1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing the defender for overkill - extremely wrong with the AI

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Handel, Aug 7, 2007.

1. LordOfTheDrinks

LordOfTheDrinks Chieftain

An easy (not perfect, but pretty good, I guess) fix would be a toggle between "Prioritize best odds" and "Prioritize bonuses".

2. Florian

Florian Prince

Drinks,

That sounds like a good idea, but it would take a lot of foresight and care to use that feature well. You would have to analyze carefully how the enemy's unit mix matched up with your own before deciding which option to take. And would two different cities be allowed to defend on the same turn using two different priorities?

3. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

i have noticed that even if seige units have a higher percentage of winning, they do not defend over some units? has anyone else noticed this or am i just seeing things?

4. CreepingDeath

CreepingDeath Chieftain

I dig it. I would like to be able to pick which units my attackers attack and which of my defenders defend. Of course there could be some kind of thing that would not allow it sometimes. Maybe it could work like the withdrawal bonuses. Like if you want a unit to attack a weaker unit in your enemy's stack, maybe it could try and fail because one of the stronger enemy units came and countered your unit. Something like would be cool. Sometimes you want to destroy the weaker unit completey or go straight after the stronger unit. It could also work the same while defending. I think it would a little depth to the war part of the game.

5. Cabay Jet

Cabay Jet Warlord

Guess what happened to me in the Next War scenario. I went to war with the asians and they sent one of their missile cruisers to attack one of my stack which consisted of a missile cruiser with combat 1 and a destroyer with no promotions. The computer selected my destroyer to combat the missile cruiser and it lost. All units were at full strength and my missile cruiser/destroyer were on a coastal square. So all in all, my missile cruiser was at 48 strength and my destroyer was at 33 strength.

Something is definitely wrong here...