ChessMaster vs Fritz

In terms of pure playing strength, fritz is better, but, well what does that mean for amateurs like us. but the playing server is also quite good, especially I like that they track down cheaters by a clever software that runs in the background and analyzes some games.

I have both Fritz 8 and Chessmaster 9000. Both are good but personally I like Chessmaster better. I think Chessmaster has a better interface and lets me do what I want without going through 7 menues looking for stuff. I haven't yet figured out if Fritz has more content or just more menues and settings.

I rarely play against the computer, mostly I analyze my games with it. If I had to pick one program or the other, the reason I would pick Chessmaster over Fritz is its "Mentor Lines" function. If Fritz has something exactly like this, I haven't found it yet. This is a window where the program for the current position display the best moves it has found so far. I hope Ubi Soft won't mind me showing you what the window looks like:

(I had to cut a little on the right to make sure it fit on this page).

As soon as you make a move it starts evaluating the new position. I find this tool to be much more useful than the long process of letting it auto-annotate the games. You can check different variations very quickly this way.

Chessmaster 9000 also has a number of annotated (in audio) games by Josh Waitzkin. Those are easily alone worth the cost of the program. I'm not sure what's included in later versions of Chessmaster. As for Fritz, you get a 1 year subscribtion to playchess.com which is very nice.

I believe Fritz is considered sligthly stronger but since both programs beat 2500+ playes with ease I'd say it's not so important (I know for a fact that Chessmaster on my system has beaten a 2300 player every time he has played so far :)). I have used both programs for a number of lengthy analyzes of games (where the computer was given 30ish hours to analyze the games and I also spent many hours checking variations) and while they were not always agreeing 100% I can't say that I found Fritz's ideas to be any stronger.

Yeah, me neither until recently. After watched that "Searching for Bobby Fischer" movie I decided to look him on (on the almighty Google) to see if it still played and found out he got into Tai Chi and push hands. I remember thinking how cool it was that he became the push hands champ. I imagine it's take a lot of self-mastery to be the best at something like that.

Yeah, Waitzkin is cool. Did you know he retired from chess and is now a champion at Push-Hands? Pretty sweet, eh? Just following his bliss like that. I thought it was so cool I wrote him an e-mail about it. But he never wrote me back. The bastard! :cry:
He finally wrote me back past Narz, don't cry! [party] (albeit, not to just me, er us)

Josh Waitzkin said:
Dear Friends, First, let me thank all of you for your incredibly kind letters. Day after day, I am honored by the generosity of your words. As you may know, for the last few years I have been working on a book. I put my full energy into the writing process—it has been a fascinating journey—and now The Art of Learning is coming out on May 8. The book begins with my discovery of chess in Washington Square Park as a six year old boy, and it ends with a narrative of the 2004 Tai Chi Chuan Push Hands World Championships—the most intense experience of my life. In between are my ideas, my joys and pains, my pursuit of excellence in chess and the martial arts. The book comes from my heart. I hope it is a story you find compelling. If you would like more information about my new book, please visit: www.joshwaitzkin.com. You can also read the Introduction at The Art of Learning Excerpt and you can see me speaking about the book at Josh on The Art of Learning

Many of you probably know that for the last ten years I have been very active in the fight against Muscular Dystrophy. It all began in 1997 when I met a wonderful young boy with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, Jonathan Wade. Jonathan is now 22 years old, a dear friend and one of the most inspiring human beings I have ever known.

In the last few months I have received countless requests for signed copies of the book, and now I am teaming up with Jonathan and the Muscular Dystrophy Association to offer a limited amount of autographed First Edition copies of The Art of Learning. The signed books will sell for the retail price of $25. This is a fundraiser I am doing in coordination with the Memphis Chess Club, and ALL profits will be going to research at the Muscular Dystrophy Association. This is a very exciting time in the fight against MD and any help we can give could put us over the top. If you are interested in reserving your autographed copy, please visit: The Art of Learning for MDA

In any case, thank you, once more, for your correspondence over the years. Please keep in touch!

Yours, Josh Waitzkin

Top Bottom