[GS] Changes that wish to be in GS

I'd like to see promotions from natural wonders being displayed within the unit's stats/promotion area (not just in combat screens).
You should check out FearSunn's Unit Flag Abilities.
I'd also assume that the Natural Wonder promotions still don't carry over to units after they've been upgraded.
Nope, it's because of the way the bonuses (i.e. modifiers) are coded as an ability that only applies to a single unit. Upon upgrading, the unit essentially becomes a "new" unit so the bonus/ability doesn't carry over. FXS would have to change the code to something like how the Terra Mirabilis mod works. It changes it so that unit bonuses/abilities are coded to the actual city that has ownership of the NW, so that units that are trained in that city gain the ability and keep it throughout its upgrade path. (As long as the training city keeps ownership.)
Of course on that, it would be nice to see the AI prioritise natural wonders when settling.
That can be helped by increasing the "NATURAL_WONDER_ADJACENT_FERTILITY". Currently it's set to 1.

Do you know if it only applies to your own troops? I wouldn't want to see what promotions other Civs, have as I like that being unknown.
Only your own units.
Why don't they change it? I don't trust myself to change my files lol
I gave up a long time ago trying to make sense of FXS logic. But, it's a pretty simple change to make if you don't want a mod (Terra Mirabilis changes this number.). It's line 397 in the GlobalParameters.xml file. I have it set to 3 in my own mod.

What else does your mod do Laurana? Got a link?

I saw that Knights need horses now, I hope they still need Iron too. Knights are ridiculously strong when they arrive, it should be tough to be able to get them. Swordsmen need Iron yet Knights are much stronger than them and have a lot more movement. Knights don't arrive much later.

Though hopefully the new resource system will also limit the amount you could possibly built, even if you do possess the resources.

What else does your mod do Laurana? Got a link?
Oh, well I have several personal mods that cover different areas. I have one that covers infrastructure (e.g. buildings, wonders, improvements), another that covers units (both completely new and modifications to the base game), and another that is a catch all that deals with warmongering, governors, ai strategies/bonuses, diplomatic actions, ages/eras, etc. I have a couple others that deal with unit artdefs specifically like changing their size and the appearance of city garrisons. I also have several mod mods where I've taken another modders work and adjusted it to my own preferences.

I haven't made any of my mods public in well over a decade, around the time I was still heavily modding Civ III. Most of what I do now is for personal enjoyment or helping others with their own mods.

I'd love to see them scrap the launcher - Steam takes care of the most important feature most games' launchers provide - keeping the game up-to-date. Also, the removal of possibly the most useless screen in a video game ever:

Call me strange, but when I load a video game the first thing I want to see is this (preferably without the animations):

Subscibed! Thanks, I'll give that a try - do you happen to know if it bypasses the launcher?
Certainly not. It is a mod, so it activates only after the game has started. Launcher is before that. There are ways to disable the Launcher, both for Civ5 and Civ6, by reactivating an old one via Steam beta access and legacy code. Just google it.

So many good (as well as reasonably small!) request in this thread. I agree with a lot of them.

Here is my short list:
  • For immersion reasons I would love, if ‘Wheat’ would become a strategic ressource with the purpose to maintain (not produce!) cavalry units. (Possibly with the competing purpose to feed citizens during a drought.) But this is a way to big change. Instead, I would be willing to “settle” with heavy cavalry (knights!) requiring a constant maintenance with horses. This would make them harder to field and maintain, increasing the importance of infantry.
  • Anti-cavalry units should be able to counter the cavalry “ignore ZoC” ability. They also should negate the “Breakthroug” promotion and end any heavy cavalry turn after it attacked once. (And also possibly all “move-after-attack abilities, even if not cavalry related?) I Am not sure if, with the ability to control those elusive riders, AC-units should still be cheaper. Opinions?
  • UI: Let us place spies in cities directly on the map (in addition to the left-side list). Sometimes, I don’t care about their missions, sometimes I just want map visibility.
  • UI: Let us create trade routes by directly clicking on a target city (again: in addition to the list). Sometimes, I don’t care about the trade yields, sometimes I just want this road to be built.

