"Charges dropped against Marine reservist accused of attacking priest in Tampa"

Formaldehyde

Both Fair And Balanced
I posted this story in Turner's NOTW thread back in November where it provoked a lot of comments:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8631769&postcount=668

And now, the charges against him have been dropped because the DA apparently doesn't think they have a case which is strong enough...

http://www.tampabay.com/news/charge...ervist-accused-of-attacking-priest-in/1078441

Spoiler :
TAMPA — For four months, Jasen Bruce was cast as the bad guy in the story of the Marine and the priest.

Police said Bruce, a 28-year-old Marine reservist, beat a Greek Orthodox priest with a tire iron on Nov. 9. The beating occurred after Father Alexios Marakis asked Bruce for directions, police said.

Bruce maintained that he acted in self-defense and that Marakis grabbed his genitals and tried to rob him in a parking garage.

Bruce was arrested on a charge of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon. The case gained national attention and drew strong reactions from the public, most of it negative toward Bruce.

On Tuesday, the Hillsborough State Attorney's Office announced it will not pursue any criminal charges against him.

What really happened that day is still unclear. Prosecutors didn't say Bruce's version of events was correct, just that they couldn't prove it wasn't.

"After considering the law, the evidence, and the information and arguments provided by defense counsel, it is evident that we cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr. Bruce committed a crime and acted without legal justification," said Assistant State Attorney Michael Sinacore.

In a news conference a few hours later at his lawyer's office in St. Petersburg, Bruce said that he's lost his faith in people and religion, but that he would forgive the priest, whom he wants to "man up" about the truth.

"I do forgive him for what he's done to me," he said. "… I'm over it."

• • •

In the fall, Marakis, 29, was working on his master's thesis at St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Tarpon Springs.

On Nov. 9, he got lost after ministering at a nursing home, church officials said.

Police said that his outdated GPS led him to take a wrong turn off Interstate 275, and that he followed a line of cars into a parking garage for the Seaport Channelside condominiums to ask for directions. Police said Marakis, who is bearded and was wearing a robe, used the broken English he knew to ask "please" and "help."

The priest told police that he approached Bruce asking for help and directions.

Police said Bruce hit the priest on the head with a tire iron, chased him for three blocks and pinned him, all while telling a 911 operator that the man looked like he was from Afghanistan, that he had tried to rob him and that he had grabbed his genitals and propositioned him for sex.

Bruce also claimed the father yelled "Allahu Akbar," Arabic for "God is great." Those are the same words some witnesses heard a man utter when he killed 13 people in a highly publicized shooting at Ford Hood the week before.

Police believed the priest.

Marakis was taken to the hospital to get stitches in his head. Bruce was arrested.

• • •

Jerry Theophilopoulos, an attorney for the priest and church, called what happened an act of "roid rage."

And he said Bruce — a 220-pound pharmacy manager who blogs photos of himself flexing his muscles and had worked as a drug informant for police — got a pass from prosecutors.

"The truth of the matter is either the State Attorney's Office has no confidence in their attorneys or the charge was dropped due to Jasen Bruce working as a longtime confidential informant, also known as a snitch," Theophil:)opoulos said. "Unfortunately, our criminal justice system is set up in a manner that gives snitches a free pass, and that's what happened here."

Sinacore and Tampa police officials would not discuss whether Bruce worked as an informant.

But Bruce and his attorney confirmed Tuesday that Bruce had gone undercover for police, setting up someone in a drug case.

"It has nothing to do with this case," Bruce said Tuesday.

Sinacore said the decision not to prosecute Bruce was based solely on the evidence and the law.

"The assertions by Mr. Theophilopoulos are false," Sinacore said. "Whether or not he was a confidential informant was not even a consideration in our decision."

Theophilopoulos said Marakis returned to Greece in mid January after finishing his thesis but had been willing to come back and cooperate with authorities.

• • •

Bruce and his attorney, Jeff Brown, praised Sinacore for the decision not to pursue the charge.

Brown said he and his own investigators found that the priest knew how to speak English better than what police and church officials had portrayed.

They also said they don't believe the priest was really lost, pointing out that he was in a "known gay trolling area" near a bar.

"They never should have made that arrest," Brown said.

Bruce said he has been berated by the media and has gotten hate mail.

"I feel good that I've been vindicated," Bruce said. "I defended myself that night.

"I knew I had done nothing criminal."

His attorney said a civil lawsuit has not been ruled out.

According to the Tampa Police Department report, the 911 call from Jasen Bruce lasted 7 minutes and 9 seconds. Here are some of the things he said about Father Alexios Marakis as he chased him through the Channel District:

• • •

"I got a guy who's trying to mug me. … He just grabbed my f------ b---- when I got out of my car. … I just hit him with a tire iron and he's trying to take off. He said he was going to f------ kill me. … This guy's not gonna come back. I wanna knock him out."

