Christopher Tin nominated for two Grammy Awards

If only they got Tin to compose the Civ5 main menu theme. Then we might have gotten something memorable, not the mindless movie soundtrack we have now.

I agree. Some of the music in Civ V is interesting or impressive, but it can't compete with the magnificent music in Civ IV - with the exception of the late game music, which I don't care much for. The words "The people are... the heroes now" drove me nuts after a while. Like the bobbies moaning in that Monty Python sketch, "The Unknown Joke".

Öjevind Lång;9975537 said:
I agree. Some of the music in Civ V is interesting or impressive, but it can't compete with the magnificent music in Civ IV - with the exception of the late game music, which I don't care much for. The words "The people are... the heroes now" drove me nuts after a while. Like the bobbies moaning in that Monty Python sketch, "The Unknown Joke".

To be honest, I really enjoyed Adams' music in late Civ IV. But even excepting from that, I guess it all boils down to what I've written in another thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9966841&postcount=45)

Civ IV had a good selection of first class classical music, which has substance and grows on you as you get to know it. Civ V has movie soundtrack music, which is basically muzak. Brr.

Good luck to Baba Yetu btw, I really like it.

Baba Yetu still ranks as one of my favourites - from any music genre from any source or composer. Timeless and superb. Its a Just and Well Deserved nomination

Regards
Zy

Without a doubt the definitive Civilization song. Seeing it recognized means I don't feel crazy for modding it back into the Warlords title screen, or always selecting it as my BtS intro. The original Civ IV title screen was so simple, yet so epic and perfect for the game.

Even though it seems they always like to use new music in each version of Civ (or even each expansion), I think they need to go back to it for the next major version. Baba Yetu should be to Civilization what the original overworld theme is to Zelda, the original Super Mario Bros. theme is to that series, etc.

Without a doubt the definitive Civilization song. Seeing it recognized means I don't feel crazy for modding it back into the Warlords title screen, or always selecting it as my BtS intro. The original Civ IV title screen was so simple, yet so epic and perfect for the game.

Even though it seems they always like to use new music in each version of Civ (or even each expansion), I think they need to go back to it for the next major version. Baba Yetu should be to Civilization what the original overworld theme is to Zelda, the original Super Mario Bros. theme is to that series, etc.

Although naturally they don't come anywhere near "Baba Yetu", there are a couple of other old Civ tunes I'd like back. One is the special barbarian/Aztec tune that appeared in Civ I and II and which was sometimes heard as background music in Civ IV. It should be the barbarians' own tune! The other is a rather lovely melody called "The World of Jules Verne" which appeared in one of the expansion packs for Civ II.

It's on my MP3 player.

"Baba Yetu" rules supreme. And it's also the only opening movie for Civ I like - the lights coming on all over the globe. But, as I said, there are a few other melodies from various Civ issues I'd like to see back, although they are not anywhere so good. Some of them did appear as discreet background music in Civ IV. The Aztec/barbarian tune did, but only as work music, apparently signifying "All is humdrum routine here". Pity.

It really is an amazing work. I could never use any of the other title screens because they simply didn't evoke the same beauty that the baba-deku er, baba yetu opening did.

Something so... grandiose about hearing this amazingly happy uplifting song play whilst the lights around the globe shine as day turns to night. Just awesome.

Yeah, the media in Civ5 failed to keep the 'grandious and epic' nature we had in Civ4.
Honestly they could have kept the same intro movie, music, and menu as Civ4 and I would be happy with it.

Top Bottom