[GS] Changes that wish to be in GS

For me, there's one thing above anything else i'd like to see : an UI that that doesn't mean "Useless Interface"

If they can finally do that, i'll insta-buy this new XP happily and live with any balance issues will inevitably be introduced by the new features. If not, i'll wait for CQUI to be updated and buy at discount.

Well yes paying $40 for an empire queue would be a little questionable ;p But it would be representative of what Ed said in the Hungary stream, that he seems to be rethinking his stance on how Civ 6 should be paced and that maybe not EVERY action has to be significant as he's said in the past, and that's the kind of change of stance that I'm waiting to hear more about regarding Civ 6 in the future. That the game CAN be slow if you choose to let it be slow, but it doesn't HAVE to be slow just because the systems and tools are built specifically to be slow.

If every action were actually significant, the game would be a lot more interesting to play. The problem is that most actions are trivial or insignificant outright, despite otherwise being the purported goal.

Even regardless of that the game takes needlessly long, but it's encouraging to see any thought going to end user experience interfacing with the game. I'm certainly interested in how much it improves.

If every action were actually significant, the game would be a lot more interesting to play. The problem is that most actions are trivial or insignificant outright, despite otherwise being the purported goal.
That.
When they created Civ6 they told us they wanted to get rid of the "End Turn spam" that the late game had always been in every previous title. It was a noble goal but the way they achieved this goal was by forcing us to repeat the same meaningless actions over and over. Repeating the counter-espionage order for your spy protecting your space yard every 8 turns isn't exactly making the end game more interesting, it's just more tedious. I consider Civ6 worse than 5 when it comes to the end game for that reason.

CQUI mod alleviates this issue as some of those boring repetitive late game tasks can be automated to an extend (trade routes will auto-renew if you want it, you can queue 10 research grants in the crapload of satellite cities you planted to get more GS points) althought not every task can be easily repeated (such as spies - i actually purposefully stay away from the Machiavelianism card to avoid having to repeat my orders every 6 turns rather than 8 as i typically have more spies on counter-espionage than on offence).

Now, if really they are changing that as some of us hope, this might be the expansion that finally allows me to really enjoy this game more than once in a long while.

Of course, if they could add a competent AI that would be perfect but that's like hoping to find the gold pot under a rainbow :rolleyes:

In the Hungary stream, Ed seemed to shortly mention that there would be an empire queue. My expectation of that would be a form of ledger that allows you not just to have a production queue for each individual city, but to manage all of your cities' production from that one ledger, rather than having to bounce across the map and individually queue your production city by city by city.

Civ 4 had a similar feature that happened to sort production in multiple cities at once in this fashion. For example, maybe I have 10 cities and I want my 3 most productive cities to produce 2 melee units and 1 ranged unit. Currently that takes a LOT of time and clicks to do that sort of thing along with having to bounce around the map looking at many individual cities. But if there was an empire queue you can that sort these kinds of commands more readily. You could sort the cities by Highest Production and then order them to be in those cities' production queues. This would require much less clicks and much less time. I'm hoping that what's coming out for GS is similar if not better than what Civ 4 had on this.

A lot of the reason I'm burnt out on this game is just how many unnecessary inputs are required to play Civ 6 and it's always frustrating knowing that a previous Civ game was much better at respecting my time and not forcing unnecessary clicks.

Okay so you're talking a couple of different things:
1) A build queue
2) An all my cities management screen

The lack of the latter in particular has irked me to no end (even V had a sortable city screen!). An empire build queue makes me think of an instruction like in IV where you could repeat the same queue in city after city.

y
1) A build queue

The lack of the latter in particular has irked me to no end (even V had a sortable city screen!)..
Yeah I have very minimal spreadsheet skill and even I know how to make things sort by column. This isn't some new technology.

1) A build queue

The lack of the latter in particular has irked me to no end (even V had a sortable city screen!). An empire build queue makes me think of an instruction like in IV where you could repeat the same queue in city after city.

You could select multiple cities both from main screen or from city list, and apply single builds, queues, or even permanent loops to them as desired in Civ 4. It was far and away superior to Civ 6's setup to this point, even before we get into unit waypointing post-production which even Warlords 2 from early-mid 1990's managed (despite having limited stacking!).

Quality of life improvements (unit cycling, UI etc), bug fixing (aircraft carriers, alert function etc) and AI improvements (diplomacy, land, sea and air combat etc) would be at the top of my list. Also improvements to road building and stacked unit combat (definitely into wish list territory here).

even before we get into unit waypointing post-production
I like to imagine there was one guy at firaxis who knew how the preprogrammed pathfinding algorithm works, and he left after civ5, and now no one wants to touch it because when they do, everything explodes. You would think it would have been shuffled around so units wouldn't ask for new orders unless the current step of the order couldn't be done, instead of a future step. Comment your code heavily, people!

I know this has been covered before, but...

Improvements need to survive capture.

There are so many unique improvements in the game. They look fab.

But having them disappear when you capture cities is the pits. You loose all that visual character. It’s ... depressing.

I mean, seriously. I can capture the Pyramids, but I can’t capture a Sphinx?

I can’t even capture a golf course?

I don’t want the yields . Keep em. I just literally want the improvements to remain.

Make the tiles non-workable by a capturing AI. Instead, the conquering Civ has to remove the improvement before they use the land. If that’s too harsh, maybe a one-off culture or era score bonus capturing a city with unique improvements - but the improvements are still not workable. Whatever.

I just want to capture a Polder. Or, you know, have some Roman Forts in England.

I want to be able to negociate peace between my AI ally and the city state I'm trying to woo.

