from that one ledger, rather than having to bounce across the map and individually queue your production city by city by city.

Civ 4 had a similar feature that happened to sort production in multiple cities at once in this fashion. For example, maybe I have 10 cities and I want my 3 most productive cities to produce 2 melee units and 1 ranged unit. Currently that takes a LOT of time and clicks to do that sort of thing along with having to bounce around the map looking at many individual cities. But if there was an empire queue you can that sort these kinds of commands more readily. You could sort the cities by Highest Production and then order them to be in those cities' production queues. This would require much less clicks and much less time. I'm hoping that what's coming out for GS is similar if not better than what Civ 4 had on this.

A lot of the reason I'm burnt out on this game is just how many unnecessary inputs are required to play Civ 6 and it's always frustrating knowing that a previous Civ game was much better at respecting my time and not forcing unnecessary clicks.

Top Bottom