China - Qin Shi Huang Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by How to know, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

There would be no point in building the linking tiles, which is the problem. That may be why they have an adjacency bonus...but we'll see.

2. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

You probably don't need to constantly man all tiles that the wall covers; only the direction your opponent is coming from. (It's just as bad an offensive tactic to spread your forces in a thin long line with no reserves as it is a defensive one)

Either way, it's all about at a key point concentrating a larger portion of your army against a smaller portion of your opponents.

I basically see the Great Wall as something to do far in advance of when you think you'll actually need it. (Closer to that time, things like military units are going to take priority.)

3. Reboot

Reboot Privateer

The Great Wall sounds a bit weak and it actually eats into the Workers advantage since you'll need to expend the Worker's charge(s) to make the Wall instead of contributing to some other infra/wonder.

The Great Wall itself is a tile improvement and that's static - it's not always going to be useful unless you build a whole lot of it at different parts of your empire - and that comes back to the expenditure of Worker charges. And not to mention the requirement to have units on the wall to take advantage of the +DEF benefit before the enemy captures it for his use (maybe the +DEF only applies to the owner civ...)

I'm thinking this somewhat weaker Infra trait is meant to balance other traits that are pretty strong - like bonuses during Eureka, Workers with extra charges, etc.

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I hope there is a policy for cheap workers.

5. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I believe there's a policy that gives builders an additional charge, which would up Chinese builders to 5 charges. I'm not sure exactly where I heard that, but there are several examples in screenshots and videos where non-Chinese builders have 4 charges.

6. m15a

m15a Emperor

Are you thinking of the Great Pyramids effect actually? I had the same thought, but then checked your page and realized I was probably misremembering. :)

7. OnceAKing

OnceAKing Warlord

Unless you're on an island, or playing a hilly map, you'll have at least one broad border + that was kind of the point of the great wall. And my scenario presupposes you've already built the wall.

If you a 5 tile wall with no movement cost, having even one tile free means the army can come through that tile.

Now say you have 5 men lined up. No offensive army would spread out as well, they just go to the very end of the wall. Line 2 melee units in front of one man at the end. Line 3 range behind them. Fire 3 range shots and 2 melee hits. Eventually that one man is going down. Once he goes down, you send your army through that gap. Now you've flanked the 4th unit on the wall, and at this point the wall is nearly useless.....

8. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Yeah, that's it.

9. cakes

cakes Prince

i think having to choose between building your wall or building your wonders is a good aspect of the gameplay. and at least there is that extra charge

10. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

But the Great Wall at this stage risks being the new "Free Gold or Cutlure in Relic from BE" choice.

If Great Wall is as weak (I mean, Gold is nice sure but I with trade routes chances are you'll find other means to make money) I'm almost always going to use my builders to build up my infrastructure.

11. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

You get tourisme of it because foreign people want to visit youre ancient wonders and buildings. Makes sence actually Thats why eifel tower gives tourisme in civ 5

12. anandus

anandus Errorist

In the France video @ 1:09 we can see that the agenda of Qin is "Wall of 10.000 Li", which I suppose is building a wall of a certain lenght.
    Not sure if that was already known.

13. TheMarshmallowBear

Building a wall is not his agenda

His attitude will change depending on the number of wonders the others possess (he prefers leaders with less wonders than him or something like that).

14. anandus

anandus Errorist

Hmm.. Okay. Well, then it's a weird name for his agenda.

15. TheMarshmallowBear

Yes, but given how strange all of these names are i'm not surprised. :lol:

16. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I assume that the Wall of 10,000 Li would be a hidden agenda for China. Building the Great Wall of a certain length. Maybe other Civs have hidden agendas that revolve around their unique buildings, tile improvements or units? So France could desire to build a certain number of chateaus, for example.

17. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

i guess the hidden agenda is not the same each time and might be not unique for that civ. otherwise why should it be hidden?

18. TheMarshmallowBear

Nice idea but Hidden Agendas are always randomized, and this was listed as his Historical Agenda.

19. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I would assume so. China's hidden agenda one game could be Wall of 10,000 Li or have the biggest navy another game or perhaps something to do with their crouching tiger cannons in yet another game.

20. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Looks like it's historical, and not random. But it probably is building it a specific size, and the number of tiles covered in the video would be my best guess.