I like to imagine there was one guy at firaxis who knew how the preprogrammed pathfinding algorithm works, and he left after civ5, and now no one wants to touch it because when they do, everything explodes. You would think it would have been shuffled around so units wouldn't ask for new orders unless the current step of the order couldn't be done, instead of a future step. Comment your code heavily, people!

Even in civ 5, the pathing of units overlapping resulted in lots of broken orders. This is another area where Warlords 2 straight up beats the UI in Civ 5/6 :p.

I mean, seriously. I can capture the Pyramids, but I can’t capture a Sphinx?

I can’t even capture a golf course?

I don’t want the yields . Keep em. I just literally want the improvements to remain.

Make the tiles non-workable by a capturing AI. Instead, the conquering Civ has to remove the improvement before they use the land. If that’s too harsh, maybe a one-off culture or era score bonus capturing a city with unique improvements - but the improvements are still not workable. Whatever.

I just want to capture a Polder. Or, you know, have some Roman Forts in England.

You could have the titles be unworkable and when cleared you get the pillage yield. That gives you something at least.

I'd rather just let you keep them. If that helps warmongers too much, you could always come up with a reduced yield.

Harbors moved to shipbuilding will keep me playing.
More civs to play against with early OP unit stregths just make me want to slit my wrists.

What if you require Celestial Navigtion for Mathematics? There's some logic there as much of the early mathematics were based around calculating the skies. Plus the tech gives you a boost for ships. You would have to make it better, though.

What if you require Celestial Navigtion for Mathematics? There's some logic there as much of the early mathematics were based around calculating the skies. Plus the tech gives you a boost for ships. You would have to make it better, though.
That sounds good but it is like some eurekas are just not worth getting, and that would be one.

Dear FXSanta,

I’ve been a good boy this year. Please tone down your loyalty constraints upon city-settling, so that we can actually make colonies. I don’t think it makes sense that the mere act of far-settling should be the heavy factor in determining a city’s loyalty. Sometimes I don’t even settle that far, but somehow having more neighboring cities automatically makes them loyalty-bullies. I wish you could just build the loyalty system upon the happiness pressure and revolt mechanics you had in Civ 5. Actions and public opinion should matter more than mere settling location.

Sincerely,

A player that has no interest in playing England and Spain.

I'm not sure I'm following you.
To get the entertainment inspiration you must have finished construction, that’s very restrictive
Or to get the frigate eureka you must have killed a unit with a musket man
There are plenty of others where if for example you want to beeline printing, getting the eureka off knights may not be worth it (playing peacefully)... because knights are not much use to you and it takes longer to get knights than the inspiration value

Sticking to simple things they could tweak...
  • Aircraft carrier formations should get more air slots
  • as mentioned, sortable reports.
  • production queue is a godsend!
  • after you move a unit, an interrupt in the goto next unit if you select another unit (we all hate this)
  • a few GPs imo need some tweaking:
  1. einstein should apply to research labs and not unis;
  2. Mary leaky is insanely strong for being atomic instead of information era.
  3. in general, too many GPs give the same eureka (like computers.) mix it up, even random eureka.
  4. Great engineer code cleanup for double activation with mausoleum- some stack and some don't.
  • A long hard look at t1/t2/t3 buildings across districts and balancing their production costs to be in line with each other
  • Same thing for units that come from the same era- need to have costs in line.
  • Some people have suggested that Mvemba's ability that grants you a founder belief doesn't actually work. Just fix that.
  • A good think about whether mounted units should face vs city penalties or defensive terrain restrictions.
  • Just me but I think cities should lose their defense scaling with #of districts. I'd rather see districts give small bonuses to city (not wall) HP instead.
  • Great admirals need to have their city transfer ability work at any harbor, not just cities. I get them spawning in lakes all the time.
  • A civilopedia page that details just how exactly tourists are calculated. Someone made that code and he can write a quick blurb so we aren't all in the dark.
  • Give me a trebuchet unit (base unit for the domrey.) It's the superior siege engine and you will get infinite meme publicity.
  • Quick rebalance of the UIs of some civs, especially vanilla ones. The sphinx isn't great, but what really kills it is the lack of boosts as you tech up. The polder or kampung or mekewap aren't that great when you unlock them but get tons of boosts as you tech up.
  • The AI needs to keep producing units during wars after their initial army gets wiped: some civs will do this but it doesn't seem like their 60-80% production boost is showing with the slow trickle they put out.
  • Partisans mission needs to either go away or get way more restricted. It's anti-fun. That is the mortal sin of game design.
  • Gonna be real frank here. Sometimes it is just way too hard to ever get friendship with the AI on hard difficulties. This means little alliance play. :(
  • You only get era score for district adjacency if the district has the adjacency when it is completed, not after the fact. This feels like an oversight or the text needs correcting.
  • It may make sense to program in some Ai policy build orders. I don't know what the heck they slot but there's a lot left on the table if it's haphazardly done.
I think the above is a decent list of some simple stuff that could be tweaked. Even checking off a handful of them would be a grab bag of pleasant surprises.
Brilliant write-up.

A few additional wishes from my end:
  • Capturing a city should spawn some hostile military units belonging to opponent.
  • Late-game production costs needs to be toned down across the board, not just buildings but also units.
  • Add AI sanity check for proposing deals: If AI is willing to offer me less than 50 % of default value, they should not come asking. If I want to sell them all my luxuries for 1 gold, I'll let them know.
  • Commercial Hub gets adjacency bonus from luxury resources.
  • Workshop adds additional production on all mineable resources.
  • Promotion trees for Inquisitors and Spies instead of random selections.
  • (Obviously not happening, but:) A completely new road-making system.
  • (Obviously not happening, but:) Commercial Hub gets water equivalent (like the Water Park). Harbor district focuses solely on naval military units.

Top Bottom