• • •

"He looks like a Middle Eastern guy, a Taliban guy. … He straight up looks like he came from Afghanistan … knows where I live and knows what I drive and I'm not letting him come back. I'll kill him. I got a wife."

• • •

"I can't freaking hold this guy any longer. I'm not letting him go. I'm gonna beat him until he don't move if the cops don't come. He's coming back for me."

I find this statement particularly disturbing:

They also said they don't believe the priest was really lost, pointing out that he was in a "known gay trolling area" near a bar.

Discuss.

Police said Bruce, a 28-year-old Marine reservist, beat a Greek Orthodox priest with a tire iron on Nov. 9.

[...]"I do forgive him for what he's done to me," he[Bruce] said. "… I'm over it."

"I'll kill him. I got a wife."

:rolleyes:
And people wonder why when I tell them that repealing DADT will cause more problems than they realize. :crazyeye:
I wonder what that has to do with this. :)

edit: In fact, I don't read whether or not the priest was gay, or whether he told Bruce he was. I do believe Don't Grab Balls (DGB) always needs to be in effect in any military.

I can't fault the guy for becoming violent if his sack was grabbed. :lol:

I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to the Marine. Why else would he choose to pin the guy down to the ground & then choose to call the police? Simply asking for directions is not going to cause a sane person to beat you with a tire iron, and Bruce appears to be sane.

I definitely do not believe the Priest yelled "Allahu Akbar!" Bruce is either lying or he misheard him.

In other words, he has no crediblity and was likely suffering from roid rage, not to mention suffering from a serious case of homophobia and bigotry towards Muslims. But you give the "benefit of the doubt" to him instead of an ordained priest...

In other words, he has no crediblity and was likely suffering from roid rage, not to mention a serious case of homophobia and severe bigotry towards Muslims. But you give the "benefit of the doubt" to him instead of an ordained priest...

I said I was giving the Marine the benefit of the doubt, because there is a reasonable doubt that he is guilty, and that is what matters.

Is it possible the Priest was groping him? Yes.
Is it possible the Priest was just asking directions & Bruce was roid-raging? Yes.

But if he were, why would he call the police? :confused:

Is it out of the realm of possibility that the priest was looking to release built-up urges from being a priest? Certainly not. It is well documented that ordained Priests can be pedophiles and homosexual. Was he not traveling in an area known for its gay bars? If so, then why rule out the possibility that part of Bruce's account is true?

Is it out of the realm of possibility that the priest was looking to release built-up urges from being a priest?

Greek Orthodox priests are allowed to marry. Only the opposite sex, though :lol:.

Greek Orthodox priests are allowed to marry. Only the opposite sex, though :lol:.

You learn something new each day. =o)

My point still stands, though.

In other words, he has no crediblity and was likely suffering from roid rage, not to mention suffering from a serious case of homophobia and bigotry towards Muslims. But you give the "benefit of the doubt" to him instead of an ordained priest...

Wow, someone defending and giving the benefit of the doubt to a priest on this site?

Does ex-marine trump clergy in the realm of your prejudices? Would it be any different if the ex-marine had smacked Ted Haggard in the head with a tire iron?

Ex-Marine = Symbol of evil american militarism/imperalism hyper macho sexuality and seemingly potential anti-musilm...

VS.

Ted Haggard = self hating hyprocritial gay, anti homesexual crusader and fundamentalist preacher.

Who do you pull for in that one.

Oh, man!! He is sooo...

And people wonder why when I tell them that repealing DADT will cause more problems than they realize. :crazyeye:

... completely average looking and not at all hot. I have absolutely no desire to see him lower his pants just a wee bit more.

Nope.

(He's apparently been working out a lot since his last pic)

Man, this has gotta be tough for Forma here. Does he take the side of the overly aggressive Marine? Or the sexually deviant hypocritical religious figure? Decisions, decisions.

Hey rape doesnt occur in the us military guys only gay rape

You learn something new each day. =o)

Not only are they allowed to marry, but priests have to, if they want to get higher than a certain rank (I think they're not officially called priests if they're not married, but my knowledge of Orthodox ranks is pretty shaky, I was never really interested in the administration of any church). :) They're not allowed to do it after they became priests though, since becoming a priest is considered the most sacred of the 7 Sacred Mysteries.

Man, this has gotta be tough for Forma here. Does he take the side of the overly aggressive Marine? Or the sexually deviant hypocritical religious figure? Decisions, decisions.

Blatant trolling much? Y'know i thought you'd be on the marines side as he was beating back the evil homos much like you try to do in your tolerant, fair and definitely-not bigoted posts

ps homos are gay

I'd be willing to give the marine reasonable doubt if the GPS didn't confirm the priest was lost.

Top Bottom