Changing a Starting Civic

I've made some minor (to start with) modifications to civics (renamed some, moved some around to different categories, etc.). Everything looks good. But now I want to change my starting Government Civic to Chiefdom from Despotism (which is still in). Chiefdom is the old Theocracy (just changed the name and bonuses [no bonuses and no pre-req]) and is in the first position in the Government column.

I have changed the starting government tech in Civ4CivilizationsInfo from CIVIC_DESPOTISM to CIVIC_THEOCRACY for all civilizations. However, when I go into the game, Despotism (which is now position 2 in the Government column) is still highlighted as the starting government civic.

Can anyone help me change this?

Thanks!

This is because the game doesn't default to the "first" civics, it has to be told which civics are first. If you look in CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml, you'll see that each civ has their initial civics specified. Since you still have a civic with the "Despotism" label it goes there (if you didn't, I believe it would simply crash).

Thank you both for replying, but as I said in my first post . . .

(1) My new starting civic has no tech requirements (in fact, the 'new' Despotism does have a tech requirement and is still chosen as the starting civic)

(2) I already changed the Government starting civic for all civs in the CivilizationsInfo file.

My question was: despite these facts, why is my starting Governement civic still Despotism?

Thanks.

Thank you both for replying, but as I said in my first post . . .

(1) My new starting civic has no tech requirements (in fact, the 'new' Despotism does have a tech requirement and is still chosen as the starting civic)

(2) I already changed the Government starting civic for all civs in the CivilizationsInfo file.

My question was: despite these facts, why is my starting Governement civic still Despotism?

Thanks.

Maybe you aren't editing the Beyond the Sword files but rather the old Warlords or Civ4 vanilla xmls?

Thanks, Androrc. It was a good thought. I gave it a try but got the same result.

Check out this screen shot to see what happens. Notice how the Chiefdom picture is showing (usually the pic for inactive civics is not showing) but not highlighted.

Attachments

• wrong_starting_civic.jpg
    wrong_starting_civic.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 167
Do you have a map?
Because the civics are also stored in the map file.

No, I'm using random maps.

And did you minimum hit one time the end turn button? I guess after one round it will switch.

It would seem your suspicion is correct. After 1 turn, the Government Civic defaulted to my new starting civic.

Why would it display so oddly on the first turn? Is it hard coded in some way? This seems very strange to me, and I would like to change this if possible. (After all, I am a perfectionist. :D )

Thanks,

CK

You are only switched to the other civ because you don't meet the requirements for the other yet (tech). That will only work for ancient start though I assume :p
The problem is still very much there. Maybe you should post your modified xml files so someone can take a look and maybe find something you missed/messed up?

If your mod is based on BAT you will probably need to change the starting civics for each civilization (if that's where they go) in the Varietas Delectat files (Modules folder).

Top Bottom