Last edited:
Chateau: Just give it housing, it's literally a big house. On that note the Pa should provide housing as well since it was a fortified village.

A single house is not going to support a significant part of a city's population, never mind an aristocrat's house which isn't exactly going to be offering space to the peasantry.

Horses not needing Animal Husbandry to be seen.

Horses don't need Animal Husbandry to be seen - or are you saying this is something you want to change? Pretty sure people would be able to see horses whatever they want to do with them.

New unique ability for Gilgamesh because Epic Quest doesn't work:

Why doesn't it work? If there's a bug they can just fix it.

That's changing in GS.

Seems rather pointless. Animal Husbandry is a tech you usually want before settling a second city anyway, and all this seems to do is remove a good early production tile in the first few turns.

Agree with this. Even though they had to be introduced to the western hemisphere, their population increased rapidly on a short timescale.

To be fair this is also pretty true of metals. Very few nations that actually had the technology to do metal working couldn't access enough to field military...especially not to the point where it was the prohibitive cost factor. I struggle offhand to recall a "civ" that had "iron working" but then didn't have access to iron. Maybe the IRL trade game was super robust compared to Civ, but this seems a strange way to gate unit production if the devs want to use "historical basis" as the rationale for it.

Biological resources are pretty weirdly represented in Civ generally. You don't run out of wheat and rice forever by harvesting it, and it isn't confined to the areas where it is found naturally. Coffee and tea aren't just encountered in the landscape and plantations established where, and only where, they are found naturally. Cultivated bananas descend from an ancient cultivar resulting from artificial hybridisation of two different species, so don't exist in the wild in the familiar yellow form shown.

Seems rather pointless. Animal Husbandry is a tech you usually want before settling a second city anyway, and all this seems to do is remove a good early production tile in the first few turns.

Here's why I think they are doing it - it removes the horse barbs until they are researched by at least one nearby Civ; or maybe even by the player themselves.
So it solves the issue of some players nightmares in horse barbs right out of the gate; without changing much else about them. I think it's a finely balanced smart move myself.

I'm not sure whether it's a bug or i'm just not paying attention right, but I've been playing more aggressively recently and noticed that the AI very often just... ignores zone of control? It's IMMENSELY annoying when I try to use my melee units to stop an AI unit block their movement (or prevent them from moving and shooting in the same turn if an Archer) and they just move *right freaking past my units* and attack whatever I was trying to block them from anyway :mad:. When I move any of my units *into* an AI unit's Zone of Control tile, I can no longer disengage, which is what's supposed to freaking happen :mad::mad::mad:. Blergh. I hope they fix that, it's one of the biggest deterrents towards early game warfare for me.

Here's why I think they are doing it - it removes the horse barbs until they are researched by at least one nearby Civ; or maybe even by the player themselves.
So it solves the issue of some players nightmares in horse barbs right out of the gate; without changing much else about them. I think it's a finely balanced smart move myself.

Why not just require a civ to have learned Horseback Riding before the barbs get horses, which is in any case consistent with the way barbs get every other unit (I think - I don't think they get swordsmen with Bronze Working)?

I imagine the following conversation in barbarian camps:

Barbarian 1: Have you heard? The Scythians have discovered a powerful new weapon they call the horse.
Barbarian 2: Horses? I thought they were just a myth. What do they look like?
Barbarian 1: See that unicorn over there? Like that, only without the horn.
Barbarian 2: How do they use that as a weapon?
Barbarian 1: I'm a bit hazy on that, actually. I think they use its strength to help work the land and increase productivity. But they might just melt them down into raw materials.
Barbarian 2: Seems a lot less effort just to jump on one and charge the enemy with it.
Barbarian 1: Yeah, I thought so too. Hurry up, we've probably only got a couple of centuries before they come up with the idea as well.

Last edited:
A single house is not going to support a significant part of a city's population, never mind an aristocrat's house which isn't exactly going to be offering space to the peasantry.
Well it's still a house and aristocrats have to live somewhere.

Why doesn't it work? If there's a bug they can just fix it.
I mean change the ability or name because it has nothing to do with Sumeria at all but just another Gilgamesh-like ability.

Top Bottom