[RD] Chinese Economic Struggles

It's a hard path to see. You either stop it in a way where the restrictions eventually end, or you get proper vaccination and then open up populations slowly enough such that the healthcare system doesn't break down.
Yes, and it is compounded by an old vaccine and a healthcare system that can be easily overwhelmed. In addition, much of the elderly are not vaccinated. HK is trying to open up now. It might be their test case.

Hu thrown out of Chicom goon congress by other Chicom goons

Put out to pasture or are they sending him straight to the firing squad?
Probably nothing so radical.

Also Li Keqiang is out, along with two more – his faction – of the Party top seven. Speculations about the replacements. Expected to be Xi stalwarts, and he has now comprehensively won the power-struggle inside the party, and the main opposing faction (Shanghai) is defanged and declawed, and at best has to start working towards for a comeback.

Expectation for China to continue like it so far has under Xi – only more so. Emphasis on the centrality of the Party in all aspects of life, and on the ideological stricture of Marxist Maoism. The economy is just a means for the Party, and everything else hardly even secondary.

Our reporting has that there really might be less focus on economy ongoing and more focus on military. Given that they're going to predate off of their neighbors, this makes a lot of sense. Er, except predation is less efficient than actual growth, but there might be other reasons that make it a twofer.

Old as time. They don't have enough women and those take both women and a long time to produce. Given the rate at which they stay overseas when they leave, the super closing down makes sense, too.

CCP cares more about control than prosperity. If 500 million Chinese have to die that's a price Xi is willing to pay.

CCP cares more about control than prosperity. If 500 million Chinese have to die that's a price Xi is willing to pay.
I can't help but observe that armchair political scientists on social media tend to make conjectures about how CCP thinks as if they read minds. Then they follow up with some hyperbole like the second sentence above.

What's also funny is that often times these conjectures conflict with each other depending on the individual. Like on the matter of Ukraine, I've seen people proclaiming any of the following and then putting a negative spin on it:
  • CCP is gleeful of a Russian collapse to retake Outer Manchuria
  • CCP is fearful of a Russian collapse and will prop them up to the best of their abilities
  • CCP only cares about CCP and doesn't care about the outcome
  • CCP wants Russia and NATO to duke it up while it munches pop-corn
Like CCP is an authoritarian regime and all but it seems like people sometimes get too wrapped up with painting it as cartoonishly evil.

You know, let me follow up with my own negative spin to counter your's: CCP would never allow 1/3 of its population to die because all it cares is the economy and will replace Xi with another puppet if needed.

Imagine such a facility in your country. Where could it be?

Foxconn’s Zhengzhou facility, which Mr. Liu said has more than 200,000 workers, was earlier expected to make more than 80% of the latest iPhone 14
base models and 85% of the high-end Pro models, according to Counterpoint Research.

I accidentally drove up to the Tesla factory in Fremont during afternoon rush hour. It could have been worse, but I was stuck in a line of cars for like 10 minutes just trying to get back out from the road that leads in (and there are two exits).

Foxconn is 10 times that. Obviously they "solve" the problem with a dorm, lock-ins, and other abuses. We wouldn't do that here, but we don't have the same infrastructure.

However, if we wanted to, we could have a plant assembling more iphones with fewer far workers, probably with minimal cost increases to the iphone.

Top Bottom