Christianity MUST be seperated into Protestant and Catholics

Should Christianity be split into the 2 major factions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not catholic/christian. I think this idea is stupid. From my understanding the majority of protestant denominations that broke away don't really have suc different beliefs to be considered so different. Take Anglican for example. The guy was just horny and was in love with his mistress so he wanted a divorce. Of course this isn't acceptable so he said his wife couldn't bear a son. Luther was pissed off at the church but didn't believe anything different than other catholics and of course german barons didn't want to pay the Vatican.

and by churches you mean synogague mosque etc. lol.. i agree..i dont want the game to based soley around religion..wich if you look at many ideas..that is esentially what it would be. let them just be a name...call one of your citys the vatican if you want to be catholic

nono, 'Church' in the sense of 'Church of England', meaning an organization who organizes how the religion/ belief has to be thought, when there are holidays, that you have to eat fish every friday, that you mustn't eat pork, that you have to believe in trinity or you mustn't believe in saints, etc. ...

mfg mitsho

Can someone confirm that Scientology is identified as one of the 7 major religions to be included in the game ?

Catholics and Protestants shouldn't be "seperated". This is civilization. We should be able to shape the face of the religion. When someone "founds" a religion, that religion should gradually gain traits associated with the founding civ.

I.E. If the civ is militaristic and places a low value on scientific research, than the religion would gain the traits "militant" and "fundamentalist" etc. Those traits would shape civilization attitudes towards other civs, and perhaps would confer bonuses and disadvantages, such as a penalty to research, or cheaper military units.

If you acted contrary to the tenants of a religion that has a strong following in your empire, that could cause discontent, or the religion would "schism" and form a new sect.

I.E, we take our "Fundamentalist" and "Militant" religion (Christianity, Islam, Buddhaism, whatever it happens to be). The Romans have a strong following of this religion in their empire. They maintain a small army and concentrate on culture. This may cause some discontent, and gradually, there is a "split". Now, there is a "Scholastic" and "Pacifistic" sect of this religion.

It'd make a lot more sense to split christainity into 1. "Western" Christainity (holy roman church, protanstant, all that)

and 2. Eastern Orthadox church.

There's a much bigger difference in culture between those two then protestant and catholic. The only reason the tensions between those two sects are well known is because they were both in western Europe.

Even then i'm still not in favor of it. Just having plain old christainity would be enough. Besides, if you do split them...then just where exactly would eastern orthadox fit into those two??? And it's important to remember that protastanism wouldn't exist without catholicism, so there really isn't a proper way to define them as 'two' religions.

Definitely the Reformation and Counter-reformation, as well as France's brief alternate-papacy, would make a great mod, as it was very influencial in Europe.

I think it'd over-complicate the main game, to detail sects.

I'd probably like the possibility to be a "runner-up" to discovering a religion, with that resulting in a religious 'schism' and possible wars of religion.

I voted yes, even if the idea hasn't been expressed in the best way.

I am in favour of the umbrella concept, with the 2/3 sects for the major religion models that have been expressed before. I don't care if it thins out the number of civs who technically share the same religion because I believe unless there was a current conflict between Orthodoxy and Roman Catholic churches in-game, then there ought to be some sort of slight diplomatic bonus between them etc.

As someone who would prefer generic religions anyway, I say no to separation. I would have liked it if Firaxis had just used the Delta, Epsilon, and Gamma religions so we wouldn't need arguments such as these.

Andrew_Jay said:
I foresee a schism between Civ players, those happy with the religion model and those who are not, who refuse to recognise Sid Meier as the head of the Civilization franchise and instead heavily mod and "re-interpret" the game for themselves.

As well, the highly political concern over paying hefty indulgences for several expansion packs may also lead to further defections.

:p

I declare a jihad against all of these anti-Sid folk! :D

Lambert Simnel said:
Can someone confirm that Scientology is identified as one of the 7 major religions to be included in the game ?
Not that I've heard! I guess someone will mod it in perhaps, but considering it is at best a 'new' religion, I doubt it very much.

The lastest knowledge on the various religions in the game is here:
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/info/#Religion

Aegis said:
If the sect places it's faith in Jesus, then it can be lumped together with all the other sects and labled "Christianity" can it not?

Good enough for me

Lambert Simnel said:

Considering only two countries reconize it as a religion I don't think it can be counted as a major religion.

Ghafhi said:
I'm not catholic/christian. I think this idea is stupid. From my understanding the majority of protestant denominations that broke away don't really have suc different beliefs to be considered so different. Take Anglican for example. The guy was just horny and was in love with his mistress so he wanted a divorce. Of course this isn't acceptable so he said his wife couldn't bear a son. Luther was pissed off at the church but didn't believe anything different than other catholics and of course german barons didn't want to pay the Vatican.
Actually there is a bigger difference than that.

Anglicanism, Roman Catholicism and Orthodox Churches are "catholic" in that they have apostolic sucession.

The true Protestant denominations do not.

Anglicans would like to believe that the "Church of England" began with the establishment of Christianity in the post-Roman Britain when the missionaries started spreading the religion in the pagan Anglo-Saxon kingdoms.

Anglicanism is actually considered "Catholic but not Roman Catholic" as well as "Protestant".

I can see the argument for splitting Catholic and Prostestant but I think this is best left to modding or scenarios.

Ghafhi said:

Ghafhi, please read some history books. If you think that things were this simple then you really should pick up at least one bbok about European history. The roots of Anglicanism are far more complicated than this, as is Luther's split with the church. And for your information, Luter DID believe in many very different things that most christians did not believe in. This is presicely why there was a Reformation at all.

P.S., on a side note... I am actually related to Pope Leo X, who excommunicated Luther. He actually had a few kids, LOL! Ciao.

But, Hyena, I think his point is that we Europeans/Westerners tend to simplify the hinduistic/buddhistic (or whatever Ghafhis origin is) history as much as he now did with our christian history. Thus, his point of view is to an extent viable!
And we certainly shouldn't complain if we do the same "to him".

I know that you nowhere mentioned the reverse and I am not accusing you (cause you did nothing yet), but our Western view.

Greets mitsho

i have to agree with mitsho,,,to assume that the divide in the christian church is worthy of seperatism, but to think that it is more important then any other is rather silly. i personally belive no matter where you lay in the sects of christianity...as far as the game is considerd..your christian..and if you cant stand being lumped in with someone who may have slightly different veiws then you need to take a look at the "love all " and "forgive and forget" areas of the bible that catholics baptists lutherans protestants seventh day adventists and soo on alll read

When you're inside something, you see a lot of details that people on the outside don't see. Someone who doesn't play computer games can't see much of a difference between Warcraft and Civilization, but anyone on this board could go into great detail as to what the difference is. On the other hand, I couldn't tell you much about the difference between an egret and a stork. If you grew up in the Western world, you know all kinds of Christian denominations. Other religions? Oh, that's just Buddhism. That's just Islam. They're homogeneous monoliths to you because you're looking in from the outside.

That said (and back on topic), in civ5, it would be cool if they modelled schisms and sects with religion. I don't expect them to introduce that in civ4 because it sounds like religion will be significant and complicated enough that you'd want the core to mature before elaborating on it.

Top Bottom